Favorite Marathon Workout? (Read 961 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Those guys are all pretty damn impressive.

I was trying out doubles over the Summer.  And I was glad when I got the Pfitz book and read the above to help justify a return to singles.  The general problem I had with doubles is oddly one of time-management.  I say oddly, since doubles is often a solution to time mgmt issues.  The problem stemmed from prep time and post workout time involved in a workout.  Basically, it's doubled.  It adds an extra 20-30mins a day to time invested in running -- not counting an extra shower, which may or may not be needed depending on time-of-day of the single.

Then again, I'm just not a morning person: the doubles would have me groggy most of the day.  And I always felt like I was sleeping, running, working, running or eating.  Singles @ 70mpw was bad enough*.

* in respect to my relationship with my wife, mostly.  Otherwise, it sounds ideal.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

joescott

The general problem I had with doubles is oddly one of time-management.  I say oddly, since doubles is often a solution to time mgmt issues.

Yes.  I would love to regularly run doubles, but for me it is pretty impractical with my work and family life.  The only time in the day I can count on is at 5 AM.  Once and a while I can sneak in a double over my lunch at work, but this is generally the exception.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

kcam

Good thread.    In my past 6 training weeks the number of doubles I've run are 2, 3, 4, 4, 2 and, so far, 1 this week.  So I'm a pretty regular user of the double and my mileage is in the 55 to 80 mpw range.  I use my 2nd run of the day as a very easy jog primarily for weight control but I firmly believe that even jogging a few extra miles is additive to my fitness.  I understand the time management issues as I raised a family as a marathon runner, too.  I'm at a stage now where I have plenty of time to run and an understanding and supportive wife.  Do what you can do but understand that more running is almost always better than less running .... 

Feeling the growl again

Yes.  I would love to regularly run doubles, but for me it is pretty impractical with my work and family life.  The only time in the day I can count on is at 5 AM.  Once and a while I can sneak in a double over my lunch at work, but this is generally the exception.

This sounds too familiar.  Exactly why I'm moving in that direction.  Not that I don't occasionally get a good work in, but if I wait to try until I get home there will be a lot of goose eggs in my log.  Even with a treadmill.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Which pretty much summarizes my view of doubles: They're just part of our effort to run when we can.  I have no clue when I started running doubles, but I am nearly positive it did not come at a point when my fitness or weekly mileage had reached some benchmark. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

lagwagon

Any of you two-timers (aka doubles runners) feel that increased mileage comes with less impact by adding a couple of easy-paced doubles?  I'm kinda new to this masters running thing, but am hesitant to give up my rest day for fear something will break.

I wrestle with the best way to increase mileage over the winter from 50mpw to ~70mpw without giving up my one day off (thinking about a spring marathon to BQ).  I do have access to a treadmill at lunch, and could probably fit in 30-40 min run 2-3x per week (in addition to my morning run). 

Alternative would be running on the seventh day, or taking my 60 & 80 min runs up to 70 & 110.  Problem with the latter is I'll be falling asleep before 9pm, leaving my wife as a marathon widow (her term).

Any of you two-timers (aka doubles runners) feel that increased mileage comes with less impact by adding a couple of easy-paced doubles?  I'm kinda new to this masters running thing, but am hesitant to give up my rest day for fear something will break.

I wrestle with the best way to increase mileage over the winter from 50mpw to ~70mpw without giving up my one day off (thinking about a spring marathon to BQ).  I do have access to a treadmill at lunch, and could probably fit in 30-40 min run 2-3x per week (in addition to my morning run). 

Alternative would be running on the seventh day, or taking my 60 & 80 min runs up to 70 & 110.  Problem with the latter is I'll be falling asleep before 9pm, leaving my wife as a marathon widow (her term).

Hey, I am about a 50 mpw guy, but have put in some in the 60s and 70s during this cycle. 

I also don't normally run on Sundays for personal/family reasons. From a training perspective, though, I have found that an easy 4ish miles really helps with recovery and continuity of training from week to week.  I will squeeze in a few on the occasional Sunday.  At the same time, a full day of rest also has its benefits. I'd say, then, you can't go wrong with at least trying.  

Also, happy wife, happy life, happy runner, fast runner.  Seems like she isn't liking the night running, so I would leave it as your last option.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

lagwagon, I've been following a 7 day a week running regimen for at least the last 3 years (doesn't always work out and a full rest day or even rest weeks occurs sometimes) and even as a 51 year old runner with about 20 years of running experience 7 days a week feels better to me than 6 days or 5 days used to.  These days I get in about 8-10 runs a week spread out over the 7 days.  As I said before I'm not a super high mileage runner but I recover very nicely with an easy evening 3-5 mile jog on a grass loop.  It just feels right to me.  Try some combinations of 6/7 day a week running and/or a double once a while as you can fit them in.  Just see how it goes.

Feeling the growl again

Hey, I am about a 50 mpw guy, but have put in some in the 60s and 70s during this cycle. 

I also don't normally run on Sundays for personal/family reasons. From a training perspective, though, I have found that an easy 4ish miles really helps with recovery and continuity of training from week to week.  I will squeeze in a few on the occasional Sunday.  At the same time, a full day of rest also has its benefits. I'd say, then, you can't go wrong with at least trying.  

Also, happy wife, happy life, happy runner, fast runner.  Seems like she isn't liking the night running, so I would leave it as your last option.

When my normal runs are in the 8-10 mile range, I think morning 4 mile recovery runs...ie slow...do help recover faster.  When my normal runs get to be 10-12 miles then 6 mile runs in therecovery help recovery.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

juniordo1

I'm a fan of the 60-90 minute easy run. Lots and lots of them.

+1 on lots and lots of 60-90minute easy runs

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

Was it all a dream?

I always felt like I was sleeping, running, working, running or eating.  

Is there more to life?  Smile

xor

You mean besides the whole seeing your enemies being driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women, I suppose.

There's also the Baby Mama version of the secret to a good life.  But I shant print that here.

Curley's secret was his finger.

Feeling the growl again

Funny how I can be on the road working 14 hour days and still running more than when I am at home....  Big grin

lagwagon

Try some combinations of 6/7 day a week running and/or a double once a while as you can fit them in.  Just see how it goes.

Thanks...I know its to each his/her own, and that the only way I'll know is by trying.  I think after my next race I'll ease up and just build easy miles for a month or two.   Will try adding day 7 and a double or two and see which feels better (both?).

As far as the night running, I think one or two a week is not a big problem.  My issue was for the one marathon I did (relatively early in my marriage) I developed a habit of falling asleep early Saturday evening (eg. at a friends house after one beer) which was understandably irritating.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Drinking?