Lose weight for half marathon (Read 2673 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You probably didn't know there are so many great runners here who have lost so much weight!

I'd say patience is key.  An injury can put a stop to your running program instantly, so take it slow and plan for the long term.

And, there's no way you can burn calories running as fast as you can take them in eating, so don't expect the calorie burn to be key to your weight loss.  It might work for weight loss if your running takes the place of some of your eating.  Hungry?  Go for a run.

e454545rt

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It's very motivating to know that so many people here have lost a large amount of weight. I miss playing competitive sports when I was in High School and have been looking for something to fill that void ever since. Running is great because I love the fact that I can challenge not only others, but MYSELF to improve. 

Thank you all for the many suggestions!

Right now my main focus is on sticking to a calorie goal and getting through the C25K Program. Based on the feedback here, I think I'll add some sort of recovery drink after my runs and keep it at a simple pace for now so that I don't get injured. It's amazing how much better shape I am in already after only running for 4-5 weeks. It's nice to know the body will adapt when you challenge it. 

Rob:

You are going to kick tail in your half marathon and lose a bunch of weight in the training process.  A half marathon in October is a very reasonable goal.

I weighed 269 pounds in August of 2010 and had only run once or twice in all of 2010.  I signed up in August for a half marathon in January of 2011 with an eye towards weight loss and conditioning.

I was running 3-4 times a week with a long run on Saturdays.  Take it easy and slowly increase your mileage. 

I've lost 30 pounds and recently completed my first and second half marathons (January 2011 and February 2011).

Never give up!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thank you very much for the advice! Very inspiring to hear that you have accomplished all that. Since I'm new to this, I really had no clue what my expectations could/should be. I've started tracking my caloric intake and am trying to eat healthier foods. I naturally eat more when I workout a lot. It's like I become ravenous and have to eat more. It's weird. I guess the body knows what it wants.

My calf muscles tighten up pretty quickly when jogging/running. I just purchased some compression socks so I'm hoping that helps. A lot of the times that I start walking it's not because I have to from a cardio standpoint, but more because my calf muscles tighten up. Although I recently changed shoes and am focusing on landing flat on my feet instead of towards the front which seems to be helping.

I definitely agree with the distance over speed idea. Right now I'm trying to push myself farther and farther, and will worry about the faster part later.

I have read that one of the reasons to increase slowly, is that you are not just building aerobic endurance, but also building muscles, denser capillaries, and other stuff I forget - various adaptations to running that your body will achieve -- hopefully without injury -- and taking it more slowly helps decrease the chance of injury.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

RMX982

Just to let you know, I started out similar to you.  I was 265 lbs. and started the C25K program.  I ran my first 5k last August and became addicted to running.  With about five 5k's under my belt, I decided to train for a marathon.  I gave myself just 16 weeks to train, and wanted to be at 180 lbs. for the marathon.  I signed up for one in Alabama (I live in Michigan) and bought a plane ticket and booked a hotel, so there was no backing out.  I got to 177 lbs and completed the marathon in 4 hours 22 minutes.  

My only problem was, I should have allowed myself more time to train.  I ran into some injury problems from training too quickly.  

Your goal of a half marathon seems much more reasonable, especially with the amount of time you are giving yourself.  

As for the weight.  I was eating way more than I ever have, and was just shedding pounds.  It is a great feeling.

Good luck to you,  keep us informed.

tomatolover

Though i haven't lost a ton of weight since I began running, I find my attitude and sense of ok-ness with myself and my body have improved dramatically.  For some great weight loss inspiration, I suggest you check out this RA thread

Before and Now

Am I doing this right?

I'll give you another similar story:

At the beginning of 2010 I was 300+ lbs.  When the snow melted I started C25K for a Mother's Day 5K and fell in love.  I signed up for a Sept. 1/2 marathon and started training.  I ran the 1/2 marathon in Sept. at 230 lbs.

One thing that helped me with my training was halhigdon.com.  He has some great training plans on there.  I used the Novice plan for my 1/2 marathon last year.  I'm using the Intermediate right now for a May 1/2.  I'm also planning to use one of his marathon training plans for a fall marathon.

Good luck.  Just remember weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.  Watch what goes in, and keep running.  The weight will come off.

No excuses....

e454545rt

I'll give you another similar story:

At the beginning of 2010 I was 300+ lbs.  When the snow melted I started C25K for a Mother's Day 5K and fell in love.  I signed up for a Sept. 1/2 marathon and started training.  I ran the 1/2 marathon in Sept. at 230 lbs.

One thing that helped me with my training was halhigdon.com.  He has some great training plans on there.  I used the Novice plan for my 1/2 marathon last year.  I'm using the Intermediate right now for a May 1/2.  I'm also planning to use one of his marathon training plans for a fall marathon.

Good luck.  Just remember weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.  Watch what goes in, and keep running.  The weight will come off.

Awesome job! I'll have to check out that site.

e454545rt

I just checkout out that site halhigdon.com...

Great site! I've been looking for a half marathon training program. Once I finish up C25K I might go into the "novice" half marathon training from that site. I like having a plan all set out for me. Thanks!

Watch this story for inspiration!  She has quite an amazing story that started about 2 years ago....

http://farnorthdallas.advocatemag.com/2011/02/no-way-but-up/

When I started running a few years ago, it was a run / walk strategy.  Within a couple of months, I was running 6 miles straight.

The key is heart rate.  Buy a HR monitor with a good lap counter.  Keep your HR at about 180 minus your age (if 40 years old, then 140).  You'll lose weight and be prepared for the event.

Cheers,
                      Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

empty1971

I just checkout out that site halhigdon.com...

Great site! I've been looking for a half marathon training program. Once I finish up C25K I might go into the "novice" half marathon training from that site. I like having a plan all set out for me. Thanks!

Add me to the list of folks who lost weight and ran a half.   I started last year at 238 and am now at 193  Just completed my first half. 

I am glad you are looking at training plans.  Higdon is great.

I find that having the plan was really helpful in staying with my running.

http://worththehurt.blogspot.com/

Higdon is o.k. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

e454545rt

Higdon is o.k. 

Is there another plan that you would recommend more?

I'm open to all suggestions. Besides C25K and Higdon, I don't know any other training options for newer runners...

Future running partner.

Is there another plan that you would recommend more?

I'm open to all suggestions. Besides C25K and Higdon, I don't know any other training options for newer runners...

If you are training for a half. What works well is after completing C25K you could go right into this Jeff galloway program.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

One thing about this program is it will have you going longer than Half Marathon distance on some of the training runs once you are about a month away from the race. If you don't get that far, that's ok. If you can cover about 11 miles in training then you shouldn't have any trouble finishing the race as long as you don't go out too hard, and just run to finish.

e454545rt

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.