The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

I don't believe you have to provide proof of having "earned" the jacket in order to buy it.  Six and a half hour charity runners get to buy the jacket.  Did they earn it?  Most of the people that BQ'ed can't run a BQ at Boston.  Did they earn it?  I think Mikey posted something a while back about seeing the jacket sold in local sporting goods stores to any mope that wants one.  I'm pretty sure they didn't "earn" it.  Hell, go over to letsrun and ask them if they think half the people that qualified for the "hobbyjogger olympics" have earned it.  (Actually, don't.  They are idiots, I'm just trying to make a point).

Buy the jacket if you have a good experience, enjoy the race and like the jacket.  

I bought the jacket, ran it, and qualified again  I wore the jacket once to some local sprint tri.  Felt like a reality show camera hog and haven't worn it since.  I don't buy any of the marathon or IM gear now, it just seems to scream "LOOK AT ME I"M FREAKIN' AWESOME!" 

And I don't call anyone a prick, but I do snicker at the guys sporting the Boston jacket, Western States tech shirt, Mdot hat, and ToughMudder water bottle to bib pickup for the annual stoller brigade AKA turkey trot. 

If you want one, buy it and wear it proudly.  Qualifying for and opening the wallet to run Boston is an achievement. 

Kalsarikännit

With all this in mind, when someone has clothes that go waaaay back, I am suitably impressed.  I don't know when Boston first started putting out jackets, but a really old would one be cool.  Someone here showed a pic of a NYC marathon shirt they had from the olden days.  It was sweet.  How they kept it looking nice all these years was beyond me.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I live near a clothing discount store (Ross). I call in there quite frequently to snap up any decent running gear cheap (they have Asics, Adidas and New Balance gear quite regularly).

Just before Christmas they had a whole bunch of this year's Boston Marathon jackets (yes, genuine ones, not cheap knock-offs). I think I even posted here about it.

What I found odd was that those things flew off the shelf (and in some very large sizes too - I wonder who over-ordered so many XXL jackets for the Boston marathon). They were all gone within a week.

Ross : All the jacket, half the price, none of the running.

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
        henryc

On the drive home from work today, there was a guy driving a moped in the middle of Hopkinton. He was wearing a Boston jacket. Does the jacket or the moped make this guy a tool?

No Talent Drips

Does the jacket or the moped make this guy a tool?

The moped. This is an acceptable place to wear a Boston Marathon jacket. Especially if he was headed to the Hopkington Opera House.

Dei Gratia

bhearn

Especially if he was headed to the Hopkington Opera House.

Oops... Boston knowledge fail! See, when you wear your Boston jacket more, this kind of knowledge seeps in by osmosis.

It's just a jacket. You want one? Buy one. You want to wear it before, during or after the Boston Marathon? Knock yourself out.

Runners run

I live near a clothing discount store (Ross). I call in there quite frequently to snap up any decent running gear cheap (they have Asics, Adidas and New Balance gear quite regularly).

Just before Christmas they had a whole bunch of this year's Boston Marathon jackets (yes, genuine ones, not cheap knock-offs). I think I even posted here about it.

What I found odd was that those things flew off the shelf (and in some very large sizes too - I wonder who over-ordered so many XXL jackets for the Boston marathon). They were all gone within a week.

Ross : All the jacket, half the price, none of the running.

This is an outstanding anecdote. Pretty sure it will be my mental podcast during today's run. So many possibilities for each of those jackets.

ultramarathon/triathlete

On my way to work this morning I saw an EXTREMELY obese homeless man sporting a Boston Marathon shirt from a few years ago.  

He also had a sweet fanny pack and a cane.  I bet he had GUs in the pack and the cane was because, well, everyone knows running will ruin your knees.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Yeah. Making fun of homeless people.. not cool.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

xhristopher

Years ago my org used to give out good quality custom printed long sleeve t-shirts at events. The extras piled up and piled up since our director didn't want to donate them and see them on just anyone. Well, very soon after he retired we packed them all up and gave them to Goodwill. There were hundreds. It was a happy day. I hope they are keeping someone warm somewhere.

Speaking of, I've got a lot of ugly unworn t-shirts from races that are about to be donated.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Making fun of anyone is probably not cool.  Just because he was homeless does not give him a pass.  
                          I generally make fun of everyone and expect the same in return.  

eta: still I'm not trying to come off completely cold hearted.  The gu /knees were more making fun of running in general.  I added that he was homeless/obese to further point out no requirement to wear these thing. 

I will, however, make fun of anyone with a fanny pack. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

ok it didn't cross my mind that I'd jinx myself by buying a jacket early, although my plan was to wait and see what was available in case up close they didn't look that great, or there were other colors/styles available. 

In general, as long as you're not wearing a 'finisher' shirt if you didn't finish, I don't see a big deal. 

I've seen my husband sporting my running tech shirts before, from those events that think a mens size small fits women.

ymmv

ok it didn't cross my mind that I'd jinx myself by buying a jacket early, although my plan was to wait and see what was available in case up close they didn't look that great, or there were other colors/styles available. 

In general, as long as you're not wearing a 'finisher' shirt if you didn't finish, I don't see a big deal. 

I've seen my husband sporting my running tech shirts before, from those events that think a mens size small fits women.

I think spouses earn those shirts even more than their runners do.

wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

I think spouses earn those shirts even more than their runners do.

The crud my husband puts up with is ridiculous!  I'm so sorry Dreamless.