Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon (Read 617 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Great morning for a race in Springfield, IL. Temperature at 7:30 was about 38. Plenty of sun. There were about 800 finishers. This was my first HM in about 10 years. I had no idea of what pace I was going to be able to hold. I have really only been running seriously again since Jan 1 and have not road raced (prior to this year) in about a decade. I had no idea what to expect this morning. I sort of planned on 6:40's at a HR of about 173 or so. Didn't happen. Locked in around 6:20 with a HR at 180 and pretty much stayed there the whole race +/- 10 seconds. The last 4 miles were very, very hilly and I discovered having big legs is a plus when running up hills. Found a running buddy in my age group and we stayed together through about mile 8. We actually chatted all the way to that point and kept telling each other we needed to slow down. He did slow down, I did not. I kept waiting to start sucking because I honestly didn't think I could maintain a 180 HR for that long. My 5K HR has been around 180 so far this year, so I was waiting for the ball to drop. It never did. The race drink was Accelerade. I grabbed about 4 cups of it and spilled most of it. It does taste nasty. Didn't think I would need to take on any real energy for a HM and I was right. I didn't even drink much water, probably less than 8 ounces. I was in 15th place at the 7 mile marker. Went through 10 miles in 1:03. Reeled in 4 people on one hill around mile 11 and finished strong in 1:22:59. 11th overall, 4th in AG of 70. I was comfortable the entire race. I never felt like I was breathing hard and I was up on the front of my feet the whole way. Thanks to MikeyMike and Jeff for the tapering advice which I sort of followed. I adopted the idea and just tweaked it a little bit. 5K next Saturday, 10K the Saturday after that. Speed workouts. I have a full M next month and will shoot for <3:00. >
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      One Impressive performance. Great race Marcus.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet work Marcus! You are gonna bust that marathon. Too bad the 4:1 race drink didn't taste any good Evil grin
          Super race, Marcus Also one of the most, if not THE most, impressive displays of treadmill training I've seen. You can't miss on the sub-3 unless you get crazy in the early miles. The 5k-10k races so close is going to make marathon pace feel like a jog, so be careful--voice of experience from a notoriously bad marathon pacer.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          mikeymike

Holy cow dude. Awesome race--amazing when you run that much faster than even you thought. Great job.

Runners run

Damned impressive. If I can hold that pace for a 5K I'm over the moon, that's one helluva half marathon.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nanorunner

Great race Marcus! My first 1/2 is next Saturday and I'd be thrilled to come in with a time 20 minutes behind yours. You mentioned the tapering advice that MikeyMike and Jeff gave you. Is their advice on these forums somewhere? With the success you had, I'd be interested in reading it too.

The Greatest of All Time

You mentioned the tapering advice that MikeyMike and Jeff gave you. Is their advice on these forums somewhere? With the success you had, I'd be interested in reading it too.
                  Just look at my log and compare volume and intensity over the last two weeks. I ran 20 less miles this week and took it pretty easy on pace. You don't need to copy it exactly, just cut back on intensity the last three days before the race. That's pretty much all that I did. Good luck!!!

Another Passion

Way to go, Marcus! Congratulations. Awesome race.

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

Way to go, Marcus! Congratulations. Awesome race.
                      Speaking of races, are you psyched or what? After my run today, I might be pacing you. Or running way way behind you. But I'm looking forward to it. You ready?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

You ready?
                        For Monkey? Sheeee-iiiittt. For everyone else that threw some love my way, thanks a bunch!!!! Big grin Although my DW, DD, and DM were there they don't 'get' it like y'all do. I don't really have any local runner friends so this is my only forum to talk all things running. Thanks for reading.

Holy crap great race man!! and you don't even look Kenyan Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Nanorunner

Just look at my log and compare volume and intensity over the last two weeks. I ran 20 less miles this week and took it pretty easy on pace. You don't need to copy it exactly, just cut back on intensity the last three days before the race. That's pretty much all that I did. Good luck!!!
                            Thanks!

My legs are killing me

Way to go Marcus! Nice job!