Macbook Pro to Macbook downgrade (Read 417 times)

This is for all of the mac geeks out there. I have a macbook pro now. It just sits closed on my desk, plugged into everything external. It has a 2.16ghz core 2 duo, 3 gb memory, 120 gb HD. I'm going to buy a new 'blackbook', and add 4 gb of memory (already purchased for 120$). My reasoning is that I don't need the size-I have a large external monitor. The computer is smaller, which I like. It is slightly more powerful, and allows me to add an extra gig of memory (mine maxes at 3????). It has a larger HD. It also upgrades my OS, software, etc. for free. All of this, and I can probably sell my old one at a price that at least covers the cost of the new one. The only downside is the lack of dedicated graphics. But I don't game or do much that is intensely graphical in nature. Anyone thing of a good reason to NOT do this? I'll probably pull the trigger tomorrow. I've already listed my current laptop on Craigslist. thanks for your input

I run for Fried Chicken!

I would add one thing you might want to take into consideration. There's a good possibility that apple will be selling new macbooks with the new multi touch pad really soon. Might not be important to you but might want to consider it. Also, if you're up for buying refurb, new models coming out tends to mean steep discounts on refurbs. I bought my MB Pro refurb and it's worked fine.
        Thanks. I'm not really sure I care about the multi touch, and I want the latest MB, otherwise it isn't really worth it for me. The latest has upgrades in CPU, HD, and memory capacity. So it'd have to be a refurbished new model. I also like my toys new (not that this is a toy, I spend 95% of my waking hours using it for work). Interesting...They do have the new Blackbook refurbished...
        MissWhitney

Used to work as an Tech Support agent for apple portables and ipods. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all. They are wonderful computers, have good speed, and definately are smaller which is easier to move or take up less space, specially since you have an external monitor. Refurbished ones are great deals. If i ever buy anything mac I will get it refurbed, just becuase it is good as new, and as i have seen, most have less problems then the new, since they already got thier kinks out. Also I recommend getting the apple care protection plan. It may be a little expensive, but it is sooooo worth it. I will never buy anything with out it. Considering a call to apple costs around 60 dollars (i believe its been a year since i worked there) once you are out of your warranty. But with the apple care protection plan you can call them 20 times a day for all they care for 3 years, and it will only be the initial cost. (is it sad that i ahve been a lurker, and post my first post about computer, does it also qualify me as a nerd? lol )
            Yes, definitely qualifies you as a nerd more than a runner. I bought a new one. I didn't purchase apple care, but I believe I have 12 months to do that. I also buy computer's pretty frequently, so I'm not sure how much sense it makes for me to spend that money. Macs hold their value so well, I've gotten responses on my old laptop's listing, which is only 300$ less than I paid for it 15 months ago. Not bad. Of course, I tripled the memory, but that was cheap.
            MissWhitney

Yep you have 12 months, and if you upgrade its also okay not to get them, i usually recommend them for mac beginners or somone who doesn't know much about computer, but everything that the tech support uses is available onthe apple webstie which is also nice, you can just go there and put in the error or anything your having an issue with that was made by apple and articles will come up to help ya..
                If you live near an Apple store, then Apple Care may not be worth it anymore. The "geniuses" at the Apple Store will diagnose issues on your Mac for free, and as long as it is not a HW issue, you'll leave the Apple store good as new (this happened when my HD crashed on my 4 year old "lampshade" iMac - thankfully I backup regularly!) Of course, if it is a HW issue, then you're paying for the replacement instead of having Apple Care cover for it. I guess that's where your risk is.