Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

JPF

Yea, I agree.

I guess it's just the nature of polarizing issues. Seems like people always assume the worst/most aggressive things and then respond a bit irritated and it just spirals from there...

To be fair, this is as bad as RA gets and it's really not that bad.  This is a good thread on most boards.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To be fair, this is as bad as RA gets and it's really not that bad.  This is a good thread on most boards.

You ain't seen drama 'til you've hung out on a mommy board or two.  HO-LY CRAP! Shocked Some of those broads really go for the jugular.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

The original story was of an athlete charged with a horrible crime. It involved a weapon. It gives people an excuse to bring their agenda and when challenged on that agenda you won't own up to it.

I know someone who---no matter what subject you bring up---somehow manages to find a little nugget from what you're talking about and drags the conversation to be only about his core beliefs about the state of America, the federal government, and the president.

I think it goes like this:

1) form core belief

2) seek confirmation of core belief

3) convince others of the truth of your core belief, so you're not alone in believing the core belief that you believe (and believe have confirmed)

That being said, Norm. I think I need to have you come be my running partner, I need protection from some scary pit bulls in my neighborhood. I'm TM and bike trail bound because of them, dude. And if you could, please bring one of those "beautiful" weapons. Might as well look attractive while we take back the streets. Combine that with some of the Star Trek running wear I have, and we'll be an overpowering sight. I can pay you in corn muffins. Cool

This is a really sickeningly tragic story.  I'd say everyone who has posted here would rather it didn't happen.  So here's my list, not all inclusive, of some of the things that may have prevented it:

1. Eliminate access to guns (Pistorius wouldn't have had one, unless he got one illegally)

2. Everyone carry a gun (Girlfriend would have been able to shoot him through the door, unless he hit her with the first shot)

3. Recognize what was broken in Pistorius's head and heart, and fix it before it came to this

3 would be the toughest, but most effective.  In my opinion, Mikey's comment about Pistorius's love for guns being unhealthy hit close to the mark, but if loving guns was the worst thing he did, his girlfriend wouldn't be dead.  Maybe Pistorius loved power and control, and lived a life that was unchallenged by others, and didn't have anyone who could say, "Dude, what's up with this rage? If you're smacking women around, you need to get some counseling, or I'm kicking your ass."

I think a lot of the bad things in our society could be solved with a little more focus on self control and personal responsibility.

No doubt, Tony.

When it comes to "means, motive, and opportunity", motive is the most important. The means and the opportunity are always there, in one form or another.

Oscar appears to be a really troubled young man. From what I've read in the last 48 hours it seems some people did see him sliding further over the edge and may have tried to do something about it. I bet they wish they had done more now, whether they actually could have or not. Sad situation.

Runners run

C-R

That being said, Norm. I think I need to have you come be my running partner, I need protection from some scary pit bulls in my neighborhood. I'm TM and bike trail bound because of them, dude. And if you could, please bring one of those "beautiful" weapons. Might as well look attractive while we take back the streets. Combine that with some of the Star Trek running wear I have, and we'll be an overpowering sight. I can pay you in corn muffins. Cool

Dang Jimmy. I need to check the reciprocal laws for GA and carry permits. But if needed we sure could make a few heads turn as we manage a few miles dressed in Full Metal Star Trek. Hah.

Oh and Tony - I was listening to BBC today and I wonder if any of his friends saw the changes to the person he was becoming. Would they have been able to help him find assistance to deal with his issues? Then I asked myself what would I do if I started seeing these signs with a family member or close friend. No answer but tough questions.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TJoseph

Dang Jimmy. I need to check the reciprocal laws for GA and carry permits. But if needed we sure could make a few heads turn as we manage a few miles dressed in Full Metal Star Trek. Hah.

I imagine the Secret Service has to carry weapons when they run with the president or a presidential candidate.  Clinton and Bush both went on runs while in office.  It just doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable running with a gun bouncing on your waist.  Do they have hoslters designed for that?

Not dead. Yet.

Oscar appears to be a really troubled young man. From what I've read in the last 48 hours it seems some people did see him sliding further over the edge and may have tried to do something about it. I bet they wish they had done more now, whether they actually could have or not. Sad situation.

Maybe some strict provisions about who is allowed to own a gun would help.  A psychological test or simple background check to weed out people with psychological/anger issues before allowing ownership.  Seems reasonable not permit guns to people that might go over the edge and take others with them.

Then maybe he would have just tried throwing a knife at her instead.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Chris T

Now, now. Cool

TJoseph

Maybe some strict provisions about who is allowed to own a gun would help.  A psychological test or simple background check to weed out people with psychological/anger issues before allowing ownership.  Seems reasonable not permit guns to people that might go over the edge and take others with them.

Kind of like those literacy tests they used to require in the south for voting.  It's a great way to arbitrarily deny someone their constitutional rights.

Dream Maker

You ain't seen drama 'til you've hung out on a mommy board or two.  HO-LY CRAP! Shocked Some of those broads really go for the jugular.

Yeah.  Thank goodness they don't have guns.

Wink

Not dead. Yet.

Kind of like those literacy tests they used to require in the south for voting.  It's a great way to arbitrarily deny someone their constitutional rights.

Yeah.  It's hard to figure out where to draw the line.  I guess it's already being done, and they draw the line at having been convicted of a violent crime.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

TJoseph

Yeah.  It's hard to figure out where to draw the line.  I guess it's already being done, and they draw the line at having been convicted of a violent crime.

I agree with the concept of keeping guns from the mentally ill with a history of violence.  The problem with mental illness is that it is diagnosed by observing behaviors and not from actual physical symptoms.  It can be faked or misdiagnosed pretty easily.  I believe Adam Lanza's mother knew he was dangerous.  She was considering having him committed before he killed her and took her guns.  It is hard to rely on the parents of these children to do the right thing because they are so emotionally invested in the child.

Why is it sideways?

So, yeah, a bloody cricket bat was also found at the home, and Pistorius' girlfriend's head was crushed.

(Not that this news should make anyone feel happy that they have won any sort of pro- or con- gun control argument.)

Feeling the growl again

So, yeah, a bloody cricket bat was also found at the home, and Pistorius' girlfriend's head was crushed.

(Not that this news should make anyone feel happy that they have won any sort of pro- or con- gun control argument.)

I think the most logical conclusion is that we don't know what the hell happened, other than he killed her.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills