Achilles Tendonitis (Read 111 times)

Anyone have any experience with this? I ran 3 miles a month ago and felt fine, nek day. I had a pinching an burning sensation in the back of my heel, this lasted for about 2 weeks then "went away". I went for a hike the other day 4.5 miles, and the pinching returned about 2 miles into the hike, later that day my Achilles area was slightly swollen, pain wasn't as bad as before. Now, almost a week later, I can feel a slight twinge in my Achilles tendon if I walk briskly. I'm assuming this is just something that will a few months to get better. I didn't notice any swelling initially, only after a hike last week. Thanks in advance for any input, and advice.

DoppleBock

To help heal and to strengthen to avoid future issues - "Eccentric Calf Raises" ... Google it

To treat current inflammation

*  Ibuprofen every 8 hours

*  Ice / Heat from 2 5-Gallon buckets

1)  One bucket with water as hot as your can stand it (2/3 full) - You will have to reheat some of the water between reps to keep hot

2)  One bucket with water and ice ... there should be cubes floating the whole time

3)  Start with foot in the cold bucket for 5 minutes - The switch to the hot bucket for 5 minutes

4)  Repeat 3-6 times (I usually stood and read newspaper or on computer)

5)  Do this Once or twice a day

Why the cold and hot buckets - The achilles tendon has very little blood flow.  The cold forces the blood out of the area, the hot draws new blood in.  The exchange of blood (New blood in the area) will help it heal faster.

Also remember that the achilles, calf, hamstring ... all that stuff is connected.  So if you are continually having issues with one part ... it means you could have a muscle imbalance.  If you calves are being dominated ... they have to get relief by stressing another area.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Thank You.

DoppleBock

Others may have better ideas - But what I posted is my "go to"

The Eccentric calf raises do not take long and they should become an everyday thing ... Although I have been lazy lately.

MarathoninginMT

I am a big believer in the "contrast" baths as described by DoppleBock.  I ice the area for about 15 minutes, then put my foot in the hot water for a bit, then finish by putting the foot in ice water.  I also use some compression socks that are designed specifically for plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonosis/tendonitis.   The key is to bring blood flow into that area to help it heal.  Achilles issues tend to take much longer than other types of injury to heal.   Tightness in the calf muscles is usually a main culprit so massaging the area and releasing the trigger points in the calf muscles helps.  Be mindful to always warm up the area before running or exercising.

Daydreamer1

*  Ice / Heat from 2 5-Gallon buckets

1)  One bucket with water as hot as your can stand it (2/3 full) - You will have to reheat some of the water between reps to keep hot

2)  One bucket with water and ice ... there should be cubes floating the whole time

3)  Start with foot in the cold bucket for 5 minutes - The switch to the hot bucket for 5 minutes

4)  Repeat 3-6 times (I usually stood and read newspaper or on computer)

5)  Do this Once or twice a day

Why the cold and hot buckets - The achilles tendon has very little blood flow.  The cold forces the blood out of the area, the hot draws new blood in.  The exchange of blood (New blood in the area) will help it heal faster.

After having numerous ankle injuries over the years, reading about treatments and then studying the healing process in several biology classes, I've come to the conclusion that the I in RICE is the stupidest thing we do to our bodies. I heal much faster with heat.

Now, that being said, I've read some about the contrast baths and find that intriguing. The next time I bust up a ankle, and it will happen as loose as mine are, I'm going to be trying the Ice/heat regimen. After studying the science behind it I can see that it makes sense and may work.

SMART Approach

I second all of the above and will add,

* Don't overstretch when achilles is sore

* Don't rush back-you do not want a chronic issue which will turn into tendonosis and chronic pain.

* Before activity like strength work, mild stretching and running, warm up the area. Hot water, range of motion and some walking if the plan is to run. I also use the attached when I have aches or want to treat or warm up an area before activity

http://www.mendmeshopinsider.com/bfst-wraps.php

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I tried the cold/heat method this morning, didn't really notice anything different. I can feel "something" in the back of my heel.  I'll continue this with calf excersizes and shit for awhile and see what happens. I know I can't run, so I'm not even going to try. It's only been around month since I initially did this, and a week after a pretty good hike.  I think it will just take a little time to get better is all. So, thank you to everyone that has responded with advice and previous experience. MFN

DoppleBock

The cold heat will only bring new blood into the area to promote healing ... the healing will take some time ... you will not notice any immediate relief after that treatment.

I tried the cold/heat method this morning, didn't really notice anything different. I can feel "something" in the back of my heel.  I'll continue this with calf excersizes and shit for awhile and see what happens. I know I can't run, so I'm not even going to try. It's only been around month since I initially did this, and a week after a pretty good hike.  I think it will just take a little time to get better is all. So, thank you to everyone that has responded with advice and previous experience. MFN

Rolling my calves with the wooden rolling pin or with the foam roller works for me when I feel the Achilles tendon start to act up.

MarathoninginMT

One of the hallmark symptoms of achilles tendonitis is soreness/pain first thing in the morning and after periods of inactivity.  In the early stages of tendonitis, usually the area feels better after movement/light stretching and the pain goes away with activity.  (If you keep running on it without treating it, it gets worse and the pain doesn't go away even after warming up the area).  If that doesn't describe your symptoms, you may have something else going on and it might be worth consulting with a PT.  We have PT offices here where I live where you can get a free 15 minute consult or our local running store will bring in a PT once a month for free consults.  Something to think about.

DoppleBock

It always has taken 4-6 weeks to be noticeable better.  But I have never missed a day of running while I treat the issue.  There are times I would have tears running down my face from pain, but no days missed.  I have not had an issue in a long time.

The cold heat will only bring new blood into the area to promote healing ... the healing will take some time ... you will not notice any immediate relief after that treatment.

HOLY SHIT, DoppleBock^^^^I'm not going to run right now, might wait a few weeks, don't wanna take any chances on effing it up more. Janicka, thanks for advice, imma try that later too. Cathy, what you describe is pretty much right on the $$$$, imma skip the PT though and do it myself.

Daydreamer1

It always has taken 4-6 weeks to be noticeable better.  But I have never missed a day of running while I treat the issue.  There are times I would have tears running down my face from pain, but no days missed.  I have not had an issue in a long time.

I have problems with tendonitis for some reason. I've had it in just about every major joint in my body at some point over the past 52 years. Never had that much pain that I was crying when running/biking/lifting/hiking but I often deal with a good deal of discomfort.   I've had to alter my stride significantly already to be able to run until I was warmed up but I never miss exercising because of it.  If I did I'd never do anything.  I'd always be starting over and getting injured again so I just work through it and then when it get better I still have my fitness.

jmsab23

Daydreamer.... I had Achilles tendonitis in my right heel for several years. Exact symptoms Cathy S. described, but not those like manfromnantucket described - no noticeable swelling, and pain went away as movement began. Was worse when getting up in the morning or after sitting for any length of time. I never really stopped running or working out - doing about 20-25 miles/week, and kept racing 5Ks to HMs.

I tried PT - they did the ultrasound roller and showed me some stretches. Not much help. Stretches were the best I got out of that $800/ six weeks.   I tried compression socks, helped some. I used K Tape for a while, but didn't notice much. I bought a Strassburg sock (about $45), and used it nearly every night while sleeping, for about two months. Pain began going away. After another month or so I was running/walking pain free. I'm not sure what helped the most, but I have a feeling it was the Strassburg sock and compression socks. All this recovery took about 5 or 6 months, from PT to pain free. I ran my very first marathon last fall and never felt any pain in my heel.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25