Portland (OR) Marathon - (Read 949 times)

A Saucy Wench

So far we have running: Ennay - #1926 srlopez - #782 Roses Revenge -#3513 WillRunForBeer Predawnrunner GottaRun2 mummydust #1229 modal - # 7009 eaglecap and Econo sitting on a couch at mile 21 in a cow shirt cheering. Anyone else? Econo - I am really excited you'll be there, one of my late race problems is looking at my feet, looking for you will help keep my head up!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Approximately 6.02 * 10^23 Maniacs will be there... beware of women and men wearing yellow.

#artbydmcbride

WillRunForBeer and predawnrunner will be there too! Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Hey I did not know WillRunForBeer was coming out here - We've been leapfrogging in the mileage chart all year, he's faster though Big grin But of course he must come to the Beer Mecca.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Roses Revenge

Approximately 6.02 * 10^23 Maniacs will be there... beware of women and men wearing yellow.
            And Roses Revenge will be one of them in her first race since gaining maniac status.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

A mole of Marathon Maniacs! Cool Cool
              xor

Finally. It only took 17 hours. No

A Saucy Wench

Finally. It only took 17 hours. No
                  you wanna know what is sad. I am a chemical engineer and I looked at that number and in the back of my brain it was shouting "hey dipshit that looks familiar LOOK at it" And my forebrain ignored me and went yadda yadda big number.

I'm running PDX too! I already have pre-race nerves! I am still trying to determine my race strategy. Can other share how they will approach the race?
                    mummydust

I'm running PDX too! I already have pre-race nerves! I am still trying to determine my race strategy. Can other share how they will approach the race?
                      I will be there too. It is fun to do a big crowd race every once in a while. Since I am also running the Bellingham Marathon this Sunday, my approach to Portland is just to smile and finish when I can. That will give me 12 marathons in the last 12 months. In the past I have set PRs there twice. Because there are so many people and no corrals, you want to position youself well. I would try to start somewhere a bit ahead of whatever pacer team you want to finish with and let them catch up to you. In past years the course has narrowed down and after a half mile of running we had to walk a bit. Just don't get freaked out and expend lots of energy trying to pass people in the first few miles. It will sort itself out eventually and you can slowly make up time. If you have an upset stomach at mile 18, do not look at the belly dancers. I used to get pre race nerves a week before a marathon, running more of them does help with that.
                      xor

I am going with the Better Off Dead strategy. Go that way, really fast. If someone (or something) gets in your way, turn. Seriously: with the exception of the bridge hill, Portland is a great race to try for even splits or a slight negative split. BECAUSE of the bridge, I know I'll run M17 slightly slower than the rest. But it has a lot of downhill towards the end which will average things out. I'm going to try to run evenly. And cruise chicks.

xor

do not look at the belly dancers
                          Bwahahahahaha.... WORD. They are not what you might be expecting.

A Saucy Wench

I think the hill that gets me is actually the one that is at about mile 2 or 3, it isnt a tough hill but it is early enough in the race that I am still settling in to my pace and I pushed it too hard last year trying to get to my pace. I'm a slow starter too so it was really pushing too hard. Yeah and then relax up mile 17, its slow, its ok. The pace teams in portland last year went off gun time so if you are wanting to stay with one of the later pace teams, you have to be prepared that they will go out faster than pace. They try to make up the chip time in the first 5-6 miles. So last year the 4 hour pace team chipped at about 3:58 etc. So yeah, start a little ahead of the pace guy if you want to stick with a pace team. hmmmm maybe the belly dancers are what did me in last year?

Roses Revenge

Because there are so many people and no corrals, you want to position youself well.
                              Last year because of the change in course from light rail construction down town they did have wave starts. Since I'm old and slow I started pretty far back and my chip time was 13 minutes faster than gun time compared to only 4 minutes difference in 2006. Looking at the course map this year it looks like we will be coming back across the river on the Broadway Bridge rather than the Steel Bridge. I expect that's also because of the light rail construction on the bridge. I'm not sure how they will route to get to the bridge. I don't think this will have any significant effect but will probably result in a slight incline there.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Thanks everyone for your input and past experience. This will be my second marathon and I am still trying to work it all out. I ran Eugene in May and finished in 4:26. I am hoping to do better in Portland and would like to come in around 4:10 to 4:20. I am a slow starter also. So, my plan is to start with the 4:15 pace group. After the St. John's bridge, if I still feel good, I will try to pick up the pace a little. Good luck to everyone!!!!! I can't wait to read the post race reports and compare stories!