Why do you run? (Read 237 times)

thediamonddog

Big philosophical question here. I'm curious as to why people run?
    It hurts, it's solo, it's repetitive, it can take ages...so why do you run? Why not other sports? Why don't you go to the gym instead?

I never really asked myself this until recently, but I realised that I run because it's the only physical activity i'm good at! I've never been actually been that great at any sport, but i'm half-decent at running.

I also realised that I run because it's hard...weird but there is something about doing something difficult and accomplishing that is really satisfactory....and I can do it on my own because I hate relying on others.

So why do you run?

mikeymike

Because runners run.

Runners run

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Running is a solo thing which suits me fine. I don't have to have someone to go with me and I'm not stuck with someone else's schedule (whether that's gym hours, class time, workout partner). I run because it's my time and because I can. I'm not great at it. I'm intimidated by full marathons and ultras. I'm not fast. But I can go run and, for the most part, most runners don't care. The running community counts anyone who is willing to lace up and go even though it's hard.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HermosaBoy

I started running to beat an ex-girlfriend in a race. Then I found out I like it and I am good at it...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I also realised that I run because it's hard...

This reminds me of that quote "If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.  It's the hard that makes it great."  But wasn't that about baseball?

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

So my kids don’t see their dad die from a heart attack at the age of 9. Not sure it will work but personal experience has me hoping it will.

And it turns out I enjoy it.

CalBears

To beat Mikkey...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

I started in jr high, as XC was the first organized school sport available to us in a small rural Oregon town. I had to get talked into it by the other guys. I came out the second week. By the end of that week most of them had quit, I stayed on to be able to boast that I could stick it out. 5 weeks later I won district. After that, I stuck with running because I was GOOD at it.  It gave me a sense of achievement, and the confidence in other things that comes with having success at something. After so many years of it, it has become my go-to exercise, my meditation, and my therapy.

And now 45 years later, for better or worse those are probably the reasons I continue to run; sense of achievement and accomplishment, confidence, and internal boasting about comparisons with my peers. (told you some things were worse!)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Big philosophical question here. I'm curious as to why people run?
                    It hurts, it's solo, it's repetitive, it can take ages...so why do you run? Why not other sports? Why don't you go to the gym instead?

I never really asked myself this until recently, but I realised that I run because it's the only physical activity i'm good at! I've never been actually been that great at any sport, but i'm half-decent at running.

I also realised that I run because it's hard...weird but there is something about doing something difficult and accomplishing that is really satisfactory....and I can do it on my own because I hate relying on others.

So why do you run?

Well that’s not really true, unless you get injured or train too fast.  Yes, the actually racing can be mentally/physically tough...but running is very simple and shouldn’t be difficult.

I’m a member of a gym and have played other sports. I took up running at 42yo and that was probably the right time for me to get into running as it stopped me from becoming a fat slob.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

To beat Mikkey...

That’s a good reason. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dumrunner

Like you, thediamonddog, one of the reasons I run is because while I like sports, I was never very good at them, but running is something I am reasonably good at (for my age, anyways) and I get a certain amount of satisfaction from that. I like how it helps my mental state; I can be upset or unhappy or anxious and a few miles in, I have none of that and am on my way to a better place. I like running really long distances, overnight and through the woods and through cities where I don't really know if I will finish, because so much of life these days (even now, with COVID-19, and I thank God for this) seems scripted for a safe finish if you just follow the rules. I have followed the rules all my life (and again, I give thanks that I have had the opportunity to follow those rules), but with running, it gets me to a place that's a little bit beyond the rules.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

kitten ‘thediamonddog’ kat. 

I lift, walk and do yoga but running makes me happy.

i hurt my foot 2 weeks and and is hard not to run when I know I shouldn’t.

going out in the woods for an hour or two always makes me happy.

thediamonddog

Loving the responses here, I think running is the only fitness activity/sport that's quite personal. I guess running is whatever you want it to be, running is yours.

thediamonddog

kitten ‘thediamonddog’ kat. 

Hey mikkey, just saw your stat in your sig. Some pretty good times there! I'm like 3 -5 mins off each of those. I'd love to achieve sub1- 5km and a sub 40-10km.

Unfortunately I have really aggravated my IT Band, and i can't run for more than 3km without it flaring up. Locked in rehab at the mo Sad