Anyone NOT wanting to run a marathon?? (Read 1521 times)

CAUTION: EXTREME WHINING TO FOLLOW..........CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK.................LONG POST Ok so forgive me, but I need to complain and hope someone will actually give me some much needed feedback. I run slow. I walk at some point during all my runs. I'm ok with this, and while I would love to run faster and longer, I am content with my 11mm. I also dont think I will ever run a Marathon - I just dont have the endurance to do something I KNOW will take me well over 5 hours to complete. I think my best hope is a possible HM, but in no time soon. I've only run in 2 races so far - 1 5K and 1 5mile Turkey trot. I would like more 5Ks and I am going to attempt a 10K sometime in the Spring this year. Lately, I am realizing that I might not even WANT to up my running abilities. I am not an athlete, and never will be - so why do I feel bad about being content with my pace? I know I dont HAVE to constantly train and work towards running faster or better, but I feel like I am not "worthy" of calling myself a runner when I just dont have the love of it that I know so many of you have. Is that so wrong of me? I am glad at how far Ive come. I just dont see myself going much further. Is it ok to just be content with running/walking 11 minute miles, or just logging 13- 17 (maybe 20 someday) miles per week? I just dont have the time to dedicate myself to the sport like many of you do. At best, I can see myself completing a HM (probably just barely) and continuing to run my 3-4 times per week at my easy pace just so I don't lose the progress Ive already made. Is that so bad? Are there any ofyou out there who KNOW they will never be able to complete a Marathon and are ok with that? Maybe I'm just entering a slight depression in life right now - I HATE going on my long runs (a measily 7 miles at this point) because they take up so much time, and my mind just cant rest and enjoy it. I am a multi-tasker at heart, and running doesnt allow that. I HATE counting calories. I HATE trying to run faster or longer because I feel like I am not getting anywhere with it. I dont see any progress in my endurance, I cant even go on a short 3 mile run without having to walk at least twice during it. I know I shouldnt feel bad because Ive worked hard and have made significant progress so far. I havent been running very long (not quite a year yet), but something inside me just tells me this is the best it will ever get for me. I'm not necessarily upset about this, I just need to know if anyone else is living similarly.....or do I need to be ousted from the RA community?! If youve made it through the post so far, thanks for reading, hope I didnt bore you to death or put you in a similarly depressing mood!!

Why do you need to run a marathon to consider yourself "worthy?" You've been running less than a year. You shouldn't (in my not so humble opinion) even consider running a marathon (which you aren't.) As such, you shouldn't feel depressed that you aren't considering to run a marathon. When I did my first marathon questions conference call back in January (next one is Feb 19), one of the questions that was asked was about getting ready for an August marathon without injuring himself. The person was on the call, and revealed that they had been running less than a month. It seemed a little strange to me to tell him that I wouldn't even recommend that he consider it (especially since I was preparing to sell a book on how to prepare for a marathon) but even though I tried talking him out of it, he decided to go forward anyway. If you've been running for less than a year, there's no need to feel like you need to run long runs or need to run a marathon. Just go out and enjoy yourself. If you don't enjoy your long runs because they take too much time, then cut them short. Run for a specified amount of time and discover the distance as you go. In another year, you'll discover that instead of running 5 miles in a specific amount of time, you are running 6 miles. Isn't that nice? The idea is to enjoy the sport and let your needs and desires in the sport evolve as you get into shape. If you decide that you don't like being competitive, then just go out and have fun without racing. If you decide that you don't want to run a marathon, then shrug and run a 5k. Or go for a 2 mile jig jog. A year or two down the line, maybe you'll change your mind. Maybe you won't. Either way, just enjoy yourself. Get in shape, be healthier, improve the quality of your life. Keep yourself open to new possibilities and new experiences, but don't feel pressured just because of some people on an internet message board or some friends that you train with decide they want to do something like a marathon.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Runner

umm... try something else...? biking? Swimming? Hiking? shuffleboard? What has made you do the 5 k's? You probably started running for a reason and just need to remember that. You need to vary yourself a lot to make running fun again. Maybe it won't be hence my suggestions for other things. I know one thing I love seeing on my long runs is all the different people running. I guess why they run, wonder how long their runs are, what they are getting out of it. It is an amazing sport that people do for an almost infinite amount of reasons.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Okay, I wrote a little more than I intended to. But guess what, with a little editing it makes for a great newsletter. Would you mind if I used some of your post in one of my running tips newsletters?

Run to Win

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you've been running for less than a year, there's no need to feel like you need to run long runs or need to run a marathon. Just go out and enjoy yourself. If you don't enjoy your long runs because they take too much time, then cut them short. Run for a specified amount of time and discover the distance as you go. In another year, you'll discover that instead of running 5 miles in a specific amount of time, you are running 6 miles. Isn't that nice?
            This is very key. I ran for 1.5 years almost entirely for time, not mileage. Only since I started running with my Garmin do I find myself thinking of things the other way around, but I still shoot for a window of time, often based upon what other things I need to do in a day, weather, general health, etc. I don't think anyone needs to or even should run a marathon. I have plans to run one this Fall, but this will be after 2.5 years of running and I've already decided that if I don't enjoy it I'll be more than happy to go back to shorter distances, since I know I like doing races of 15k-25k.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

guess that puts you in the category of " JOGGER" ...hang your head in shame....arrrghhhhhhhh Cool Just kidding...why sweat it...are you doing what you like? I like 5K races cause they have great shirts....don't care much about running it...don't know many people there. Don't really want to run a marathon because my job and my life won't let me be that focused on myself... In all things there is a balance...sounds like you found yours and somewhere, you are picking up some feelings that you should be doing MORE>..are you a perfectionist by any chance??? Wink
                If you enjoy running, run for yourself, for your reasons, as little, as much, as slow or as fast as you want to! You don't have to run a marathon...heck you don't have to run a 5K. I have run 2 marathons. Neither were my idea. I don't regret them; I loved the training way more than I liked the actual races though. I have vowed I will NOT run a marathon this year and I will NOT run fast. I am going to meander my butt all over this town as slow as I like, and no one can make me do any different. I bet I run more miles this year than any other year without training for a marathon, in fact. I have already been asked to run 3 different marathons this year-I simply declined saying "I don't want to." It was a lot easier to say that than I thought it was going to be. So you do what you like. Big grin

I don't think anyone needs to or even should run a marathon. I have plans to run one this Fall, but this will be after 2.5 years of running and I've already decided that if I don't enjoy it I'll be more than happy to go back to shorter distances, since I know I like doing races of 15k-25k.
                  It took me 7 or 8 years before I ran my first marathon, and I didn't run my second marathon until almost 3 years after that. Granted, I started running as a kid, and now I'm a nut job that runs multiple ones per year, but...
                  This is very key. I ran for 1.5 years almost entirely for time, not mileage. Only since I started running with my Garmin do I find myself thinking of things the other way around, but I still shoot for a window of time, often based upon what other things I need to do in a day, weather, general health, etc.
                  Unrelated story: I'm usually pretty good about knowing how long a run is going to take me. If I tell somebody that I'm going out for X number of miles, and should be home around Y time, then I'm usually home within a few minutes of that time. A few months after I met my wife (we were still dating at this point obviously and not yet married) I decided to go for a 17 miler up by my Uncles' houses. Conveniently enough, they live 17 miles apart. My mother and my wife passed me at the 10 mile marker and waved at me, and I was right where I said I'd be around the time I expected them to go by. Well, I'd never run in that direction before on those roads, and the landmark that I used to know when my turn was coming up is down a hill off the right side of the road. It's quite visible when you drive by, but its out of sight when you run by on the far side of the road. Long story short, my 17 miler turned into a 28 miler, and I'd spent the first 12 miles pushing the pace. I wound up finding a different route that I knew seemed familiar (it went by an auction house I'd visited) but it took me about 22 miles before I was 90% certain I'd gone the wrong way and 25 miles before I was 100% certain. The moral of this story? That's when my mother decided my girlfriend was the right woman for me. She was just as much of a wreck as my mother was when I hadn't shown up when I said I would. They spent an hour or so driving the roads trying to find me off to the side or something, but it didn't occur to them how far away I had gone. I slept well that night.

Run to Win

JakeKnight

It's your journey. It's about you. Not about anybody else. Follow it where you decide it should go. Nothing else matters. But above all else, quit treating it like work. It's play. If you treat it as such, and come to love it enough, you may one day look at this thread and laugh, because you just finished your 50th marathon. Or maybe you'll stay on this path forever. So what? It's for you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

I don't even like to drive 26 miles. 3 miles, 3 times a week is fine with me. I leave overachieving to most other parts of my life. Smile
                      Steve Boyett
                      Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                      Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                        However you enjoy running is what is best. My husband runs 4 days a week on average, 3 miles mostly with a 4 miler thrown in here or there. He doesn't really like running (so he says) but he loves how he feels when he's done. He'll do one or two 5k races a year and to him that's plenty. Every now and then I'll put pressure on him to try for a faster time or a further distance and he always says the same thing "you run your way, I'll run mine".

Michelle

kcam

Not everyone has to be a runner, or a runner who does marathons or a runner who does ANY races. You must find your own path, Grasshopper. Seriously, I see that your log includes runs labeled "tempo", "interval" and "long" - not good at your stage of running. For a long time you ran 3 easy miles per week - GOOD. But then you jumped into changing one or two of those runs into interval, tempo or long but still only running 3 times per week. I think you jumped the gun on intervals and tempo. I'd go back to easy 3 mile runs but add another 3 mile day for a month. Then maybe add another easy 3 mile day for another month. Then cut back to 3 days a week again but make the middle day 5 or 6 miles of easy running. Etc, etc, etc. Rinse and repeat. See if you like it. Key is easy running. Oh, and being sick can't be helping your running or how you feel about it. Maybe that bout of sickness was brought on by overdoing the interval/tempo/long thing? Good luck!
                            Lots of great advice already, especially from Blaine and Jake. Blaine gets more credit however, by virtue of the fact that he is 10 years younger than our simian friend. I'll only add "never say never", life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. It likes to throw curves at people, and it loves a good surprise every now and again. Be happy. Smile

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A Saucy Wench

My dh doesnt even see the point of entering a 5K. He goes out at lunch. He runs. That's it, end of story. He isnt obsessed with it, just join forums Blush, barely remembers to get new shoes, has no gear or special clothes. Absolutely dont even think about marathons right now. There is absolutely no reason ever for ANYONE to run a marathon except the "I WANT TO" reason. Really, there is no secret level of fitness achieved by running a marathon that you couldnt get with out it. Think about WHY you run. What do you want to get out of it. What purpose does it serve in your life. Run for that.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wingz

Professional Noob

It's your journey. It's about you. Not about anybody else. Follow it where you decide it should go. Nothing else matters. But above all else, quit treating it like work. It's play. If you treat it as such, and come to love it enough, you may one day look at this thread and laugh, because you just finished your 50th marathon. Or maybe you'll stay on this path forever. So what? It's for you.
                                Yeah. What the gorilla said. Big grin There seems to be this idea out there that anyone who's anyone is either training for a marathon or has done one or more. Know what? There's more to running than marathons... and (blasphemy, I know!) there's more to life than running. If training for a marathon's not for you, then DON'T DO IT. It's that simple. Who said you had to train for a marathon, anyway? Run how YOU want to, not how you think you SHOULD. Right now it sounds like you just need to relax a little and play things by ear... counting calories is hard work. It works for a lot of people, but it's difficult. Training by the book is also hard work. It works for a lot of people, but it's difficult. You don't have to do either to succeed. There are as many paths to success as there are people who choose to succeed. Why's that? Because everyone's definition of success is different. It doesn't make sense to follow anyone else's path when chances are real good it's not leading you where you want to go.

Roads were made for journeys...