Running Pants for Winter (Read 728 times)

This will be my first winter of running, and I'm starting to look for stuff to wear. I live in Chicagoland, so our winters get pretty cold. I am trying to save money wherever possible and was wondering if any of you have recommendations for running pants. Do I really need $60 running pants or do you think I'd be fine if I just got some wicking long underwear and regular sweat pants as an outer layer?
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon

Menace to Sobriety

We don't get the winters you do, but I'd steer away from sweatpants, if you're talking about the old baggy grey type. Even in the cold, they're gonna get wet and heavy, and probably chafe in places. I'd look for a pair of running tights, they make some that fit pretty close, but aren't so form fitting as to be embarassing. Unless its below zero cold, once you get going, you'll stay pretty warm, but you want to cover exposed skin. Put some money in a decent pair of running gloves and a hat as well. Keeping your hands and head warm goes a long ways in keeping the rest of you warm.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I'd like some advice on this question, as well. This winter will be my first winter running and I'm trying to figure out how to cheaply outfit myself for running in the cold.
          I find this thread a bit disheartening. It's Aug 12 for crying out loud! Sugoi Sub Zero tights. All you need to know. Not cheap, but you'll be glad you spent the money. You'll want to keep your 'bit and pieces' warm. The alternative can be... unpleasant - if you know what I mean.

dork.major dork.

REI sells some fleece lined spandex that I love. Love, love, love. MTA: I live in Boston, so it gets chilly.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Lisa3.1

I am in Minnesota, it gets to be well below zero temperatures here, so I am interested to know too.
                Product you are looking for are Thermal Tights. There are several different types with different degrees of warmth depending on your climate. I have some medium warm ones and some super warm ones by Pearl Izumi that are for really cold mornings. I am in the south, but even so, we have plenty of very cold mornings in the winter.. ( high teens low 20's) ..... You will only need the super warm ones if it's really really cold, and your runs are fairly short in duration. Most of the time the length of your runs will make your body heat somewhat compensate for the cold temperatures. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the material is Moisture Wicking ( as said before) to keep the sweat away from your skin to prevent hypothermia. Winter running tights go quickly on all the running sites. I would start shopping now while all the sizes are in stock.... As hot as it's been here this Summer, I CANNOT WAIT for Winter running weather! Smile MTA: Most guys wear a pair of running shorts over their tights so they are not " embarassed" .... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thermal tights are good, but when it's really cold (below 10º with windchills of 0 or less) I haven't found a one that really keeps my legs warm (I have a pair of Pearl Izumi that are among the warmest tights made). Then I do the tights with a windbreaking pant on top of the tights.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thermal tights are good, but when it's really cold (below 10º with windchills of 0 or less) I haven't found a one that really keeps my legs warm (I have a pair of Pearl Izumi that are among the warmest tights made). Then I do the tights with a windbreaking pant on top of the tights.
                    BRRRRR...... I think we have the same tights.... Love mine! Smile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Make sure you don't OVERdress - you should feel cold when you start out. You sweat like crazy and then get REALLY cold. Even in Maine, I wear less than you'd think! I'm with Cheffy - I can't wait for cold weather!
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BRRRRR...... I think we have the same tights.... Love mine! Smile
                        I actually didn't care for my PI tights, though I think I got them a size smaller than I should have (hopefully they will fit better this year). PI stuff always seems to run a full size smaller than everyone else. My favorite NB thermal tights aren't as warm, but fit better. I like the little pocket on the back of those, too.

~ Sarah Kay

I will no longer complain of being cold in Tennessee during the winter!
                            I will no longer complain of being cold in Tennessee during the winter!
                            No Kidding! Wink

dork.major dork.

Oh. I'm totally looking forward to winter running, and fall. I love fall, low humidity... tights and a long sleeve shirt... long runs with foliage. ::sigh::

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh. I'm totally looking forward to winter running, and fall. I love fall, low humidity... tights and a long sleeve shirt... long runs with foliage. ::sigh::
                                Yeah...I live for Fall runs. It's my favorite time of year. All my Summer training in heat suddenly makes me fast(er) and the lungs are no longer dealing with humidity. I like Spring, too, but that comes with too much tree pollen for it to be a truly pleasant time for running. Sept. thru Nov. are the bestest times to be a runner...we're almost there, baby! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay