Running Log Tip #1 - Intervals (Read 6709 times)

kcam

My biggest problem with the intervals feature is that if I do track workouts (400's, 800's etc) the log won't display them as 400m or 800m.  It defaults to miles.   Annoying as hell.  If I enter them as 800m have it display as 800m and NOT 0.5mile.  I've always used the 'intervals' feature but I'm thinking I'm going to start hand-entering them in the notes section.

My biggest problem with the intervals feature is that if I do track workouts (400's, 800's etc) the log won't display them as 400m or 800m.  It defaults to miles.   Annoying as hell.  If I enter them as 800m have it display as 800m and NOT 0.5mile.  I've always used the 'intervals' feature but I'm thinking I'm going to start hand-entering them in the notes section.

I don't understand.  You mean it displays the total for the workout in miles?  That's a setting in your options.

As for the intervals themselves it displays them in whatever unit you logged them in.  Here's a workout I did in meters.

Runners run

kcam

The difference is that your intervals are entered by hand.  I use my Garmin and upload the intervals.  I don't like entering so many intervals and rests by hand.  Once you've uploaded in a given unit system you can't change that unit.  So my Garmin is set to miles and my 800's are uploaded as 0.51 or 0.52 which I hate so I go edit the intervals and change all the 0.51's to 800m and save.  Even though I changed them to 800m they still display as 0.50 miles.

Unless this gets 'fixed' I guess I'll start entering them by hand either in the Notes section or the Intervals section (or change my Garmin units temporarily to metric for that session - I always forget to do this though).

Ah gotcha.  It sounds more like a GPS import issue than an issue with the intervals feature but what do I know.  It works fine when I go back and edit the unit of measure on the above workout--just for laughs I changed one of the 1000s to .62 miles and saved it.  It worked fine (then I changed it back and saved it because .62 miles is just goofy.)

On another note, doesn't a little part of you feel kind of silly for using a watch that communicate with satellites in space to track your position and distance traveled on Earth's surface when you're just running around a perfectly measured 400m oval?

Runners run

kcam

Yep.  I do feel like a complete douchbag out there on the track wearing my Dick Tracy watch.    But it's so easy to just import the intervals/rests into the log.  And I DO hate 0.62mi intervals in my log!  I'll get over it.

carolynlaitsch

gramapower

Just change tour watch to record in metric instead of US measuring.

carolynlaitsch

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Rest, Interval, Recovery - Anyone care to give me the common definitions? 

Running at the faster pace is usually considered the "interval" (even though the interval originally named the rest period).  But after the "interval", when I'm running at a slower pace, is that "recovery" or "rest"?  Is "rest" when I've actually stopped moving to sit down, or laying flat out on the grass?

Also, how do I mark the "warm-up" period and the "cool-down" period?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I use rest for complete rest, standing, sitting or walking it off.

Recovery I use for easy pace running as recovery (for most workouts, this is what I do)

Warm up and cool down I usually mark as recovery, or as a separate workout, depending on how I'm logging. (Eg. using garmin for warm up/cool down but on track for workout itself) If you do it all as one you end up with a whole lot of 'interval' in your graph even if most of the run was at easy pace, something a little strange. If that worries you, then just log it as a separate workout.

I use Recovery for active recovery and Rest for for inactive recovery.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I use Recovery for active recovery and Rest for for inactive recovery.

Would you mind defining active vs. inactive?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Active = I jog/plod around the track; Passive = I walk slowly around, staying in more or less the same place and just killing time.

MTA: those are just my uses of the workout settings, of course.  You can make 'em stand for whatever you want.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

Just change tour watch to record in metric instead of US measuring.

Royale with cheese.

Not at it at all. 

Running at the faster pace is usually considered the "interval" (even though the interval originally named the rest period).  But after the "interval", when I'm running at a slower pace, is that "recovery" or "rest"?  Is "rest" when I've actually stopped moving to sit down, or laying flat out on the grass?

Also, how do I mark the "warm-up" period and the "cool-down" period?

Not that it matters--it's your training log you can put whatever you want in there--but here is how I think of it:

Interval training refers to the type of workout.  Neither the work period, nor the recovery period is "the interval".  "Recovery" is the slower running, jogging or walking.  "Rest" does not appear in my running log.

Warmup and cooldown are just part of the overall mileage for the workout.  The only time I separate them into their own entry in the log is for races where I want the race to be it's own entry.

The example I used above is pretty typical of how I log interval workouts, if I even bother to use the interval widget:

Here's a workout I did in meters.

Runners run

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I just use the notes field to state 800m or 400m or whatever.  The .50 or .51 miles doesn't bother me, I'm just happy I don't have to manually enter everything.

CJ77

The major problem with the Intervals drop-down menu is that all 3 items [currently] on the list are types of recovery.  There are no items to describe the actual workbouts themselves.

This makes the widget very confusing to use!

"Recovery" = generic Recovery.

"Interval" = incomplete (short) recovery, could be active or passive.

"Rest" =  passive recovery, could be complete (long) or incomplete (interval).

Should be using terms like these instead:

1. Workbout

2. Active Recovery

3. Rest