Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

JPF

Pretend for a moment it's not Oscar Pistorius, sports hero and just some random guy:

GF is dead of multiple gunshot wounds to the face and torso,

BF and GF were the only two people inside the well fortified home at the time,

BF really really liked his guns,

Police had been called to the home multiple times for "allegations of a domestic nature."

Under those circumstances is anyone really surprised that BF is being charged with murder, or even remotely questioning it?

I was not aware of #1 or #4 when I posted previously.  Those certainly strongly suggest guilt.

Feeling the growl again

BF really really liked his guns,

Sigh.

What does that have to do with anything?  So I'm a murderer in the wings too, I just haven't found an excuse to shoot anyone yet?  Roll eyes

That stereotype has gotten really, really old of late.

Other than that, I agree with you and the fact that he's a famous athlete does nothing to reduce the odds that he may have done it intentionally.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

What does that have to do with anything?

Well, nothing except the GF was shot dead, in his house, with his gun.

And it's not a stereotype--guy was a bit gun crazed. A sports reporter comes to his house to interview him about his training and he shows him all his guns and takes him to the shooting range and has him shoot guns with him? I dunno man I'd say he really, really liked guns. Like more than a healthy amount.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Well, nothing except the GF was shot dead, in his house, with his gun.

And it's not a stereotype--guy was a bit gun crazed. A sports reporter comes to his house to interview him about his training and he shows him all his guns and takes him to the shooting range and has him shoot guns with him? I dunno man I'd say he really, really liked guns. Like more than a healthy amount.

I have a shooting range in my backyard and take people shooting there all the time....including fellow RAers.  I would bet money I shoot more than Oscar does.  So in your mind this is unhealthy and makes me some sort of risk?

It is certainly a stereotype.  Unless you have some sort of data proving that the simple act of liking guns makes one inherently violent, it is no different than judging someone based on their skin color, religion, or orientation.

MTA:  Most murders are not committed by people owning a lot of guns who shoot a lot.  They are largely committed by people with one or two (likely illegal) guns they have probably not fired more than a few shots from, over drugs or some other street activity.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Jess runs for bacon

Not the OP, but the way I read the original post was the gun obsession PLUS the whole GF bekill killed and all that. This is someone who is very comfortable with guns, unlikely to make a mistake of this magnitude.

Also I am so over arguing about guns.

I have a shooting range in my backyard and take people shooting there all the time....including fellow RAers.  I would bet money I shoot more than Oscar does.  So in your mind this is unhealthy and makes me some sort of risk?

It is certainly a stereotype.  Unless you have some sort of data proving that the simple act of liking guns makes one inherently violent, it is no different than judging someone based on their skin color, religion, or orientation.

MTA:  Most murders are not committed by people owning a lot of guns who shoot a lot.  They are largely committed by people with one or two (likely illegal) guns they have probably not fired more than a few shots from, over drugs or some other street activity.

dennrunner

I don't run a lot of miles, but I really like running.  Like more than a healthy amount.

Maybe he discovered she was a replicant.

Gold. Solid gold.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I heard in the lab today that we had just asked Pistorius to come speak at the American Society of Biomechanics conference next fall.

Guess that's not happening.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I heard in the lab today that we had just asked Pistorius to come speak at the American Society of Biomechanics conference next fall.

Maybe you should contact him to see if you should move the date up a whole lot earlier, in case he becomes otherwise occupied and unavailable later.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

WebEx or GotToMeeting is an alternative if he get wi-fi in a 6x6

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

No Talent Drips

So in your mind this is unhealthy and makes me some sort of risk?

Spaniel, we all get it. People not guns. Constitutional rights. Hunting. Criminals. Something or other about drunk drivers and banning cars. We all get the "from my cold dead hands" thing that you and Ted Nugent have working.

I think, maybe, it has something to do with the fact that Oscar (ostensibly) shot his girlfriend in the face, a lot, and elsewhere, less, that makes his interest in guns noteworthy. He is famous runner...who when being interviewed on his training takes the interviewer on a gun tour. Interesting on its own. Noteworthy--to say the least--after yesterday's events.  Right? 

What's this stuff about you being a risk? Should someone somewhere be worried and make sure they are good and armed?

MTA: Not changing anything I wrote here...just adding that I immediately regret attacking anyone in particular...I just find the defensiveness and (IMO) loose-logic "pro-gun" rhetoric nauseating. And I love me some guns.

Dei Gratia

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, we all get it. People not guns. Constitutional rights. Hunting. Criminals. Something or other about drunk drivers and banning cars. We all get the "from my cold dead hands" thing that you and Ted Nugent have working.

I think, maybe, it has something to do with the fact that Oscar (ostensibly) shot his girlfriend in the face, a lot, and elsewhere, less, that makes his interest in guns noteworthy. He is famous runner...who when being interviewed on his training takes the interviewer on a gun tour. Interesting on its own. Noteworthy--to say the least--after yesterday's events.  Right? 

What's this stuff about you being a risk? Should someone somewhere be worried and make sure they are good and armed?

MTA: Not changing anything I wrote here...just adding that I immediately regret attacking anyone in particular...I just find the defensiveness and (IMO) loose-logic "pro-gun" rhetoric nauseating. And I love me some guns.

All of the putting words in my mouth and additional stereotyping aside....

1)  We don't know what happened.  Period.  Any conclusions being drawn at this point are entirely speculation and conjecture.  Why don't we wait until a clearer picture emerges?  One can imagine scenarios in which what happened could be the result of an accident (ie jumping on him in the dark and surprising him at very close range)....or not.  WE DON'T KNOW.  (MTA...this doesn't mean I would support someone shooting blindly into the dark when they don't properly identify their target.  That is just stupid).

2)  Unstable/rash people exist who own guns and who don't own guns.  My point was that the fact that someone is a gun enthusiast has absolutely nothing to do with whether they are the type to go off and murder their girlfriend.  What I find nauseating is the ignorant insinuation that someone who likes shooting is more likely to haul off and murder someone.

Is it noteworthy that he took the guy shooting?  You only mention it retrospectively....a false way to establish causality. Inherently full of bias.  Anybody coming out to my place is likely to be offered some recreation on the shooting range, regardless of whether they came for that or not.  By your "loose-logic" that makes me somehow unstable/unhealthy/dangerous?

I'm interesting in this whole concept of "loose-logic".  I'm asking for data showing that gun enthusiasts have an increased propensity towards violence, as insinuated.  None has been provided.  Making conclusions from data and facts is logic.  Doing otherwise is not.

Pretty much, yeah.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

I think, maybe, it has something to do with the fact that Oscar (ostensibly) shot his girlfriend in the face, a lot, and elsewhere, less, that makes his interest in guns noteworthy.

Why?  What difference does it make how he killed her?  She is dead.  Lots of domestic violence happens and it ain't all just with guns.

And before you start on me I do not have any guns in my house and never will.  It's not my thing.  But I have also spent a couple of days at spaniel's house last year, knew he had guns, and did not have a problem with it.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

The whole thing is sad.