Three week away (Read 104 times)

Sheltonpainter

So my first full marathon is three weeks away and I am not feeling great about it! Last Thursday I started feeling horrible! Dr said I have bronchitis! I really need to kick this in the butt fast!!  I'm super bummed right now! cough is getting better but I'm extremely weak! Ieveryone says rest is the best thing! But the more I sit around and do nothing the worse I feel! Please help...advice?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Don't panic!  Three weeks is enough time that you may be feeling fine for the marathon.  The bronchitis may cause you to start your taper a bit early, and perhaps deviate from your training schedule, but it's not the end of the world if you miss a long run.  Play it by feel, take a short, easy run when you feel ready and see how that goes.  If okay, then you can start easing back into your training plan.

I ran my first marathon while recovering from bronchitis.  It wasn't ideal, but wasn't too bad.

The money's in the barn, the hay's in the bank, blah blah.  I bet you'll do fine.  Good luck!

A Saucy Wench

Training is over at this point anyway.  REST recover.  Give it a few more days and then just start doing short walks to see how your cough goes and more importantly how your energy is.  If it is anything like what is out here the cough will linger, but I could resume activity after about 10 days without needing a major nap after.  keep it easy and short, just enough to keep the muscles loose.

Look at it this way, taper madness you were going to feel like crap anyway.  Probably develop some phantom injuries, everything feels wrong during taper.  Remember the point of taper is recovery and sharpen.  Don't push the workouts through the illness too hard.  I've had illnesses were 1 mile felt like 20.  Respect how you feel.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7