How to stretch: front-outside shin muscle? (Read 3053 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Last night this muscle protested on my easy run and called an all-halt.  I painfully walked 3mi home.  It's very stiff and I'm trying to figure out how to stretch it to help recover.  Today it feels fine (rest + ice + elevation), but the other leg has an identical issue forming.  At first I thought this was "shin-splints" because I've never had them, but the pain is not interior and not behind the shin-bone.

The muscle is either the tibialis anterior muscle or (more likely by feel) the extensor digitorum longus muscle.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/121602/Anterior-view-of-the-muscles-of-the-human-leg

When the ankle/foot is extended it loosens.  When I retract the foot (to less than 90 degrees from the leg) this muscle hurts.  However, manually putting the foot in that position feels best.  If the foot is left idle (such as when elevated by pillows) it is slightly sore.

I'm at a loss at what to do about it.  Should I foam roll it to death?  Is there a good stretch for it?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

It's very hard to stretch the anterior tib muscle, but here are a few things that worked for me.  I experience this occasionally, the muscle is above the shin, if you have shin splints you know the difference, and when the condition is prolonged I experience anterior tibial tendonitis where the tendon is visibly inflamed.

1) Use a roller to gently roll out the muscle.  Do not go to hard or you will make it worse.

2) Pull your toes towards your heel.  You can do this by sitting on your feet, toes extended behind you with your knees in front. 

3) Work the muscle gently by doing toe taps.  (Sit in a chair, keep heel on the ground and tap toes 20-30 times, repeat).

Sam79

Running the bath

I find it helpful to do the following stretch:

• Lie on your back with your leg extended, the other bent on the floor.  Have your foot supported by a stretchy band (or a towel) held in your hands.
        • Turn your foot so that the sole faces across your body, and continuing to support it with the band, gently bring the leg across the body.
        • You should feel a stretch on the outside of your ankle, up into the calf muscle

Hope it helps

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

flatfooter: yep, I think you nailed it.  I did the supplication/prayer stretch you mentioned and could feel it working the right spot.

I've been beating the area with the roller -- so i guess I aggravated it.

Sam, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll give them a try too.

Self massage it, too, man.  

Get some emu oil* and rub it on the front of that shin.  Put your two thumbs together at the top of the muscle (near the knee) and just massage your way down. Also, you may be feeling the discomfort it in the front, but the calf is likely part of the story.  Massage that, too.  

If you work at a desk, do not do this while looking at your computer monitor. Rumors will circulate.  

_________

*I keep raving about this stuff, but credit goes to ThunderV2 for pointing it out to me.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Self massage it, too, man.  

Get some emu oil* and rub it on the front of that shin.  Put your two thumbs together at the top of the muscle (near the knee) and just massage your way down. Also, you may be feeling the discomfort it in the front, but the calf is likely part of the story.  Massage that, too.  

If you work at a desk, do not do this while looking at your computer monitor. Rumors will circulate.  

_________

*I keep raving about this stuff, but credit goes to ThunderV2 for pointing it out to me.  

Instead of using my thumbs, I use a Knobble. It works great and I can do it with just one hand. That leaves the other hand for the TV remote. ;-)

Instead of using my thumbs, I use a Knobble. It works great and I can do it with just one hand. That leaves the other hand for the TV remote. ;-)

I think Boiler Tom has one of those, too.  

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You guys have been extremely helpful.  I've been doing the prayer stretch and the toe tapping (to lightly exercise).

Nader, the link to CVS for the Emu was incredibly helpful, since I knew exactly where to find it.  I bought the last one on the shelf.  I've been massaging the area with it for the last two days.  To be honest, I'm not sure what the Emu does.  The massaging sure helps.  And the Emu helps as a lubricant to massaging.  But there doesn't seem to be any other sensation involved.  The only claim on the container is that it "soothes" and is "deep penetrating".  *shrug*.  It includes MSM and Glucosamine, which are usually found in dietary supplements for Joint welfare.  Not sure what that means for a topical application.

The hint to massage the calf really paid off.  I could feel its affects on the target muscle.

I've also order the Knob thing -- because my hands were getting tired with all this massaging.

[As this is the culmination of a 6mo effort, I'm taking no chances.]

After two days of rest and the above treatments, I ran today without issue.

Now, if my hip-flexor would stop complaining I'd be whole again.

Thanks again, guys.

Woohoo!

Hey stadjak,some guy at the gym this morning was raving about Arnica, sold under the brand name Arnicare.  He has a bum shoulder and swears by it for muscle stuff. Just a thought, as you recover from the marathon. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thanks Nader.  Mrs. Stadjak treated me to post race professional athletic massage.  I was talking to the Massage Therapist (MT) about Blue Emu.  She'd never heard of it.  She asked what it did.  I told her it was rather odd, the packaging doesn't making any claims but "deep penetration".  And I don't receive any noticeable sensation from the stuff.  But it is a nice massage lubricant and doesn't smell much.

I told her it was my favorite snake-oil.

Regarding the OP: I didn't have a problem after we solved it with the Blue Emu / calf massages.  Every once in a while I feel it tighten just a little, but it hasn't bothered me.

Good to know that. 

tibialis anterior muscle or (more likely by feel) the extensor digitorum longus muscle.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/121602/Anterior-view-of-the-muscles-of-the-human-leg

I don't know about stretching the sucker, but I run my running stick across mine every now and then, even though it doesn't bother me.  When I rub the stick on it, there's certainly some discomfort, and I can feel it's initially very tight. 

runnershawn

love runningahead.  I have this same issue now and will try what has been suggested.  The leg just keeps tightening up down there and started after running my last half.  I have been ice massaging it pretty hard and got 15 mins today versus 1 minute yesterday of running.  But, feel encouraged after seeing your log stadjak and that you recovered in a few days.  every marathon training cycle makes me panic a bit

Years later I learned part of my problem was tying my laces too tight.  If I start to get shin pain, first thing I check is the laces.  Sometimes I need to leave them crazy loose and the pain goes away.