Color Run? Whats the Point (Read 477 times)

I did one color run.  Oh my, mix those colors up your nose, and you'll get some black stuff back for a day or two. It was different, and I did the event with friends. We had fun, but I wasn't a fan of not being able to breathe when that stuff went up my nose.  I probably will not do another.  It also bothered me that the color volunteers were breathing in the colored corn starch for quite a while.  Let's just say they were not smiling, and I don't blame them.

I'd be interested in the rates of reactive airway issues from all that stuff they throw at you.

That might make an interesting study.  Any med students out there looking for a research project?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I did one color run.  Oh my, mix those colors up your nose, and you'll get some black stuff back for a day or two. It was different, and I did the event with friends. We had fun, but I wasn't a fan of not being able to breathe when that stuff went up my nose.  I probably will not do another.  It also bothered me that the color volunteers were breathing in the colored corn starch for quite a while.  Let's just say they were not smiling, and I don't blame them.

Black stuff?  OMG, gross.  Sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen, if any medical issues arise from breathing all those particles in.  I wonder if anyone on the risk management side of these events has actually thought that through.

GC100k

Gotta give the dude who invented it credit for seeing the Hindu Holi festival and saying "people would pay money for that"?

What other religious festivals could we turn into for profit running events?

Tiefsa

Gotta give the dude who invented it credit for seeing the Hindu Holi festival and saying "people would pay money for that"?

Maybe Buddha's Birthday.  We could run as people dump tea on us.

Runner100

Crown of Thorns 5k? Medals could be little crucifixes.

How about that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the monks are marching along chanting and slamming themselves in the head with a board?  Speed the pace up a bit and maybe you've got a fun new 5k.

I have nothing more to add, compared with all the other comments, but I suppose... I just started running again this year after a 20 year pause. (Life, work, and family became a priorty). I have a pair of friends (a husband and wife), who did a mud run last year. They had a blast and invited me along. I said no, (and honestly after 20 years, I wouldn't have completed it). I promised I would run this year, and did.

I view a color run as the same sort of thing. Themed runs, (or events), are meant to get people started. Some stop there and others, such as me keep going. I also did a zombie run, earlier this year. The same couple I mentioned above helped organize it, so I went to support them. I also got a group of young adults together, from work, and we formed a team. It got them all out for the day, and most of them have been talking about running a local 5k this fall, and doing some "serious" training to prepare for next year's zombie run. Also worth noting, my daughter has cerebral palsey, and she took last place overall, BUT, she also completed the race. She would never have ran it if it wasn't a themed event. Getting her on the course, (and all the runs together to prepare,) made the cost well worth it.

So overall, I believe that if people want to spend the money, I think it is a good thing. Personally, I can't see myself doing a color run unless someone else wanted my support, but now that I have started running again, I am looking towards the next challange. I am looking at doing a couple more 5k races, in nearby towns, followed by a two day trail run challange, (10k on first day and 8k second day,) and I am hoping to run a 15k turkey trot by Thanksgiving. So... If these type of events get people out on the roads, then I have no issue with seeing them continue in the future.

I have an idea.  Not a Religious event, but yet this event is sure to have your entire life flashing before your eyes at least one time.

" The Running of the Bulls"  5K.   Race Slogan:  We GUAURANTEE you'll set your lifetime 5K Personal Best Time!"  -- (fine print.. "Or die trying"...)

Approve

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞