The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

A Saucy Wench

MTA: They give you a nice long sleeve T. Mine happened to be in the dryer when the belt broke and was subsequently melted. Now it has a huge hole in it. Such a shame.

Tech shirt in the dryer. 

Why?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xhristopher

just like all 20,000 other people that day. Roll eyes

I think it's more than that. No?

xhristopher

Tech shirt in the dryer. 

Why?

Because I'm lazy?

Julia1971

I was going to wait but now that you're telling me they sold out last year, I'll be heading over to the Adidas site when I finish this post.

As far as wearing it, I'm thinking jinx.  But, I've also started packing away my winter running gear.  So, if I don't wear it before the race, I'm not sure I'll have a chance until fall.  Hmm...  Maybe if I see someone else wearing theirs, I'll wear mine.  That's a good fashion rule.

highonrunning

question about the BAA marathon jacket, does it fit on the small side? or should i just go with a large...I usually have to get large shirts at races especially when they are technical shirts, just because they tend to run small. 

Oh roo roooo!

question about the BAA marathon jacket, does it fit on the small side? or should i just go with a large...I usually have to get large shirts at races especially when they are technical shirts, just because they tend to run small. 

If you're ordering from Running Warehouse, they have free shipping and free returns, so in your shoes I would order whatever sizes I thought MIGHT fit and return the one(s) that don't. 

spinach

The longsleeve techs are nice. That's only the past three years. Before that, it was a longsleeve thick cotton shirt.

The Boston shirt is going to be a tech shirt?  Damn, I much prefer the cotton shirts.  The last Boston one I got is one of my favorites. 

I am registered for Boston this year but I think I will probably end up skipping it.  However I have been getting many ads from Adidas trying to get me to buy a jacket. This thread has led me to a jacket etiquette questions for the experts:  If I were buy a jacket from Adidas for the race but decide not fly out to Boston to run it, would I be allowed to wear it?  I am not going to buy the jacket but it is a hypothetical question that arises.

No Talent Drips

I have admitted to myself that I'm enough of a douche to buy it and wear it.

IMHO, you are not a douche for buying and wearing an "Official Boston Marathon" jacket. Just please, please, please, don't be the feck-wad that wears it to another marathon. I do not love those pricks.

Dei Gratia

bhearn

OK, that's a new rule for me. Don't wear a shirt / jacket for a race before or during said race, that's the only rule I know.

I can't wear my Boston jacket to other races? Then it's not very useful as a jacket. I have to have a non-race-specific jacket to wear to races? (Actually I do, my marathon maniacs jacket. But still.)

A Saucy Wench

IMHO, you are not a douche for buying and wearing an "Official Boston Marathon" jacket. Just please, please, please, don't be the feck-wad that wears it to another marathon. I do not love those pricks.

I'm with bhearn.  When are you supposed to wear it then.  To the opera?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

???

Pricks?

Dude, have a popsicle.

I wear race jackets to other races all the time.  I think this is YOUR rule and you are way over-the-top about it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not so bad when compared to the 7 billion who weren't there. Or 250 million, or whatever.  It's an accomplishment that I haven't accomplished.  My hat is off to those who have earned the jacket.  If they want to wear it to church or the opera, okay.

xor

A Boston jacket tells the world that you've accomplished unique, rare, and special...

Yes, boy, that really needed an eyerolly.

Sorry folks, but the attitude seems to be that those buying a silly jacket and wearing it places are douches.  The only douchy commentary I'm seeing is from those judging folks who choose to buy a silly jacket and wear it places.

it's just running.  and it's just a jacket.  A cool one, which for me commemorates something special to me.  As it stands, that's good enough.  If that's worth a sermon on the mount, go preach to others.

Oddly, no one seems to give a shit if I wear my Honolulu or Marine Corps jackets to other places, including other races.

I tried to wear my Surf City jacket to the opera.  That was met with a 'tut tut'.

it's just running.  and it's just a jacket.  A cool one, which for me commemorates something special to me.  As it stands, that's good enough. 

Here, here. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm Betty if you're Al

I ran Boston once - It was OK - Not as much fun as expected and way too expensive.  For the cost of Boston I can fly to 2 other fun marathons.  I did not buy a jacket or spend another dime on other stuff they had to offer.

Actually I am not sure of the point of buying a Boston Jacket?  I have plenty of coats that cost 1/2 the price or less.

Is it a conversation piece?  Is it to draw attention to yourself that you ran Boston or that you are fast enough to qualify for Boston.  I do think they look pretty nice ...

DB-

I have the up-most respect for you, and can fully admit to being a brat and needing attention (I blame it on my brother for being a better jock than me growing up) that was the reason for last years purchase, but the main reason for getting the coat this year is because of the issue I had with Adidas f'inkg up the logo in 2011...does that help in become less of a douche?  

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB