Seasoned Marathoners, What do you think? (Read 655 times)

After years of saying I would never be interested, the curiosity of training for and running a marathon has finally gotten the best of me. I have always been completely happy running races of shorter distances, and I had never given the marathon a thought. Several members of my local "running crowd" are getting ready for marathons either this fall, or next year. So, I got to thinking during my 10 miler yesterday, I wonder what the experience would be like? My question is, do you guys think that 21 weeks would be enough time for me to get ready for my first marathon? Don`t pay too close attention to my log, as I just started keeping an online version again at the end of September. However, the weekly distance is fairly close to what I average. I am just now building back up to 30-35 miles per week after some hamstring issues caused from changing to a different shoe, (I know. Some of us never learn.) I mainly try and get in at least a couple of quality workouts per week to keep my 5-K race fitness in check. Before having to take the reduction in mileage recently, my 5-K times were in the mid 20`s. I have always tried to keep my "long run" distance to about 1/3rd of my weekly mileage, as I have found that it just works for me. Anyway, if you guys think I have time based on what you see in my log, or what I have mentioned in this post, please give me an idea of about how many miles per week it would be a good idea to build up to, along with intensity of workouts for these longer distances. I am already aware that I would need to build long runs up to at least 20 miles over the next few months. I don`t have a goal time or pace in mind, just to accomplish the task and enjoy the experience. I have many years of running under my belt, so it isn`t like I am a "new runner" without a base, or who doesn`t have a clue. I just want to make sure that those of you who regularly run and train for these distances think that 145 days is adequate training and prep time. Thanks for any and all replies.
    "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
      I did my first one starting out with 20 miles per week and a 6 mile long run at the beginning of a 20 week plan. I can't say this is ideal, but I did finish and was quite happy with my time (3:45). It sounds like you are a little advanced of where I was at the time, so you should be able to do it. The plan I followed was the beginner's plan on coolrunning.com. It really defies most of the advice that you'll get here (long runs were 50% of weekly mileage, you do speedwork while adding miles, etc) but it can get you across the finish line.

-------------------------------------
      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Purdey

Self anointed title

Plenty of time. Start now. Enjoy. MTA: With the right training I would think that you probably have a 3:45 in you. MMTA: I'm not a seasoned marathoner.

I think you have plenty of time. I pretty much used the 16 week rookie plan from the Boston Marathon for my first seven marathons. http://bostonmarathon.com/BostonMarathon/MarathonTraining.asp?training=rookieprogram I think I replaced most (if not all) of the speed work with just miles for the first one, but since you are running races I think you would benefit from doing the speed workouts. I know it helped me when I started including them. Just keep building the mileage back up for the next few weeks and go for it.
          mikeymike

Yes, plenty of time.

Runners run

uncontrollable

Plenty of time, I agree.

peace

Blaaahhhh

If you just ran a 10 mile race, training for a marathon in 21 weeks will be no problem. I ran a 10 km race in May and didn't start running again until August. I decided to train for the marathon in September and started increasing my long runs. By October I was up to 12 miles during my training runs so I signed up. My last long run before yesterday's marathon was 20 miles. My legs weren't in shape for it, so I had to walk the end, but a finish is a finish. I found that marathon training is mostly about convincing yourself that you can really do it without dying like the first guy who tried it. Just bring a powerbar, banana or something else to eat around 10 miles. 2 hours of running will make you very hungry.