Lose weight for half marathon (Read 2673 times)

e454545rt

Just a quick update...

I'm now in Week 7 of C25k, haven't had to repeat weeks or anything like that. The interval part of the program is now done and it's solely warm up then run x amount of time. Currently the program calls for 25 min straight. I'm glad to report that I'm doing that fairly easily. I haven't pushed the speed too much yet, but I think I'm at the point where I can kick things up a notch.

I switched my shoes up and it's making a world of difference. Neutral Cushioning is definitely the right kind for me. I'm down 16.4 lbs since I began C25K on Feb. 7th.

Fantastic, man. 

Ready to push it to 35 min?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

salty

Congratulations! Way to stick to it.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh..."

"Clever."

"Yeah, and clever."

e454545rt

Fantastic, man. 

Ready to push it to 35 min?

It's really all mental to me. If I go into it doubting myself, I probably couldn't do it. If I just say, ok, gotta do what I gotta do then I could probably do it.

I think week 8 is 28 min, then the program ends with week 9 at 30. After that is when I'll really let loose and see what I can do. I think I'll be going into Higdon, so with that program, the pace and everything is really up to me. So I'll be able to push myself some days, and take easier days when I feel like I need it.

Am I doing this right?

I'm down 16.4 lbs since I began C25K on Feb. 7th.

That's great!  Way to go!  Keep up the good work.  Just keep logging the miles, everything else will fall into place.

No excuses....

fast momma!

The only  thing I have to add is that whether you run on a treadmill or outside, as you get used to running a little longer each time, you will have a sense of what speed you could keep going for a lot longer. For example, I am a pretty slow (and really short) runner, so fast for me is a 10 minute mile or less. I know that if i slow that down to 11-12 minute miles, I could go almost forever. Once your legs and your brain figure this out, it makes stretching your long run a little bit each week or month easier. I just tell myself, I know I can do one more mile if I just start out slow and take it easy. I am up to 10 mile long runs with this mental attitude and it really helps me. Then I know I have enough gas in the tank to go a little farther. Good Luck!

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

Marylander

Very cool, nice work!

El Jafaz

El Jafaz

RMX, I think you are doing great!  I started out at 312 pounds in February of 2010 and just finished my second half-marathon at 180 pounds.  My advice, is find a training plan that is comfortable for you (I actually created my own by stealing little bits of lots of different ones).  Don't get frustrated and just enjoy the time you run to clear your mind of the hectic clutter and focus on things that are important to you.  That is what makes running (no matter what level) so enjoyable to me, its my meditation time.

Beginner all over again

Thanks guys. Last year I got into running a little and did too much too early and got injured. So this time around I'm starting off with C25K and just trying to take it one day at a time. I think as long as I progress as time goes on I'll be fine. Just gotta remember that at my weight there is more stress on the body during running.

C25K was too strenuous for me when I started Running the first time.

I found good progress with Galloway's Beginner guidelines.

This time around I'm doing Low Heart Rate training, which is like Galloway in the beginning because of the Jog/walk/Jog nature of the earliest weeks.

But I wanted to say Hello

I am doing a HM in the Fall also

Do you have your training progression plan in  mind already?

Mine is just an incremental mild build-up each week, taking every 3rd week as a cutback week.

And it's by Minutes not miles, and I have a maximum HeartRate I don't exceed, so it's got those built-in protections against overdoing it,  injury.

:-)

dreamer of dreams

Higdon is perfect! I have a friend who was where you were a year ago, and he completed his first half marathon in November. So it is definitely doable if you stick with the training. He did his second half a couple of weeks ago. You can totally do this. My only advice is to try not to focus on the weight loss, because it's easy to get discouraged if you don't lose what you are expecting to lose. Let the weight loss be a nice bonus to finishing the distance from week to week.
                      e454545rt

RMX, I think you are doing great!  I started out at 312 pounds in February of 2010 and just finished my second half-marathon at 180 pounds.  My advice, is find a training plan that is comfortable for you (I actually created my own by stealing little bits of lots of different ones).  Don't get frustrated and just enjoy the time you run to clear your mind of the hectic clutter and focus on things that are important to you.  That is what makes running (no matter what level) so enjoyable to me, its my meditation time.

Awesome job! 180 is my ultimate goal weight. Although this time around I began at 255 lbs, my highest weight back in 2007 was 290 lbs.

As of this morning I am 235 lbs, so 20 lbs down since Feb 7th, and 55 lbs since 2007. I did C25K Week 8 / Day 1 last night and it went pretty well. Only 5 more workouts! I'm actually kind of excited of it being over, because I'd like to have the chance to test out different types of runs at different distances / paces, etc. Right now it's just walk 5 minutes, run 28 minutes, then walk 5 minutes.

Loves the outdoors

It sounds like you are doing great!  I got into running using C25K  and it was wonderful for me. It got me hooked on running and 2 years later I can't imagine stopping. I lost 70lbs and am now a fit and healthy role model for my kids.

When I finished the C25K I just kept extending one of the runs longer and longer and then eventually added an extra day running. Once I really found the shorter runs easy I started having a bit of fun doing some faster running some days. Oh and I entered a 5K race - so much fun. You should find one and enter it now! I bet you'll love it.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

e454545rt

I actually already have done a 5k. I did the 2011 Lowell First Run on New Year's Day. I got 39:48 and my goal was under 40. That was all before C25K though, so we'll see how I do on the ones that I have scheduled. I have a 5k on Mother's Day, one on Father's Day, a 10k in early September, and a half marathon in October. Obviously I plan on improving on that time.

I just found an overnight marathon/ultra that goes around a lake. I guess each lap is 3.1 miles. I was considering doing the marathon with the plan of walking a lot of it. It's overnight so there isn't any pressure on time, especially since it's an ultra as well. So many of the runners will be going a long time. I was thinking this might be fun to just kind of gauge the distance for my half marathon as well as just be something fun to do. We'll see though. That one is in July.

Loves the outdoors

I actually already have done a 5k. I did the 2011 Lowell First Run on New Year's Day. I got 39:48 and my goal was under 40. That was all before C25K though, so we'll see how I do on the ones that I have scheduled. I have a 5k on Mother's Day, one on Father's Day, a 10k in early September, and a half marathon in October. Obviously I plan on improving on that time.

I just found an overnight marathon/ultra that goes around a lake. I guess each lap is 3.1 miles. I was considering doing the marathon with the plan of walking a lot of it. It's overnight so there isn't any pressure on time, especially since it's an ultra as well. So many of the runners will be going a long time. I was thinking this might be fun to just kind of gauge the distance for my half marathon as well as just be something fun to do. We'll see though. That one is in July.

Ah, clearly you did love the 5k race and now have the racing bug. I'll leave others to talk about the marathon, but I have to say that the distance freaks me out at this early stage of my running life. I'm happy to build up my distances slowly. 42.2 km is a very very long way.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

e454545rt

I'd go into the marathon expecting to walk the majority of it. I'm probably not going to end up signing up for it. I just thought that it was neat that it was overnight and there were no time limits.