Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

JimR

She = the intruder, right?

So looks like she was there much earlier than that, there was some loud fighting going that was reported to police by neighbours earlier in the evening, and then the shooting through the bathroom door.

In my visualization, it sounds like they were fighting, he grabbed a gun, she ran into the bathroom and he just started shooting at the door.

Couple of things that I've thought about over the past 24+ hours....

1. Oscar wears prescription glasses (and likely contacts).... I wonder whether he had his glasses on or off.

2.  "shot 3 times in the head" and "through a bathroom door".  After the 1st shot, wouldn't she have fallen down making it hard to guess where to shoot the 2nd shot?

3. Is he also deaf?  Wouldn't an "identify yourself" type of message be made before a trigger pull if there was any potential that the person in there could have been a known person?  (In all honesty, I know first hand that things happen quickly and you're not alert when you're suddenly awaken by an intruder)

4. Did he have his legs on and / or nearby?  How long does it take to slip on his legs after being startled awake?  Was the shot from a vulnerable position due to an inability to move?  The angle of the shots will likely be a key piece to the prosecution case (or defense case).

Regardless, as I wrote in my only other post within this toxic thread....

The Pistorius story is sad.

I hope it wasn't an accident.

I hope it wasn't murder.

Unfortunately, it's likely 1 of those 2.

This story sucks.

This thread sucks.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

If you had stated in your list that she was killed with a gun he owned (I believe this has been established), it would have been clear and a non-issue.  But it was not the presence of the gun you keyed in on, it was his interest in guns, which you further clicked into and referred to as "not healthy" - again the interest and sport activity, not the fact that he was known to have a gun available to commit the crime.  This was the issue, and when asked on it you continued to follow the train of logic that his interest in guns was odd, unhealthy, and relevant.

This whole thing has been "clear and a non-issue" for me from the beginning since I know exactly what I meant by my original post. Hint: it's the same thing I've been saying I meant all along.

When I wrote my original post I didn't know she was killed with a gun he owned. I only knew she was killed with a gun. AND I knew that he was really into guns. The reason I knew he was really into guns was from the articles that were written about him last summer. At the time when I read it last summer I don't recall thinking it was a huge deal and I certainly didn't think he'd wind up a murderer, but it made enough of impression that when I found out his GF had been shot dead in his house I immediately remembered reading it.

His interest in guns seemed odd and unhealthy in retrospect, yes. And the fact that he'd allegedly shot his girlfriend to death now obviously made it relevant.

But keep digging, I'm sure you'll get me to reveal my true motives eventually. Your doing grate.

Runners run

Not dead. Yet.

You're going to kill a person throwing a knife at them?

LOL!  Bows and arrows and knives!  What is this Dungeons and Dragons?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

JimR

LOL!  Bows and arrows and knives!  What is this Dungeons and Dragons?

"Hold on for a second, mizter intruder.  I can't find the notch on my arrow for this stupid string in the dark..."

(says "f*ck it" and throws arrow, misses, then throws bow...killing intruder)

His interest in guns seemed odd and unhealthy in retrospect, yes. And the fact that he'd allegedly shot his girlfriend to death now obviously made it relevant.

I hadn't heard about his interest in guns so not sure what was said to suggest it was an unhealthy level of interest, other than someone showing off their hobby. We don't talk about running, do we.? Smile

BUT guns, like postage stamps, can be collectors' items. Shooting, like running, is a sport with various kinds of competitions, including in the Olympics - indoor, outdoor, part of biathlon. (I don't know what the names are of all the various competitions. You may not agree with shooting alone being a sport, but biathlon certainly is by anyone's standards, and a challenging one.) Hunting, whether with guns or bow/arrow or whatever, is also a way for people to get meat for their dinner table. Guns, like cars, can also cause injuries and death.

His interest in guns does make it apparent that he had access (means), but that doesn't imply what he'd do with one. Prior domestic disputes would be more of an indicator to me (reason). There's obviously more to the story.

I don't shoot, but can respect it as a sport under controlled conditions (NOT shooting across trails) and a means of responsible hunters obtaining game for their families. (roadkill - moose hit by vehicles - is also a means for charities to obtain food for low-income families (not the person who hit it))

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Feeling the growl again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhT6OIWAWEA

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19871024&id=twshAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fXIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1137,6317915

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/11/nyregion/student-charged-in-shooting-of-his-brother-with-crossbow.html

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-853029.html

http://suite101.com/article/man-shot-and-killed-with-crossbow-inside-busy-library-a316284

Crazy people do crazy things.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

skygazer

Are you asking literally or figuratively? Or rhetorically?

rhetorically.

But, did you intend to answer the question or are you only interested in picking on my English (that I actually don't mind)?

(here, not asking rhetorically. I'd really like any one take on the argument that the 8,775 murders by killers using firearms out of  12,996 total in 2010 could have mostly been conducted using other means in the case the firearms weren't available to the killers at the time.)

JimR

Go to google news, type

dead gunshot

there are 'about 73,300 results'

Feeling the growl again

Go to google news, type

dead gunshot

there are 'about 73,300 results'

Google "drunk driving" and there are 67,300,000 results.

Does that mean all drivers are drunks?  Does it mean we should ban cars or beer?  Based on your prior history I know these are heavy questions for you to think through but it's worth a try.

I'm not sure where the half-formed thoughts on gun control are coming from, sparky.  My concern here was for an ill-thought stereotyping of people who enjoy firearms and shooting sports, not gun control.  If you want to have that discussion with me I'd have to see some signs of intelligent life first.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

JimR

Google "drunk driving" and there are 67,300,000 results.

Does that mean all drivers are drunks?  Does it mean we should ban cars or beer?  Based on your prior history I know these are heavy questions for you to think through but it's worth a try.

I'm not sure where the half-formed thoughts on gun control are coming from, sparky.  My concern here was for an ill-thought stereotyping of people who enjoy firearms and shooting sports, not gun control.  If you want to have that discussion with me I'd have to see some signs of intelligent life first.

guns are designed to kill

JimR

Let's talk about cars.

Vehicle related deaths occur at the rate of 1 per ~91 million vehicle miles travelled.  That's 91 million miles in vehicles driven by people of all ability levels in all types of scenarios and the vast vast majority in close proximity of each other.

Instead of driving, let's put all those people out on the streets with loaded guns in their hands, for the same amount of time and in those same situations and try to imagine how that will go.  Instead of driving a mile...fire a shot!

Let's just get rid of transporatation altogether.  Clearly people can't handle it.  Rather critical to have though, don't you think?  Unless people can survive by standing in one spot and not moving, transportation is essential and certainly so in modern society everywhere and always has been.

Feeling the growl again

guns are designed to kill

Brilliance, sparky.  I'm sure the families of drunk driving fatalities are comforted by the fact that the car and alcohol that killed their loved ones were not designed for that purpose.

JimR

Brilliance, sparky.  I'm sure the families of drunk driving fatalities are comforted by the fact that the car and alcohol that killed their loved ones were not designed for that purpose.

well I don't expect much out of a gun lover except to shout 'cars kill people too'

Feeling the growl again

well I don't expect much out of a gun lover except to shout 'cars kill people too'

Another well-thought, intellectual argument.