Step Back weeks and building weekly miles (Read 2359 times)

Lazy idiot

My guess would be that the niggles are more likely to occur at her current weekly mileage than at the 30mpw level.

Based on one man's experience, I'd put money on that.

Tick tock

ud32

2) If there is a relationship between the injuries and the mileage, I'd bet it's the opposite of what is assumed on this thread by most posters. My guess would be that the niggles are more likely to occur at her current weekly mileage than at the 30mpw level.

Why would that be the case ?

If that is true, I'd be thrilled to eventually get the mileage higher and stay injury free !

dennrunner

Based on one man's experience, I'd put money on that.

+1 (or should that be +2?)

I've generally had more minor issues at 15mpw than at 30mpw. 

ud32

Your goal right now is to slowly increase  mileage, correct (& stay injury free)?.

Most of these posts are similar in agreement so you should have a good plan now.

Correct - that is my goal - to get to 25-30 MPW and stay injury free ( and get in a HM around Thanksgiving).

I'll try some runs and an even slower pace than I am running now and maybe use the HR monitor too. Sometimes I feel like I am not working if I run too slow!

Thanks for all the feedback - definitely one of the more educating threads for me.

JimR

I remember doing a jump like this.  I think it was from something like 15 miles a week to 25.  Right now if I do a 25 mile week it means I was sleeping (which my log indicates I was apparently doing a couple of weeks ago) through it.  But the first time I made that jump it was tricky because my body was simply not prepared for it.

A 25 mile week might mean 5 days of doing 5 miles a day.  That's not that easy a jump for someone doing 10 (maybe 3/3/4?).  I wouldn't concern myself with that junk 10% rule.  Just add a run in there.  If you're doing 3 days, do 4 for a couple of weeks.  Get good with that, then do 5.

I found that with these increases, I sure could have used some strengthening work on my legs.  I kept getting injured, and what helped was doing lateral leg raises which kept the quads in balance.  Picking up miles, some muscles develop faster than others and you're kneecaps will take the brunt of it.  Lateral leg raises helped me stay balanced and cut down on injury.

I know I just went out and did 25 and lived with the consequences.  I'm still livin' and runnin' and that's all that matters.

ud32.  

25-30 was my goal before summer out & have reached that level. now hope to maintain through upcoming weather changes which is not easy here in Seattle (especially last yr).  end of last summer I started getting more serious, pushed up mileage too fast & guess what??  3 mths of calf issues where eventually had to stop altogether for several weeks.  Started back very slowly.   20 mins slow 3x/wk.  never 2 in row, then added a 4th day & then 2 days on/one off.  slowly started building on time & then duration/mileage with some run/walk. 1st goal then was 20 mpw consistently, & now 25-30 & 100 miles mth.  now up to 4-6days on/ one off & training for 1/2 in Spring. up to 8-9 miles non-stop. Been concentrating on duration/mileage, not speed.  meanwhile, somehow have set 4 consecutive 5k pr's & injury free for about 4 mths.  will be setting 8k pr in 2 wks. very doable for you!!

dallasboycows

sorry to bump an old thread but I'm guessing this is why I've been struggling to keep the tendonitis away.  Went from about 10 mpw to 40 in about 3 months.  I take herbal anti-inflammatories/ice every single day/ use a foam massage roller after almost every run and bike and I'm doing pretty good except my ankle which I actually injured racing before I even started training.  it was a spur of the moment deal.  A big mistake too.  My body was so unprepared. 

Now I'm debating a stepback week but I keep reading conflicting advice.  Listen to your body some say, some say cut mileage, some intensity, some say no cutback except between seasons or major races.  I do think next week I'll reduce mileage to about 60% though and see if I can't get my ankle back to about 95-100%.  It's been 3 months and it hasn't got worse.  just a dull ache. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not sure what your situation is. I'd think the major disadvantage of cutbacks is interfering with building to a peak, which is most relevant for pros and competitive HS & college runners?    For the rest of us, we have less to lose, and so contrariwise, more to gain (reducing our chance of injury, by giving up some intensity).

But, disclaimer, I am only guessing - I'm an entirely uneducated hobbyjogger.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

1) There is a high probability that there is no relationship whatsoever between the niggling injuries and the weekly mileage.

2) If there is a relationship between the injuries and the mileage, I'd bet it's the opposite of what is assumed on this thread by most posters. My guess would be that the niggles are more likely to occur at her current weekly mileage than at the 30mpw level.

If your niggles keep getting injured, you might want to put tape or lubricant over them.

1) There is a high probability that there is no relationship whatsoever between the niggling injuries and the weekly mileage.

+1

I'd bet my money on this. As the self proclaimed newbie expert I am. Wink 

Your runs vary between 20 - 45 min - determining from the pace you probably don't take the time to warm up much, do you? The niggling is probably from not waming up properly. You could probably safely ramp up the milage to 20-25 already in the next week, but take care of warming up and cooling down properly.

Running Blog: On my two feet

Yeah from a 2nd grade math perspective the answer seems pretty clear.  If your goal is to get to 25 or 30 and you start start at 10 miles and go back to 10 miles every 4th week and build from there, you'll obviously never get past 12 miles in a week.

You would though ...

Week 1: 10

Week 2: 11

Week 3: 12

Week 4: ??10??

Week 5: 11

Week 6: 12

Week 7: 13

Week 8: ??11??

But it would take a bloody long time that way Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

sorry to bump an old thread but I'm guessing this is why I've been struggling to keep the tendonitis away.  Went from about 10 mpw to 40 in about 3 months.  I take herbal anti-inflammatories/ice every single day/ use a foam massage roller after almost every run and bike and I'm doing pretty good except my ankle which I actually injured racing before I even started training.  it was a spur of the moment deal.  A big mistake too.  My body was so unprepared. 

Now I'm debating a stepback week but I keep reading conflicting advice.  Listen to your body some say, some say cut mileage, some intensity, some say no cutback except between seasons or major races.  I do think next week I'll reduce mileage to about 60% though and see if I can't get my ankle back to about 95-100%.  It's been 3 months and it hasn't got worse.  just a dull ache. 

Going from 10 to 40 in 3 months does not seem unreasonable to me. I had anterior tibialis tendinitis during marathon training in 2010. Felt like a sprained ankle and just would not improve. My salvation was a bucket of ice water. Soak that ankle every night. Make it hurt (from the cold). Works much better than ice packs.