Relax Boston Standards? (Read 411 times)

This is all dumb. If you want to run Boston next year show the race some respect and go bust your ass. Run more, faster, or fundraise. Don't look for a handout.

+1

If you wanted easy you wouldn't be running a marathon.

L Train

Hell the charity spots are harder to get than the qualifying spots at Boston.

If they relaxed anything it seems it may be that they would allow more of these, especially if you could run for the victims.

Julia1971

On my training run I thought of something they could do - support shadow runs.  Runners can purchase bibs that look like the Boston One Fund with the proceeds going to the fund.  On marathon day, runners all over the world wear that bib on their run.  Something like that would be very powerful.

Feeling the growl again

Tell the author to get off my lawn.  That, and go try to deal with the race-day logistics in the middle of a wave, then come back and try to argue that the race should be bigger.  IMHO the people of Hopkinton are pretty dang accommodating as-is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

On my training run I thought of something they could do - support shadow runs.  Runners can purchase bibs that look like the Boston One Fund with the proceeds going to the fund.  On marathon day, runners all over the world wear that bib on their run.  Something like that would be very powerful.

Not a bad idea.  Or we* could even take it a step further and organize "shadow marathons."  Victims are honored, money is raised, birds are flipped to the terrorists, everyone gets to participate.

*by "we" I mean "someone else with more time"

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mmmmm...beer

No way, ridiculous.  Part of the appeal of Boston is that you have to earn the right to be there.  Shadow runs are a great idea, and I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to support Boston, but leave the marathon the way it is.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mysecondnewname

^Congratulations!  You must be quite a fast shuffler.

Thanks! Wink

I like this quote from the BAA Communications Manager, Mark Davis:  “Please, people, don’t just show up,” don’t run unregistered. Practically, it could create problematic crowding....”

How does it honor the victims to ruin the race by overwhelming it?

DoppleBock

If you want to let people feel good about running Boston for Charity etc - In 2014 on April 15th (But more likely April 13 is more feasible) ... run Boston Strong Marathon ... On the actual Boston Marathon course, charge $500 an entry.

THis will allow 2 things - Anyone that has dreamed of running Boston and never will get to qualify to run at a bargin price, compared to charity entries and 2 collect a ton of money for charity.

If there is really going to be such a "General Public" demand - It should get 20,000 entries = 10,000,000 + all the stimulation of the local economy.

If you thin that it will be to big a drag on current Boston Charity entries, then have it at the 1/2 year anniversary of the bombing = October 13th of 2013.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

If you want to have a parade, then have a parade.

But don't go trying to turn the Boston Marathon into a parade!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

#artbydmcbride

Quote from mikeymike on 5/9/2013 at 5:12 AM:

"this isn’t just a marathon to sign up for, this is a marathon you have to qualify for*, and we’re not going to change that basic premise no matter what.”

*Unless you can raise some money for charity. Then screw tradition.  Feel free to go knock yourself out for six and a half hours.

Or you are one of the many many local club runners and corporate contacts that we hand out bibs to......

Runners run

Or you are one of the many many local club runners and corporate contacts that we hand out bibs to......

"Hand out" may be a bit strong. It's a fair trade. The running clubs provide boat loads of volunteers and receive exempt bibs in proportion to  hours worked. The corporate sponsors provide volunteers AND cash. The race simply wouldn't happen (at least not in its present 27,000 runner form) without both.

Runners run

GC100k

They are going to have a huge record number of applicants for next year. There's no reason to relax the standards.  I honestly don't understand why the bombing would make you more desirous of getting in, but that's the reality.

xhristopher

Aren't these bibs given by the BAA in exchange for various types of support of the race? And then these bibs are usually given to club members or employees as rewards for being active, etc... So, it's part of the economy that keeps the race as a running for the rest of us. Plus, in my observation, local club runners are actually runners.

mta: what mike said. someone interrupted me from posting. damn work!

#artbydmcbride

Oh I agree about the 'exempt' bibs that clubs and corporations get are important to the race ...I just get annoyed that no one makes fun of them, but folks always dis the Charity runners.   They pay their entry fee, raise money all year and they are runners too.  But folks like to sneer at them for not 'having qualified'.   But they aren't the only ones who don't qualify.

Runners run

Lets not sneer at anyone who runs Boston. I'm good with that.

Well, except the bandits. Especially calf bandit.

Runners run