Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

TJoseph

This is strange news.  Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after his girlfriend was found shot dead.

http://news.yahoo.com/paralympic-star-pistorius-shoots-girlfriend-africa-media-063850637.html

I just saw that on the news! This news out of Australia gives a bit more detail of what they think might have happened:

http://news.sky.com/story/1051959/oscar-pistorius-held-for-shooting-girlfriend

Hill Slug

That's so horrible.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Maybe he discovered she was a replicant.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I just saw that on the news! This news out of Australia gives a bit more detail of what they think might have happened:

http://news.sky.com/story/1051959/oscar-pistorius-held-for-shooting-girlfriend

yeah... of course he'll try the "I thought she was a burglar" defense.  but I don't think he has a leg to stand on with that.

Feeling the growl again

Whatever the reality of the situation turns out to be, tragic and sad.

If as reported there is a history of domestic issues and perhaps some things heard earlier in the night, his time in court may prove quite challenging.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Whatever the reality of the situation turns out to be, tragic and sad.

If as reported there is a history of domestic issues and perhaps some things heard earlier in the night, his time in court may prove quite challenging.

I couldn't agree more.

TRUST THE PROCESS

but I don't think he has a leg to stand on with that.

Dude.

(Okay I chuckled. I'm a bad person.)

Runners run

sugnim

Holy crap!

kcam

So sad.  Knowing how it turned out for her, reading that poor girl's tweets about Valentines Day almost made me cry.  Can't wait to get home tonight  to hug my wife.

yeah... of course he'll try the "I thought she was a burglar" defense.  but I don't think he has a leg to stand on with that.

Haha! (I'm a bad person too I guess...)

Doc, my tooth hurts

Dude.

(Okay I chuckled. I'm a bad person.)

I was hysterical when I saw someone had posted elsewhere "Well we all knew he was fully armed"

But it sounds like there may be more to this story than we know. I find it odd they they immediately charge him with murder if he thought it was a burglar.

skygazer

I'm a fan of British detective TV shows. So I'm gonna say I don't believe in coincident (not really that I don't, but in this case, it resembles too much what happened in those TV shows.)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So yeah.

About two months ago, my daughter came to me super crazy excited that Oscar Pistorius was coming to speak at her school. It was in the newspaper, and there was a website. So cool. So excited. Can we go Dad, can we, can we?? So yeah, of course. Tickets were high, $60 apiece, but whatever, we can go. I can take my daughter to see Oscar Friggen Pistorius.

So I bought the tickets. PayPal. Then nothing happened. I never received the tickets. No receipt either. But I was charged.

A couple weeks passed. We got closer to the event. Still nada. So I reached out to the vendor, to the school and to the reporter. The vendor's email kicked back. The school said that the event was never scheduled. Not canceled, but never scheduled to begin with. So tickets were sold to an event that did not get scheduled. WTF.

So I emailed school, newspaper and vendor together. This time the vendor responded. Here is the dialog that followed, names removed. All parties (vendor, me, newspaper, school) are copied on this whole communication thread. Thought you might enjoy.

Vendor:

Sorry for the late response. I have just returned from out of town and been out of pocket so to speak.

Unfortunately the event has indeed been canceled. We had hoped for and proposed shifting if to a different venue (actually [schoolname] University) due to a likely and proposed partnership with SwiftWjck socks who wanted to try and get Oscar endorsing their product, and had connections there at LU. Part of the problem w [schoolname] is once we made the press release we got very little support from the school outside of Jonas Rodriguez - it seems initial discussions had been misinterpreted by the two parties as to their level of involvement. Anyway that is neuter here nor there. Jonas was informed immediately prior to Christmas that we would not be using [schoolname] but the ultimate cancellation just occurred when he situation became unworkable.

Long story short Oscar's agent pulled out of the event for good last week when the NC portion of the trip failed to materialize due to ticket sales. Nashville had broken around even but that wasn't enough and the trip has been rescheduled for later in the Year and most likely on the West Coast. They felt it would be too much travel time/lost training time for him to come from SA for just the one event.  We have been informing people as they have called this past two days and are issuing refunds through PayPal/Visa accordingly

Sorry for the delay but as you can imagine we waited until things were confirmed from London. No one more than us wanted for the event to happen.

Kindest Regards for your interest in the event and once again sorry for all the confusion. More than anything I too wanted to hear him talk.

Me:

Thank you for your response.

I would have appreciated this information much sooner, and that my emails not gone unanswered.  I would also have appreciated that the event not be advertised and tickets sold until after there was actually an event. I would appreciate a prompt refund.

It is unfortunate that this has tarnished the excellent reputations of Mr. Pistorius, [schoolname] High School, The Tennessean and Mr. [reporter name]. I would imagine that apologies are in order for them as well.

I will not comment on how inappropriate I find the suggestion that Mr. Pistorius, a man without feet, represent a sock company.

Mostly, I am disappointed both for myself and for my daughter who was excited to see Mr. Pistorius speak.

Again, I look forward to a prompt refund.

Vendor:

I understand your disappointment - I was looking forward to the event as a fan also. There WAS an event as you put it, contracts were signed by both parties. Ticket sales simply didn't reach what we needed to to make the events work. As I was out of the country with limited access to email and trying to communicate through three people on separate continents then getting info out was difficult, given we tried to save the Nashville event until the last minute. Mr [reporter name] has not had his reputation tarnished and to make that accusation is ridiculous - he ran a story on an event that was sadly later cancelled for reasons out of anyone's control. In addition [schoolname] had again had nothing taken away. They were (in their words) simply renting a facility. It was also Mr Pistorius' agent who CHOSE not to make the trip after weighing the options financially and from a time perspective for only one event. Perhaps $35,000 plus two first class airfares from South Africa for a two hour event wasn't enough ?

And finally, your are not in a position to nor should you make assumptions on the SwiftWick connection. It was the efforts of their staff and their backing that would have allowed Oscar to visit had we salvaged the event, and the product thy wanted to introduce him to is called the 'Valor', a compression sleeve for the limb where it meets the prosthesis, and is endorsed by the US Military, Wounded Warrior Project and the US Paralympic Association. It was not a sock. Perhaps more research before you make that assumption. 

Our apologies to your daughter for the cancellation.

Me:

I have asked you to refund my money. That has not occurred yet. Please do so promptly.

Please do not make assumptions about me, nor take the tone with me that you did. That is unacceptable and unprofessional.

I purchased tickets in good faith. The reasons for the cancellation are not my problem.

Vendor:

And nor should you make assumptions about companies like the sock manufacturer that you aren't in a position to. 

We are processing refunds alphabetically from the database for both events. We will get to yours in due course. 

And as far as our professionalism. Well we stand behind the hundreds of successful events we have hosted over the years, and will take whatever tone we feel appropriate when people make incorrect assumptions about us.

Again, our apologies to your daughter.

Me:

Thank you. I am not sure what is meant by, "in due course", but that does not sound prompt.

Again, I have asked you to refund my money. That has not occurred yet. Please do so promptly.

Vendor:

Alphabetically... A B C D....R

It's a busy day so expect it soon

Sent from my iPhone

Me, 3 days later and copying the newspaperman and the school on my email:

I am checking in. I still have not received my reimbursement here three days after I asked for a prompt reimbursement and you told me to "expect it soon".

Vendor:

Last I heard they were up to 'L' in the alphabet... Processing over 1500 refunds takes some time.

Out of interest my mothers email address is [xxx@xxx.xxx] just in case you feel the new to add more people to your email chain

Hopefully they will get to you over the next few days

Three days later, after complaining to PayPal, I finally received my refund.

Prince of Fatness

Thought you might enjoy.

I did.  Immensely.  Thanks!

Not at it at all.