Many times we make training more complex than necessary (Read 270 times)

dennrunner

I use a derivative of this.

Thanks for sharing.

It is probably very true and effective. For me, that long run recipe looks rather hard. He puts the easy, tempo, MP, speed into one long run. It probably attracts to professional runners and those who are really dedicated to the training and driven by the speed.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Joann Y

thanks

yes, the general idea is to rotate a long run, tempo, and speed workout as the hard workout days.  The big thing here, is that you're identifying the long run as a key workout, and giving it recovery space.

MTA: some people do combo workouts, hill repeats, Michigan's etc, but I'm trying to go along with the KISS theme

elodie.kaye

Thanks for sharing.

It is probably very true and effective. For me, that long run recipe looks rather hard. He puts the easy, tempo, MP, speed into one long run. It probably attracts to professional runners and those who are really dedicated to the training and driven by the speed.

You may have misread, the first 15-16M is all easy-to-MP progression, less than half is actually at MP.  There's only one mile at half-marathon pace or faster.  If you're also running the appropriate supporting mileage of 60-70mpw such that 16-18M isn't too close to your maximum range for a long run, I don't think that's as hard as 10-12M at MP within 18-20M.  I've been doing a shorter version 12-14M on less volume for a 10-miler, and it's one of my most enjoyable workouts.

Why is it sideways?

Remember to run tangents.