Denver Rock and Roll Marathon Course Change (Read 174 times)

philipfromga

Is anyone else upset about the change of the route of the Denver Rock and Roll Marathon? What was once a nice looping route through the downtown neighborhoods and parks of Denver is now a point to point starting 18 miles away and follows the worst parts of the Platte River Trail into downtown.  I consider this a bait and switch, currently they don't even have a plan posted on how to get from one point to the other either before the race or after to retrieve your car.  This is just a horrible situation for those that signed up early having enjoyed the race in the past.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wait. Rock n Roll changed a course and made it worse?

#artbydmcbride

LOL!!!

Runners run

rlopez

At least as a point to point, maybe they won't set up the course incorrectly on race morning like they did a few years ago... and then, as spooky as can be, "adjust" people's times to what they MIGHT have been HAD they run the actual certified course.  Gotta love rnr.

Now there is a net elevation gain >200 feet. They do say that free shuttle service is available from the finish back to the start at the fairgrounds.

There's plenty of road and trail marathons to do in CO, no need to do this one.

Kalsarikännit

It could be worse. Years back, they hadn't paid their bills (pre-RNR) and the city refused to play along, shutting down the marathon two days before the race. People flew in and were told at the expo that the race was cancelled.

Also, this site is neck high in RNR complaints. Caveat Emptor.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

rlopez

It could be worse. Years back, they hadn't paid their bills (pre-RNR) and the city refused to play along, shutting down the marathon two days before the race. People flew in and were told at the expo that the race was cancelled.

Also, this site is neck high in RNR complaints. Caveat Emptor.

I was one of those folks.  The RD of that race didn't bother to go get his race's permits until the day before the race... and the city said "nah".  Of course, the city said nah because of ongoing squabbling.

At least it isn't Boulder, where that RD found every reason he could to cancel the race right before the date, several times.

Kalsarikännit

At least it isn't Boulder Madison, where that RD found every reason he could to cancel the race right before the date, several times.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I think they are trying to kill the marathon distance.  Last year they changed the half course and it was horrible, this year they changed it back.  My best experiences here in Denver so far with larger races are Colfax and the Hot Chocolate 15k.  Both well run and haven't heard many complaints.

BeeRunB

I think they are trying to kill the marathon distance.  Last year they changed the half course and it was horrible, this year they changed it back.  My best experiences here in Denver so far with larger races are Colfax and the Hot Chocolate 15k.  Both well run and haven't heard many complaints.

Why bother with the marathon when they can get people to pay $100+ for a half marathon?

Hoban-Jay

Why bother...it's Denver!

Who really wants to run 26 miles through the streets of Denver anyway!?  It doesn't matter how they change the course, it's all the same anyway.

Penguin Forever

And now it's a Groupon deal. https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-rnr-marathon-2

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And now they are done with Denver, at least for the marathon.

http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/2015/09/18/denver-rock-n-roll-marathon-runs-its-course-2015-will-be-last-year-for-marathon/

Figures. Denver needs a marathon run by an organization that supports running.

Hoban-Jay

There's still the Colfax Marathon if you REALLY feel you must run a marathon in Denver.

Sixty miles to the north however, is The Colorado Marathon in Fort Collins.  There are two trail marathons in FC as well.  And a trail marathon in Boulder.  An Ultra just across the border in WY in the Veedawoo wilderness area between Cheyenne and Laramie.  So really, who needs to run through the streets and smog that is Denver!?