Cold feet (Read 633 times)

i love to run, but I really dislike the cold. My feet tend to get really cold, i mean cold. This tends to take the enjoyment out of running. i will train hard during the fall and then i don't run during the winter, due to my cold feet. I think it's a circulation problem or something. Any ideas on keeping my feet warm.
      How cold are you talking about? Like -20F or +20F or ...? Are you running in snow (not on top of it, but feet getting buried in it) or in slush or just wet or ...? I'll usually wear Smartwool socks year round. I might use a liner sock in wet conditions, even in summer, or near 10F and colder. If cold (below 0F) or cold and windy (say, 10F with 20+mph wind), I'll frequently use a neoprene sock. If I'm snowshoe running, I'll have a neoprene overbootie on anyway or I might use that overbootie with some other traction device. Also consider a hat and maybe more insulation on legs. Try to keep as much heat going to feet as possible and not get lost in those long, thin pipes, called legs. BTW, I do get cold feet (turn blue in doctor's office for well physical), and I asked him about that. He said, no, that I have really good circulation - or at least a strong pulse entering my feet.
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        Wearing cotton socks is a major cause of cold feet since they get wet and conduct heat away from your skin. Try wearing thick athletic socks made of material designed to wick moisture away from your skin. Thorlo makes good ones. Another cause is wearing running shoes with mesh in the toe area. You may want to look into a different shoe for winter running. Tom

My sweet new crank!

the best socks i have found in a long time are a brand called Darn Tough. I have had very happy feet on long snowy cold windy runs... www.darntough.com
          Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
          chrimbler

I think most of it has been covered...wear a hat, keep the core warm maybe use sme of those little chemical heat packs on your feet. If that doesn't help you very well may have poor circulation Undecided
            Run like you stole it!
            milkbaby

Like mentioned above, Smartwool socks are pretty good in the cold and still have wicking properties. I think Ingenius makes some wool blend tech socks that may work as well. A neoprene sock can keep out the water and wind, and you might even consider a gaiter to keep out wind from the top of your shoe. You could also look into some of the all-weather type shoes that are made with smaller mesh on the upper and with waterproof Gore-Tex fabric. I don't have them myself, but I have read that the GoreTex seems to trap the heat in some, not as cool as other shoes...
              "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                thanks for all the feedback, i tried the smartwool socks and they work great...i'll be running alot more this winter than in past winters
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...another convert/addict. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay