The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

Kalsarikännit

My hat is off to those who have earned the jacket. 

I don't believe you have to provide proof of having "earned" the jacket in order to buy it.  Six and a half hour charity runners get to buy the jacket.  Did they earn it?  Most of the people that BQ'ed can't run a BQ at Boston.  Did they earn it?  I think Mikey posted something a while back about seeing the jacket sold in local sporting goods stores to any mope that wants one.  I'm pretty sure they didn't "earn" it.  Hell, go over to letsrun and ask them if they think half the people that qualified for the "hobbyjogger olympics" have earned it.  (Actually, don't.  They are idiots, I'm just trying to make a point).

Buy the jacket if you have a good experience, enjoy the race and like the jacket.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

No Talent Drips

???

Pricks?

Dude, have a popsicle.

I wear race jackets to other races all the time.  I think this is YOUR rule and you are way over-the-top about it.

!!!

Maybe not. Nerds?

I'm paleo. I don't eat popsicles.

If I was being over the top about MY rule, I would have said something like "I hate those people". Do not love? not ovet the top.

And there is something different about a Boston jacket...sure, wear it to the opera. Or to the strip club. Or on your third run of the day--having allowed ample time to pass after your second. I just think wearing it to another marathon is a touch gauche? self important?

You are right. It is my rule. And I'll abide. But you, you need a popsicle.

Dei Gratia

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't believe you have to provide proof of having "earned" the jacket in order to buy it.  Six and a half hour charity runners get to buy the jacket.  Did they earn it?  Most of the people that BQ'ed can't run a BQ at Boston.  Did they earn it?  I think Mikey posted something a while back about seeing the jacket sold in local sporting goods stores to any mope that wants one.  I'm pretty sure they didn't "earn" it.  Hell, go over to letsrun and ask them if they think half the people that qualified for the "hobbyjogger olympics" have earned it.  (Actually, don't.  They are idiots, I'm just trying to make a point).

Buy the jacket if you have a good experience, enjoy the race and like the jacket.  

Okay, it isn't proof of anything really, so I guess it's based on faith in the un-douchness of people, to a degree.

xor

You can buy them right now from runningwarehouse for 100 bucks (or 85 with various club discounts).  They don't check anything. You don't even have to be a runner.

It's just a coat.  Consider it a big ass ad for the race if you want.

What it means to the individual owner of said coat is up to each individual. Individually.  I have never once.... not one time in 11 years... seen someone wearing a boston jacket act extra (faux?) cool because they were sporting the jacket... or being a douche because they were sporting the jacket.  The people I know that are hoseheads are hoseheads regardless of apparel choice.

The idea seems to be that if you make the conscious choice to wear your Sweet Jacket out (to a race? to the store?) you are immediately trying to be cool or something.  And acting like King Shit. That may be.  That may not be.  In general, this is saying more about what the person who sees the coat wearer thinks than the coat wearer's actual thoughts.  Again, the guys I know who come across as King Shit do it anyway. Even without the Sweet Jacket.

It's a coat. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Again, the guys I know who come across as King Shit do it anyway. Even without the Sweet Jacket.

It's a coat. 

+1

bhearn

Oddly, no one seems to give a shit if I wear my Honolulu or Marine Corps jackets to other places, including other races.

It is true that the Boston jacket is a bit different in this regard. It can be interpreted as "look at me, I'm good enough to run Boston". Still, jackets are made to be worn. If I'm not wearing it to make a statement, what other people think about it doesn't bother me.

I wore my Boston jacket to a tiny marathon last weekend. If I'd thought about it, I would have worn my Marathon Maniacs jacket instead, because most of the participants were maniacs -- I was ill-attired for the obligatory maniac group photo. Still, even in that context, it precipitated conversations with a few other people about their Boston experiences, or trying-to-qualify experiences.

xor

I just think wearing it to another marathon is a touch gauche? self important?

There is a big difference between saying you think someone is "a touche gauche" and "feck-wad that wears it to another marathon. I do not love those pricks."

Ok, you think I'm "self important" because I chose to wear that jacket to another race.  Says more about you than it does me, I think.

I'm totally coming to maine and wearing that fucker everywhere.

bhearn

:-)

This thread has led me to a jacket etiquette questions for the experts:  If I were buy a jacket from Adidas for the race but decide not fly out to Boston to run it, would I be allowed to wear it?  I am not going to buy the jacket but it is a hypothetical question that arises.

If I were to convene a panel of running etiquette experts, our reply would be that we do not entertain hypothetical questions.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Kalsarikännit

If I were to convene a panel of running etiquette experts, our reply would be that we do not entertain hypothetical questions.

Hypothetically, if a RA'er has an avatar that gives me the heebie-jeebies every time I see it, do I tell him or keep it bottled up?   Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Really? Even after the hookers leave?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No Talent Drips

There is a big difference between saying you think someone is "a touche gauche" and "feck-wad that wears it to another marathon. I do not love those pricks."

Ok, you think I'm "self important" because I chose to wear that jacket to another race.  Says more about you than it does me, I think.

Holy smokes, I make one flip comment and I've fucked the 2012 Maine toursist season.

And, I'll concede that it says at least as much about me...and my superior taste.

Dei Gratia

xor

I am officially blocking this hat trick by asking whether I am allowed to buy a Boston Marathon hat without being a douche.

Do they even make a hat?

How about pants.

bhearn

You name it, they make it.

DoppleBock

I did not mean to sound like a prick - I really do not understand ~ I find myself not buying one or if I had bought one - I owuld not wear it out in public because I would not want to draw attention to myself.  I have worn the team USA gear 4-5 times in the last 2 years, well 6-7 if you count the race weekend where we had to wear it.

It has nothing to do with think lowly of Boston - I guess I am a loser - Because I ran Boston - I did enjoy it, but I was not overwhelmed with a feeling that it was special ... lots of history and it was cool sightseeing the day before after the Women's Olympic Trials.

Now this is not going to sound right either - But since 20,000 people run it a year - Plus I we all know the Qualifying standards - When I see a person wearing a Boston Jacket - I usually have a little chuckle.  I think of the Q standard as the the 1st 3rd of the mid-pack most of us occupy.  Kindof like an above average - of the average runners.  I consider myself squarely part of this mid-pack but toward the top 25% of the mid-pack group.

I can the reasons stated and that it could be be special for a person individually -  Maybe I wish it had been special for me.

I do not mean to offend -

DB-

I have the up-most respect for you, and can fully admit to being a brat and needing attention (I blame it on my brother for being a better jock than me growing up) that was the reason for last years purchase, but the main reason for getting the coat this year is because of the issue I had with Adidas f'inkg up the logo in 2011...does that help in become less of a douche?  

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !