Femur bone shaft stress fracture grade 4B (Read 64 times)

I was recently diagnosed with a stress  fracture in my femur bone. My doctor said I had to go on crutches for three weeks then I could just walk for three weeks and then the last six weeks I would be doing physical therapy.  He said I could start running again at about 12 weeks.  I don't have any pain when I walk so I was a little surprised he put me on crutches and he also said I couldn't water jog for now. Anyone have any advice for how their recovery went with a femur bone stress fracture. Any tips on how not to go crazy while I can't exercise? Or similar experiences?

You should seek clarification on the types of non-impactful activities that are allowed. Swimming, cycling, rowing, elliptical, versaclimber, etc. are all good at helping to maintain aerobic fitness and muscle tone. I have a personal preference for elliptical cross-trainers and recumbent stationary bikes. Beat the resolution rush and get a 90 day gym membership. 

SMART Approach

Is your stress fracture proximal or up in the hip area? If so, there is always an increased risk of AVN (avascular necrosis). You don't want that and better to be conservative in recovery. How did stress fracture develop?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

It is an acute stress fracture in the mid-diaphyseal region of the left femur (the middle) with a length of 12 cm and there is evidence of periosteal reaction which would make it a grade 4B stress fracture. The pain started after I ran my fall marathon and I ran on it for about a month thinking it was quad pain, it just got worse then I went to see a ortho and he ordered an MRI.

SMART Approach

Better to have it there than in the hip area. I have never seen a mid shaft femur stress fracture-certainly a more rare place for this to occur. Doc's advice is reasonable. Have you had a metabolic profile done? Blood tests, Vit D level etc? Good nutrition, sleep and rest will get you back on the road.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Thanks, yes he had me talk to a nutritionist to make sure I'm getting enough protein/calcium and he's ordering blood work. In particular he thinks it could be a vit D deficiency. Thanks for your response!

SMART Approach

Do some research on nutrition and nutrients for bone health like Vitamin C, protein, zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Magnesium and Vit K2. I am not a fan of supplemental calcium unless you do not consume dairy or green leafy vegetables. Then I would look for food based calcium supplements or citrate being next best. Calcium carbonate poorly absorbed.