Sub 60s 400 MeterThread (Read 84 times)

bap

I can't see there being many replies. Big grin

I'll have to knock 12s off my PR in order to make the final of the 2017 USATF Nationals

There's nothing like planning ahead.

2013 M55 Results

================================================================
    Finals
    1 James, Ben M56 Honeoye Falls, NY - 55.46
    2 Briscoe, Rudolph M55 Kissimmee, FL - 55.91

3 Fragua, Paul M56 Albuquerque, NM - 57.23

4 Dyer, John M55 Ashland, VA  - 58.11
    5 Mason, Reginald M58 Atlanta, GA - 58.54
    6 Kelley, Charles M59 Woburn, MA - 59.25
    7 Wasson, Charles M58 Orchard Lake, MI - 59.98
    8 Beattie, Richard M55 Topeka, KS - 1:00.40

The Men's 55+ WR is 52.24.

Certified Running Coach
    Crocked since 2013

It's amazing how fast some guys are still running into their mid to late 50's. Good luck with your goal.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

It's amazing how fast some guys are still running into their mid to late 50's. Good luck with your goal.

Yes, it's amazing! But, just imagine what they were in their prime, assuming they ran then.

bap

Yes, it's amazing! But, just imagine what they were in their prime, assuming they ran then.

I don't know how many ran in their prime but they certainly weren't world-beaters. For instance, Oscar Peyton ran 11.46 for 100 meters at the age of 56, only started running at 49.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Ok, I have a dream to run a sub 60s 400m again.

Doesn't seem crazy, but the more I learn about it, the crazier and more naive the dream seems.

I don't have to be that fast.  A 30s 200m?   Maybe that is fast now, but that's all it would take to do it.  I used to do a 26.5s 200m.  That was not fast.  My 59s 400m hurdles was not especially fast.  Because I could do that, it had seemed reasonable for my come back at age 48 to run a hair under 60s in a flat 400m.

My still fat and out of shape time a week or so ago was 85s.  I will knock that down as I lose 10 more pounds and keep running more.  I'm mainly running a 5k distance, but part of this evil plan now is to run a sub 60s 400m.

I might be totally out of my own league now, age 48 compared to age 18.  Just gotta believe if I get the fat off, stay healthy, and run, then some speed will come back.

joescott

I might be totally out of my own league now, age 48 compared to age 18.  Just gotta believe if I get the fat off, stay healthy, and run, then some speed will come back.

Do it.  I'm just as delusional as you to still be racing myself from 30 years ago.  But I ain't willing to give up yet, and I hope you won't either.  I'd love to read the story one of these days about how you did it!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

bap

Ok, I have a dream to run a sub 60s 400m again.

Doesn't seem crazy, but the more I learn about it, the crazier and more naive the dream seems.

I don't have to be that fast.  A 30s 200m?   Maybe that is fast now, but that's all it would take to do it.  I used to do a 26.5s 200m.  That was not fast.  My 59s 400m hurdles was not especially fast.  Because I could do that, it had seemed reasonable for my come back at age 48 to run a hair under 60s in a flat 400m.

My still fat and out of shape time a week or so ago was 85s.  I will knock that down as I lose 10 more pounds and keep running more.  I'm mainly running a 5k distance, but part of this evil plan now is to run a sub 60s 400m.

I'm running lifetime PRs at 52. Keep the faith!

A 53 year-old friend recently ran a sub 1:20  half and a 4:57 mile. The craziest thing about the latter is that he's an ultra-marathoner.

He's being interviewed for an article in a future edition of Running Times.

Do you use the Age-Grade calculators?

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

A 53 year-old friend recently ran a sub 1:20  half and a 4:57 mile. The craziest thing about the latter is that he's an ultra-marathoner.

Why is that crazy?

Both of those races have a significant aerobic component to it.  Once you have that foundation, it's a lot easier to tap into some genetic speed.   It's not normally leg speed that holds most runners back in the 800 and mile (look no further than their 200m or 400m split for proof) -- it's their lack of endurance.

This is definitely on my list of things to do. For some reason I have't been able to go faster than about 61 mid, and I believe with 13.xx and 26.xx I should be able to.

As a distance guy, I'm not going to approach it from the standpoint of 400m training, but once I back to consistent running and decent mileage, I will be focusing some on pure speed over the summer, as I really want to develop the 55-56 speed needed to run sub 2

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

bap

I really like this guy's resources

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/plan100.htm

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

mikeymike

I know one of the guys on that list, Charlie Kelley. Good to see him still running fast.

I'm not sure I am willing to do what it would take to get to sub-60 for 400. I don't think I've run that fast since high school. Hmm ... something to think about.

Runners run