Swollen ankles (Read 6176 times)

I noticed yesterday in the shower that my ankles were abnormally swollen... They don't hurt or anything but they do look quite badly. I went to a running shop today and the (lovely) sales assistant was a bit surprised when she saw them and recommended me to see a podiatrist; however, five minutes afterwards the shop manager said it was not *that* bad, and that I didn't need to see a doctor if it didn't hurt (which it doesn't at all) I'm relatively new to running, so I wonder if this is normal... Should I do anything? Will they be back to normal soon? Can I do anything about it (i.e. ibuprofen, ice, etc) or should I just forget about it and keep running?
    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41
      Hi Roark You are just north of the river from me Big grin A few weeks ago I undertook a very wet, very muddy and very hilly cross country 10 mile run and on my return home I found my ankles were a little swollen. I realised that they were bruised, simple as that. I had up some pretty serious hills and terrain Black eye There are various reasons that joints can swell up, bruising (as above) , over training and even dehydration can cause problems. It has been very humid in London over the past week and this maybe a contributary factor. You don't state how old you are but looking at your profile image, you don't look "past it" Wink but in over 40's infammation of joints can be a problem. I would stick on the safe side, rest up for a couple of days, take some ibuprofen and enjoy the weekend. I know it will probably infuriate you as running is for the weekend but it has worried you enough to ask around.

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

SMART Approach

Roark, Can you press on your ankles and the indent is slow to fill in? This would then be edema. Do a Google on it? Ibuprofen could add to this. If not, you have inflammation that needs to be addressed. Ibuprofen would help.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ahhh, but ibuprofen can also cause edema. And small amounts of ankle edema are normal among runners.
            Spot on, Tchuck! I've pressed it many times, and the indent takes a while to fill in indeed! I've never heard the term "edema" before, at least now I know where to start searching! (Oh, and I hope you enjoy the air show this weekend, Jerry! : ) )

Just Be

And small amounts of ankle edema are normal among runners.
              What's a small amount? Enough to cause 2mm of pitting after 10 seconds of moderate pressure from the pointer finger pad? I just noticed over the past few weeks that I have this issue, at first I figured it was because of the heat but the more I notice it, the more it worries me. My ankles aren't usually swollen at all in the AM hours indicating mild edema, but honestly I haven't tried yet to monitor it throughout the day - I should do that starting tomorrow. I've noticed that after long periods of sitting that they tend to swell up. My environments are all pretty much warm - 80 degrees or more during the day, so I'm not sure if my ankles woulnd't swell if I sat in 65 to 75 degrees for the same amount of time. As far as I know, my BP is normal and I'm not dehydrated or consuming too much sodium. Since I'm kinda starting to worry about it I guess on Mon I'll go to my doc and ask for his opinion and a urinalysis / BUN / CMP to make myself feel better. Tongue
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2 mm can be normal. There are numerous factors that contribute: 1. the pounding on the road weakens the microvasculature and causes fluid to leak into the tissue. 2. The lymphatic valves that help carry fluid from your legs are weaker than the increased forces from the pounding. 3. The fluxes in fluid and electrolytes cause your body to shift water into the soft tissues to try and prevent dehydration. It is always okay to have your electrolytes, heart and urine checked in this setting, but do understand that it is very very common, especially in the Summer.

Just Be

Trent, thanks for the reply! Smile
                    It seems that the swelling was not just heat-induced... Two days after my last post, I couldn't even walk to work and had to see my GP. She asked me to make a couple of X-rays and blood and urine tests, and everything seemed to be alright (the radiologist said she thought it could be a stress fracture, but she couldn't see any, it was alright for her). One week after, the swelling was still impressive (trust me, at nights it's scary), so she referred me to a prestigious private consultant orthopedic surgeon. Too bad, he is on holidays until 2nd of September, and I am on holidays until the 9th of September, so no running for me during, at least, 2-3 months... SUCKS!!! However, I think it may still be some kind of stress fracture: at the beginning, my two ankles were swollen, but only the left one hurted. Now, the right one is alright (no swelling), but the left is still TERRIBLY swollen, and it still hurts a bit... Can so much edema be due to a stress-fracture?
                      My brother and I just returned from a 70 mile 5 day hike, and dang, you should have seen his ankles at the end of it! They were so swollen, and he was having some issues the last couple days walking. But after we got home, he just kept off his feet for a few days and now is fine. Maybe you just need to take it easy for a bit till your ankles get acclimated to the mileage you're doing.