Relax Boston Standards? (Read 411 times)

#artbydmcbride

Lets not sneer at anyone who runs Boston. I'm good with that.

Well, except the bandits. Especially calf bandit.

+1,000,000

Runners run

FSBD

Plus, in my observation, local club runners are actually runners.

Yeah the guy that I know that got a bib from our club had qualified several years back, however before the race actually happened he was deployed so he missed his chance to run.  He has been running marathons since then but has only come within a few minutes of the standard.  I'm glad he finally got his chance since he missed it due to service to our country.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Opening up the field entirely is not a good idea for all the reasons posted already. But as one of the 5700 runners stopped on the course in 2013 (me at about mile 25.5), I'd sure like a chance to go back in 2014. At my pace, I would have qualified for 2014. After running almost a complete marathon in April, I doubt that can get in another one at BQ pace before the middle of September. I want to earn my place, but I kind of feel like I already have. Maybe add a fourth wave for the 5700?

Mmmmm...beer

Opening up the field entirely is not a good idea for all the reasons posted already. But as one of the 5700 runners stopped on the course in 2013 (me at about mile 25.5), I'd sure like a chance to go back in 2014. At my pace, I would have qualified for 2014. After running almost a complete marathon in April, I doubt that can get in another one at BQ pace before the middle of September. I want to earn my place, but I kind of feel like I already have. Maybe add a fourth wave for the 5700?

I'd have no problem with that, and I hope the BAA agrees.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bhearn

Tell the author to get off my lawn.  That, and go try to deal with the race-day logistics in the middle of a wave, then come back and try to argue that the race should be bigger.  IMHO the people of Hopkinton are pretty dang accommodating as-is.

Yes. But I would expect that all the cities would be willing to step up to enlarge the field for one year. My bet is that's what will happen. Along with some sort of accommodation for those stopped this year.

Feeling the growl again

Yes. But I would expect that all the cities would be willing to step up to enlarge the field for one year. My bet is that's what will happen. Along with some sort of accommodation for those stopped this year.

Perhaps, I know they did it for the 100th anniversary field.  My impression from those there that year was that there was a reason it was a one-time deal...perhaps they will do it again this time.  I would expect it more as a mechanism to cope with those that did not get to finish and want to come back, than to deal with increased new applications, however.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

But why not run another? Boston is early enough on the spring marathon calendar to take a second shot on the same fitness. If you are in NJ Hasher Rick (here on RA) has a great back up plan.

Last year I was unable to requalify at Boston due to the heat so I ran another 5 weeks later just to get a qualifyer. This year I was fortunate to requalify but still I'm running another this weekend in hopes of improving my qualifyer. It may not work out but I'm going to give it a shot.

All that said, I hope the BAA addresses your group's situation soon. Whatever they say would influence what some people choose to do. ie. run another to get a BQ. For all I know they may extrapolate your time based on splits and give you a BQ. Who knows?

#artbydmcbride

I don't know.  I was thinking (hoping) that us non-finishers would get an ensured entry to 2014, especially with all the interest in the running community to run that one.  A much higher number of fast runners are planning to enter and I am sure that my requalify time is by too paltry a margin to get in this time.

But then I realize, why should I or other marginal qualifiers get in and presumably keep out faster runners who want to get in but were fast enough to finish before the bombs went off?  Confused

Boston has always been about the fastest and the best, that is why it is so prestigious, so maybe 2014 would be a huge tribute from the running community if the whole event was run by people who made their qualifying times - 20 minutes or more.   The fastest Boston field evah!

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't know.  I was thinking (hoping) that us non-finishers would get an ensured entry to 2014, especially with all the interest in the running community to run that one.  A much higher number of fast runners are planning to enter and I am sure that my requalify time is by too paltry a margin to get in this time.

But then I realize, why should I or other marginal qualifiers get in and presumably keep out faster runners who want to get in but were fast enough to finish before the bombs went off?  Confused

Boston has always been about the fastest and the best, that is why it is so prestigious, so maybe 2014 would be a huge tribute from the running community if the whole event was run by people who made their qualifying times - 20 minutes or more.   The fastest Boston field evah!

I see your point.  It would make me sad to not be accepted, but if that's how it turns out based on their current standards, so be it.

I don't see them expanding the field significantly, at a time when they're under such pressure to tighten security.

bhearn

Well suppose you would have run BQ-10, but someone in the first or second wave finished and ran BQ-5. Who should get in?

xhristopher

Ilene, I'm pack fill in my age group. You often rock yours. Despite not finishing, you are one of the best examples I can think of to get back in.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

But why not run another? Boston is early enough on the spring marathon calendar to take a second shot on the same fitness. If you are in NJ Hasher Rick (here on RA) has a great back up plan.

Last year I was unable to requalify at Boston due to the heat so I ran another 5 weeks later just to get a qualifyer. This year I was fortunate to requalify but still I'm running another this weekend in hopes of improving my qualifyer. It may not work out but I'm going to give it a shot.

All that said, I hope the BAA addresses your group's situation soon. Whatever they say would influence what some people choose to do. ie. run another to get a BQ. For all I know they may extrapolate your time based on splits and give you a BQ. Who knows?

It might be possible for me to try and BQ in a marathon in the next month, but the weather is warming up here in NJ and not ideal for fast paces. I don't really want to have to spend too much money on travel expenses in addition to registration fees to go far away for a marathon. I guess I would like to know what the BAA policy will be so I know whether to look for and train for another marathon in June or September or whether I am already in for 2014. Whatever the decision, it would help to know sooner rather than later.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It might be possible for me to try and BQ in a marathon in the next month, but the weather is warming up here in NJ and not ideal for fast paces. I don't really want to have to spend too much money on travel expenses in addition to registration fees to go far away for a marathon. I guess I would like to know what the BAA policy will be so I know whether to look for and train for another marathon in June or September or whether I am already in for 2014. Whatever the decision, it would help to know sooner rather than later.

I would assume that nothing has changed.

xhristopher

qualifyer

BTW, I can't spell worth a damn.

No more marathons

They've already relaxed the standards.  It use to take sub 2:50:59 to get in.  Now it's a measly 3:05:00.  Wimps. 

Edit:  hey, why does my dancing banana keep disappearing?  Guess I need to use the standard Big grin

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!