Apple Watch Series 2 is cheaper than many GPS watches (Read 246 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And does more too.

And had a longer battery life.

Sigh.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

And does more too.

And had a longer battery life.

Sigh.-------------------Do you need an I phone for the watch to work?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. No need for a phone with this version. GPS *inside* the watch this time.

northernman

Fight The Future

I think it depends on how well the software supports running. I watched the event, and when he said that Apple loves runners and all things runners and partnered with the company that knew more about running watches than anyone, I was hoping he would say Garmin, not Nike. I've never been impressed with the options on the Nike running watches.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nike is only there for Branding I think. No way Garmin would work with a competitor.

mikeymike

Also they got rid of the headphone jack. #courage

Runners run

What about durability?  Water resistant 9XX Garmin series made for tri watches only last me about 6000 almost entirely outdoor miles, I'd consider switching if there was data comparing durability          .

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

bhearn

I would love to switch, but I need to see solid numbers on GPS accuracy and battery life. I'm pretty skeptical it could replace my 920. Though I am getting pretty fed up with Garmin.

xhristopher

I second the GPS accuracy question. My phone is not nearly as good as my Garmin. 

Yes, Nike partnered but third party apps should work too no? I believe Strava is already on the watch. If they updated the app you could probably use Strava for your Apple Watch runs.

We already have RunForth that works directly with RA from the phone. In theory one could develop similar for the watch.

xhristopher

Also they got rid of the headphone jack. #courage

This is courage. I've been user testing this concept for the past 2 years since the headphone jack broke on my iPad. It's a real PITA! Bluetooth headphone batteries die at bad times, or I forget to charge them, or I can't find the charger... Managing bluetooth headphones becomes an extra task that I don't need in my life.

This morning my son told me I can get the lightning to headphone adaptor to "fix" my iPad. It's gonna come with the phone but can be had for 9 bucks separately. I'll be getting one soon.

When using the adapter you can't charge at the same time. You will need a dock with an audio passthrough to do both.

Some running/triathlon friends on Facebook were saying last night that if you use the watch with GPS, the battery life is more in the 5 hour neighborhood. If you bring your phone with you, then it will last longer, because the watch can piggy-back on the phone's GPS.

MacRumors is saying the battery life will be no better than the original due to faster processor and inclusion of the GPS: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/07/apple-watch-2-same-battery-life/

Despite rumors suggesting the Apple Watch Series 2 models would feature longer battery life than the original Apple Watch models, technical specifications for the new devices shared by Apple suggest the Apple Watch Series 2 will continue to offer up to 18 hours of battery life -- the same as Apple Watch Series 1.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is courage. I've been user testing this concept for the past 2 years since the headphone jack broke on my iPad. It's a real PITA! Bluetooth headphone batteries die at bad times, or I forget to charge them, or I can't find the charger... Managing bluetooth headphones becomes an extra task that I don't need in my life.

This morning my son told me I can get the lightning to headphone adaptor to "fix" my iPad. It's gonna come with the phone but can be had for 9 bucks separately. I'll be getting one soon.

When using the adapter you can't charge at the same time. You will need a dock with an audio passthrough to do both.

I switched to bluetooth headphones >1 year ago.  Corded headphones were a PITA to use with my Lifeproof case on my iPhone.  And I had a couple pair of corded sport headphones that didn't prove to be very durable.  Nice not dealing with tangling cords.

I'm really happy that Apple did this.  I'm assuming it is helping with the water resistant aspect of the 7.  I won't need a $$ Lifeproof case on my next phone, just something to protect from impacts.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

joescott

I would love to switch, but I need to see solid numbers on GPS accuracy and battery life. I'm pretty skeptical it could replace my 920. Though I am getting pretty fed up with Garmin.

Anything I can do to help, Bob?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Again, the watch will have an actual GPS chip in it, just like your Garmin.

I second the GPS accuracy question. My phone is not nearly as good as my Garmin.