Why do you run? (Read 237 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I started running in HS because it was the only sport where my 99 lbs (actually 82 lbs as a freshman) weakling body wasn't a disqualifying liability.  I wasn't any good, but the cross country and track teams didn't cut anyone.   I returned to running as an adult for fitness because that was something I was familiar with.  I was surprised to see that I was no longer bring up the rear in races, which was a big incentive to train more.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Honestly, until this year I would have told you that I ran to compete, but I guess I was wrong about that one, since I'm still running....

I think honestly it's that I love those moments where you can feel your body firing in sync - heart, lungs, legs, torso all working in rhythm.    I love that feeling in all sports, but it's easier to find in running.

I also love experimenting and observing over time - if I tweak my training this way, what is the result?    Running (and observing others' running) allows me to constantly learn.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

skim1124

Running to eat

Physiologically, I run to maintain my weight so that I don't have to buy new clothes.

Psychologically, I run because I enjoy setting goals and meeting them, because I like to challenge myself to do things that most people can't or won't.

Economically, I run because it's a hobby I can enjoy without spending much money.

Socially--no, I run alone so there's no social benefit.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

JakobS

Because this community has inspired and motivated me to change my life for the better. Thank you guys!

thediamonddog

Honestly, until this year I would have told you that I ran to compete, but I guess I was wrong about that one, since I'm still running....

I think honestly it's that I love those moments where you can feel your body firing in sync - heart, lungs, legs, torso all working in rhythm.    I love that feeling in all sports, but it's easier to find in running.

I also love experimenting and observing over time - if I tweak my training this way, what is the result?    Running (and observing others' running) allows me to constantly learn.

Hi Darkwave. Interesting, what kinds of things you tweak in your training.

Also, I know exactly what you mean regarding your body firing in sync, I think with running you pay more attention to your body than any other sport.

Yooper3.1

I Wanna Look Good Naked GIF - AmericanBeauty KevinSpacey WorkOut ...

corland

To channel a very addictive personality away from alcohol, drugs, and gluttony.

Resident Historian

Running:
                  Keeps my weight down (relatively).
                  Gets me out in nature.
                  Reduces stress.

Appeals to my competitive side. I love racing...
                     ... but it's really cooperative as well.
                  I love the camaraderie among runners.

But mostly, I just enjoy the movement, the effort, the overall experience of running. It feels good (almost always).

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

mediumrare

because it feels really good when i stop.

Cyberic

Don't need hand-eye coordination and almost no skill to run. That's why I suck less at running than at other sports, and therefore I run.

After 10+ years, 22,000+ miles, and more races than I care to count, I still don't really have a succinct, honest answer for this question. Probably never will, and it doesn't matter. I'm a runner, so I run.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

My motivations have changed over the years. These days I run because it helps me to clear my head and I find it very freeing, particularly if I'm out on a trail. It's an enjoyable way of keeping fit for me personally.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Big philosophical question here. I'm curious as to why people run?
                            It hurts, it's solo, it's repetitive, it can take ages...so why do you run? Why not other sports? Why don't you go to the gym instead?

I never really asked myself this until recently, but I realised that I run because it's the only physical activity i'm good at! I've never been actually been that great at any sport, but i'm half-decent at running.

I also realised that I run because it's hard...weird but there is something about doing something difficult and accomplishing that is really satisfactory....and I can do it on my own because I hate relying on others.

So why do you run?
                             It is cheaper than cocaine 

It also hurts less than working on my off road vehicle. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

keiraec

It's the best form of meditation I know, and the only one that works for me.

Working with Myassignmenthelp.

Hello! I'm new here. I decided to start running to lose weight