Miles on Shoes (Read 735 times)

jmccarter79

This might sound crazy.......however, I'm somewhat new to running and would like to know how many miles I should put on a pair of running shoes? Cool I've heard replace them at 300 miles or 6 months.....which ever comes first. Any input would be great!!!
      It's not a crazy question, but it's certainly been asked and debated here a lot. I'd advise using the search feature. In short: It depends on form, weight, personal preference. Some people reports shoes conking or feeling old in as little as a couple hundred miles. 400-600 is what I've seen as a "standard range." And then there's age: Some say the sole materials break down over time and advise replacing shoes older than a year regardless of mileage.

ultramarathon/triathlete

brand of shoes will vary, but yeah, the general rule of thumb is 300 miles/ 6 months. According to a recent poll my firm did for a major shoe company, most people wait around 300 miles, so to save you the back and forth from so many opinions, let me just say we already asked the question, so I can save you the researh Cool Roughly: 15% say under 100 miles 50% say 300 miles 20% say 301-500 15% say 501+

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Also, the running surface is also a factor. If you run most of your miles on a treadmill a shoe will tend to last a bit longer. My experience is that light weight shoes start going off between 250 and 300 miles. Normal stability shoes seem to last 400 to 450 miles.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I've always used 450 miles as my replacement point, and I haven't had problems (knock wood) to this point.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Darla1

I run most of my 30ish miles a week on gravel roads. (we live in the boondocks). My shoes seem to wear out faster then when lived in town and ran on tar roads. Does this make sense? Do you think the gravel would be harder on the shoes then tar?

Half Fanatic #846

Do you think the gravel would be harder on the shoes then tar?
                I run some on gravel roads too, and it seems to me that gravel with it's sharp rocks pits my soles and tears them up more quickly. Asphalt is smooth in comparison, and friction is distributed much more evenly over the entire base of the sole. Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I run for Fried Chicken!

I run mainly on a treadmill and I have some Mizunos that have ~350 miles on them and they are definitely ready to be retired. I ran 7 on them last night and I really felt it in my feet after. I've been using them for shorter runs and they tend to be okay for those.
                    Last shoes of mine lasted 2 years and I did 1500 miles in them. As said earlier, it depends on your running technique, your weight and running surfaces.
                    protoplasm72

Last shoes of mine lasted 2 years and I did 1500 miles in them. As said earlier, it depends on your running technique, your weight and running surfaces.
                      Do you run on pillows? Confused

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Do you run on pillows? Confused
                        The dude weighs 141 pounds and appears to levitate, based on his avatar. Big grin

Half Fanatic #846

Last shoes of mine lasted 2 years and I did 1500 miles in them.
                          I've got almost 800 miles on a pair of Spiras right now (with the metal coils built in to the soles) - I might get 1200 out of 'em eventually. Just using them for any treadmill runs I do, but nothing outside. Big grin Otherwise, regular running shoes last me anywhere from 350-500 miles... Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

...smile :)

As the previous posters said, it depends on many factors such as weight, surface, running style, etc. One usually feels it when the shoes have come to the end of their lifetime. Personally, I have run about 570 miles with my current ones (on asphalt & concrete) and they still feel great - no need for a new pair before the fall for sure Smile.
                              Aye, I am a light weight and mid-foot striker. This combination is really easy on my shoes. My present pair are in good condition and soles has worn out evenly. I'm sure I can run 1000+ miles with this pair too.
                                A twist - Does running in wet shoes affect how long they last? I ran through a pretty major downpour tonight, and as I felt my shoes get more and more saturated, that thought popped into my head. Will running in wet shoes damage them? I didn't run for long, but still thought I would pose the question.
                                - Tony