That "Donate" button (again) (Read 474 times)

Tramps

Eric, I know this comes up from time to time but you still need to put a donate button (or at least a clearer link to the subscription page) on the Home page so it's obvious and easy to find.  I just made my little annual donation but it took me 10 minutes of searching old threads and clicking through all the links to eventually find THIS.   (Hint to others: look under Options/ Subscription Plan )

This is an awesome site and I'm repeatedly amazed at what a great job you do keeping it innovative, updated, clean and easy-to-use.  My one complaint?  It shouldn't be so difficult to give you money.  Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Feeling the growl again

+1.  When I donated awhile back I had to look around for a couple minutes.  If I'd had a button to look at I may have remembered to donate sooner.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

eric :)

I designed the RA from a user's perspective: I don't like seeing ads and I certainly don't like websites constantly trying to part with my money with "premium" memberships.  At the same time, I acknowledge that a website (or business) without income will not last long.  I don't want to charge money for additional (oftentimes trivial) functionality.  This site is created for everyone but not everyone can afford a fee based membership.

I was hoping that the ads would provide enough revenue so I don't have to ask for money.  The ad money covers all expenses associated with operating the website, including hardware upgrades.  It's even enough to pay for some living expenses.  Good thing Mrs. eric Smile is supportive.

I'm happy to take suggestions on how to make the subscription/donate option more visible without it being obnoxious.

eric Smile

Queen of 3rd Place

I had the same problem a few days ago. How about on the home page, near the bottom, where there's also the feeback and help links? Instead of "donate", maybe it could read "subscribe"?

Ex runner

mikeymike

I think an additional "donate" button on the home page only (not on the training log or forums) would not be the least bit obnoxious.

"Subscribe" is not really intuitive if you are already a subscriber--you might not think to click the subscribe link looking for the donate button if you know you have already subscribed.

Runners run

zonykel

Wikipedia, PBS, etc. all have campaigns for donations to continue services. Don't be shy about asking for donations/contributions. after all, your work is valuable to us.

MTA: Donation made! Thanks for the awesome site!

xor

Wikipedia, PBS, etc. all have campaigns for donations to continue services. Don't be shy about asking for donations/contributions. after all, your work is valuable to us.

Yes, but specific to eric's concern, PBS' model is the way NOT to do it. (that said, I totally agree with you, totally)

Eric, just make the subscribe option more discoverable on user set up, in "options" and a blurb on the homepage.  Consider adding a "subscribe/donate" link in the log and/or forum nav.  It doesn't need to be in our face, but it should be less hard to find.

Tramps

"Options" just isn't intuitive.  How about something discrete at the bottom of the home page like this:

A link on the word "subscribe" would take you to the current options/subscription page.

Be safe. Be kind.

sluggo

John

I think you should just put a "donate" tab at the top of each page.

Home | Training Log | Resources | Community | Donate

The donate tab would drop you into a page where you explain that donations are not required for increased functionality but that this is your job and they do help you support the running community by running this site.

Being honest is not offensive.

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Home | Training Log | Resources | Community | Donate

The donate tab would drop you into a page where you explain that donations are not required for increased functionality but that this is your job and they do help you support the running community by running this site.

Being honest is not offensive.

+1

steph  

Wing

Joggaholic

I agree with that suggestion. I rarely scrolls to or pay attention to the bottom of webpages, having something at the top at least will make sure it will be visible when the page first loads.

I normally dislike frequent annoying donation ads on sites, but I think RA went the other extreme and made it a bit too hidden.

xor

I think there needs to be something in between.  More discoverable, but please no donate button on the top of each and every page.

Prince of Fatness

I think there needs to be something in between.  More discoverable, but please no donate button on the top of each and every page.

I like the idea.  If it was on the menu bar next to "Community" it would be on every page but would not take up any room at the expense of the page content.  I would suggest to not have any sub options drop down when you hover over it (like the "Home" option).

The link could go to a "Donate" page which could contain an explanation (Eric's post in this thread would sum it up) and the actual donate button.

Not at it at all. 

Another thing about donating for me is that I'm trying to donate in addition to my subscription but it just looks like it gets added on to my subscription period.  I think there should be two seperate buttons.  Donate and Subscribe.

hvmorfun

mad cow

Knowing that the presence of ads allows this page to remain free to users, does one's use of AdBlock in any way affect revenue?

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!