Overwhelmed by dieting info (Read 344 times)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Just putting this out there...I've lost weight but haven't stopped drinking beer.  It's not a prerequisite.  But then again, I don't eat ice cream.

Of course calories in vs calories out is correct for weight loss. But the way you take those calories will make a big difference to how successful you are because it's substantially about managing how hungry you feel. If hunger didn't come into it nobody would have any difficulty losing weight.

Different foods have very different effects on how hungry you feel for the same number of calories.

And, of course, there are certain nutrients that you need to consume in order to remain healthy (although if you eat a reasonably sensible diet you shouldn't need to really worry about that).

chaquita73

Of course calories in vs calories out is correct for weight loss. But the way you take those calories will make a big difference to how successful you are because it's substantially about managing how hungry you feel. If hunger didn't come into it nobody would have any difficulty losing weight.

Different foods have very different effects on how hungry you feel for the same number of calories.

And, of course, there are certain nutrients that you need to consume in order to remain healthy (although if you eat a reasonably sensible diet you shouldn't need to really worry about that).

+1

Julia1971

It certainly isn't and I hope my comment didn't imply you can't lose weight and drink alcohol.  I was just recounting what I experienced when I gave it up.  Although, I think I've read that there are studies that suggest alcohol inhibits fat burning for something like 8 hours after it's consumed.  But, I think Dtothe2nd pretty much covered it - for most people, they just need to count their calories.  It's a pain in the neck to do so but people need to start with that.

Just putting this out there...I've lost weight but haven't stopped drinking beer.  It's not a prerequisite.  But then again, I don't eat ice cream.

Dream Maker

If you want a book, have you seen Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight book?  It's great

Clean eating also is just as good for runners as nonrunners

Mmmmm...beer

Absolutely, a big key to my weight loss was to find foods that I liked that were low in calories by volume, so I could eat enough to be full, or at least not feel like I was starving.  Strawberries and apples worked really well for me (and still do).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

flatland mountaineer

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

MrNamtor

Your basic diet - grilled chicken, steamed tofu, raw or steamed green veggies, nuts, non fat milk, water.

Don't eat  - fried food, breaded food, cheesy dishes, baked goods like bagels or croissants, ice cream, cakes pies cookies tarts etc, potatoes or pasta.

So basically eat the first category of foods and don't eat the second except so rarely that when you do eat those things you can't remember the last time you did.

By eating like this i have dropped 30 lbs and kept them off for going on 2 years.

MrNamtor

Lean BEEF.....among other foods. http://beefmagazine.com/marketingproduct-promotion/beef-fuels-runner-52-marathons-52-weeks?page=1

Beef is not good for you. It just isn't. And anyone who eats beef on a regular basis will immediately lose 5-10 lbs if they cut it from their diet.

Not saying you should never eat it, but as a dietary staple, no.This article is (obviously) sponsored by the beef industry.

Regular ass person

Beef is not good for you. It just isn't. And anyone who eats beef on a regular basis will immediately lose 5-10 lbs if they cut it from their diet.

Not saying you should never eat it, but as a dietary staple, no.This article is (obviously) sponsored by the beef industry.

Yes.

A few years ago, I lost 110 lbs by counting calories and getting off my ass.

I've recently dropped the remaining 15 by switching to a mostly plant-based diet. I feel 1,000,000 times better the less meat I have in my diet.

However, I have found some challenges properly fueling for ultras on a plant-based diet. Still working that issue out. Some of the best athletes I know are 100% vegan though, so I have no doubt it can be done.

muppy

Yes.

This.

Eat Food. not too much. Mostly plants.

Oh, and avoid ibuprofen.

Hey Trent, why do you suggest no ibuprofen? Thanks

golddaveberg

Quote from Trent on 4/17/2013 at 11:13 AM:

Yes.

This.

Eat Food. not too much. Mostly plants.

Oh, and avoid ibuprofen.

Hey Trent, why do you suggest no ibuprofen? Thanks

Same question from me, why no advil?

Prince of Fatness

Same question from me, why no advil?

Trent must be busy.  He's usually on this stuff.

Click

Not at it at all. 

golddaveberg

I ordered a copy of Racing Weight.  Looks like a good read.  I also plan on "Eatting less (mostly plants), moving more."

I came across an article that sort of argues against calories ate v. carlories burned for weightloss.  It makes sense to me that there's a difference between a calorie eatten and a calorie actually absorbed.

I'm not at all looking for the "perfect mix" of nutrients, just some small improvements that hopefully add up to better performance.

Thanks all for the help!

You_vs_cant

First of all:applause that you are getting started on controlling the weight gain now and not 50lbs heavier as I did.  Long hours at work, drinking lots of beer, eating crap and only exercising with the TV remote all helped in my weight gain.  Now at 44 I'm holding fast.  I gained a few pounds over this winter due to a calf injury.  Here's how I keep in check and/or loose weight:  I basically started out with the "south beach" idea and then went into the "body for life" idea. The "body for life" and "south beach" books really opened my eyes as to how the body processes food and why things happen the way they do.  After I got to where I wanted I now eat mostly meat, vegetables, and a small amount of good carbs.  I then try to do at least 30 minutes of some type of exercise 6 times a week.  I give myself 1 day a week to do whatever I want and eat whatever I want.  I eat 3 main meals a day and have 2 decent snacks in between.  The snacks are usually a piece of fruit and some nuts, or, a cheese stick and some raw veggies, or some type of combination.  I have to avoid the "starving" sensation in between meals so that I don't make poor decisions and eat junk.  I'm a candy/cake/cookie junkie.  For my meals I eat some type of meat and vegetable and sometimes, but not always, a good carb. (Whole grain rice, pasta, or fruit).   I hope that helps.  It is very tough with this lifestyle we live in now.  It is easy to say, "eat less, exercise more", but I need food.  I just try to fill myself with good food.