business trip to toronto (Read 918 times)

The voice of mile 18

heading to toronto this sunday for a business conference. anyone know toronto well? I'll be near Union station and will be looking for good running routes for the AM and a good local beer. can anyone help me, eh?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Go Pre!

heading to toronto this sunday for a business conference. anyone know toronto well? I'll be near Union station and will be looking for good running routes for the AM and a good local beer. can anyone help me, eh?
      eh? I don't get it Roll eyes We have a great city for running - so many great routes. How far do you want to go? How much time do you have to spare and are you willing to drive, park and then run?

The voice of mile 18

eh? I don't get it Roll eyes We have a great city for running - so many great routes. How far do you want to go? How much time do you have to spare and are you willing to drive, park and then run?
        I am unwilling to drive or take a taxi. ideally would be right outside my hotel (somewhere in the vicinity of union station) I am looking for runs in the 60-90 min range

Go Pre!

I am unwilling to drive or take a taxi. ideally would be right outside my hotel (somewhere in the vicinity of union station) I am looking for runs in the 60-90 min range
          From that location, your best bet is to head south, towards the lake, and west from there. You can follow the waterfront path for about 30-45 minutes and back. Or more creatively, head to High Park. Here is an 18K route I made up for you. And to answer your where to go for beer Q. You can't go wrong at most places (that look respectable Smile ) but if you go here you will find hundreds of beer choices, imported and local micro-brewed. Enjoy, let me know how it goes. clubhouseleader at gmail dot com
            Try Steamwhistle brewery products, local microbrewery, you could probably run there. Otherwise try Rickard's Red. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I travel to Toronto quite often and usually stay at the Royal York which is right across the street from Union Station. I typically run in the afternoon and usually head south until I hit the waterfront path and then follow that west for however far I plan to go that day. It is an enjoyable run - most of the time I have been on the path there has been a gentle, cool breeze blowing off the lake...kind of like running with a built in air conditioner beside you. There are always people out running, biking, rollerblading, etc. I didn't know about Hyde park, I'll have to venture up that way next time I am in town. DaddyO - is Hyde Park before or after the big windmill thing (when running from downtown)?

Go Pre!

I didn't know about Hyde park, I'll have to venture up that way next time I am in town. DaddyO - is Hyde Park before or after the big windmill thing (when running from downtown)?
                High Park, is on the north side of the Expressway (there are foot bridges to get there) and it is about 5k after the hydro-windmill. Whenever anyone is in Toronto and looking for a run, email me - I will try to make it out. (email in signature) D
                  I would go to the world famous "Mill st. brewery" for beer. It's about 5k from Union Station. http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2007/08/mill-street-brew-pub-toronto-on.html Iwould run part of the Scotia Bank Waterfront marathon course. Head south on Bay to Lakeshore and East on Lakeshore to Commissioner st., then south onto the leslie st. spit, and then back. (About 15Km). http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/map.htm MTA to add link to run course.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

High Park, is on the north side of the Expressway (there are foot bridges to get there) and it is about 5k after the hydro-windmill. Whenever anyone is in Toronto and looking for a run, email me - I will try to make it out. (email in signature) D
                    Oops...High Park it is!!! I don't think I am due back in Toronto until fall - I may take you up on your offer to meet for a run!
                    JimR

If you guys go east along Queen's Quay instead of west, you'll hit the beaches which is a fine area to run in the summer. The Martin Goodman Trail is a dedicated biking/running route that runs all along the waterfront. Queen's Quay is part of the trail. Going west takes you to High Park as already noted, if you go east you'll find the entrance back to the trail somewhere across from the big LCBO (Ontario Liquor outlet store), following Cherry Street (south towards the lake), then along Cherry Beach, Unwin Avenue, and you can go either Leslie Spit (nice natural regen park but closed to the public on weekdays) or stay on the MGT and make your way to Ashbridge's Bay and along the boardwalk. Either way you go is a great run and lots of people use it. Depends on what you want to see.
                        Hey Jim how have you been? I didn't know the spit was closed on weekdays. I guess Scarborough people are just tourists Big grin as well.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

The voice of mile 18

Thanks gang!! you're the best

Seconding the recommendation for the Mill Street Brewery. I can't help you on the routes as I'm in mid town and my routes are all a taxi ride away.
                            And who am I anyway?
                            Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                            JimR

Hey Jim how have you been? I didn't know the spit was closed on weekdays. I guess Scarborough people are just tourists Big grin as well.
                              Hey, Pat, long time no hear, I thought you fell off the Earth or something. Good to see you're still running...how's thing?

Go Pre!

I would go to the world famous "Mill st. brewery" for beer. It's about 5k from Union Station. http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2007/08/mill-street-brew-pub-toronto-on.html Iwould run part of the Scotia Bank Waterfront marathon course. Head south on Bay to Lakeshore and East on Lakeshore to Commissioner st., then south onto the leslie st. spit, and then back. (About 15Km). http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/map.htm MTA to add link to run course.
                                FYI, this is where I live and run frequently. Leslie Spit is smelly gross and nasty in hot weather. And getting there along the lakeshore? Not nearly as nice as Queens quay and westward. IMHO Mill St Brewery is a great spot though so your post doesn't totally 'stink' MTA: The Beach is a nice area to run (about 4-5 miles east of your hotel) Problem is that 4-5 miles is not particularly recommended running. Smile