Anyone else not really into Christmas presents? (Read 591 times)

Who needs toenails?

I'm not big into the Christmas present thing. My family and I stopped exchanging gifts a few years ago and it was really a relief. We're not at all close so it was sort of weird to do the obligatory gift exchange. However, I will say it was much less weird than the year I decided to be all social and call all my siblings on Christmas. Um yeah, that was awkward. Still though, it's like this time of year it's programmed into us to go out and buy stuff. It's weird to me to watch everyone freaking out about not having a present for so-and-so but apparently it's a legitimate concern. I've run into a few instances where people expected gifts and were really ticked off not to get them. So, do you expect presents? Are you upset if you don't get them? Have you shunned the whole gift giving thing altogether?

Now that was a bath...

I've given birth too often to stop with the present giving but we did stop giving cards a few years ago and instead we donate the money to a children's charity. I would never expect a gift though and I think it's great when people decide to de-commercialize the whole Christmas thing.
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      va

It can get ridiculous. I am in a large family, lots of adults and kids. For the adults, we each pick a name out of a hat, and you buy a gift for a single adult. This makes sense right? Well, as years goes by, it still gets harder and harder to pick a "good" gift (some people are harder than others). It's gotten so bad that many people simply ask the giftee for a list of things they want...
          I hate Christmas shopping. It's such a production and I have no creativity when it comes to gift giving. If they don't tell me specifically what they want, you are liable to get nothing or a gift card to some dumb place they never shop. This actually applies to any gift giving occasion. I'm terrible with coming up with gift ideas.
            I do not have a big immediate family. Most of the time, I'll exchange gifts with my sister's family and give cards to my folks unless there is something interesting I come across to give. My sister usually directs me to items she'll think my niece will enjoy... last year it was a scooter. Gift cards/certificates are not the best gifts. I got my bro in law and sister about 5 different ones several years back. All were spent within the first couple months except a gift certificate to a restaurant. It took over 2 years for that certificate to be used!!!!
            I've run into a few instances where people expected gifts and were really ticked off not to get them.
            (UN-) Common Courtesy Not receiving a thank you letter ticks me off... well Christmas is different... but for wedding, baby, or graduation gifts I expect some form of acknowledgment... especially when the person has a registry... Angry... For me, this is up there with leading someone out there that'd you said you call them back at such and such time... and also the not letting one know you won't be available at such and such time when you knew well in advance of your scheduling conflict... ETA: Hope Everyone has a Merry Christmas ( Smile)

Vim

GP160

I love giving gifts. I really enjoy finding that special gift for someone. I know it sounds hokey, but giving makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Smile Merry Christmas Big grin
              Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Who needs toenails?

I totally get the whole "joy of gift giving" feeling but I guess I resent the on-demand feeling of Christmas and how people seem to get so caught up in buying that they don't even enjoy the holiday. I like the idea of giving to a charity. There sure are a lot that really need it. How about Angel Tree? Does anyone do that? I've done it before and had a blast picking out little shoes and coats and stuff for the child I chose. It felt good to know someone was going to be warm and happy on Christmas that might otherwise not have been. That kind of gift giving I can get behind!
                  This year we actually let the kids in on our vote to decide if we would stay home or venture out to my aunt's house (as we do every year on Christmas morning). Usually the day is non-stop rushing around with two and a half hours of driving included. The kids ALL said they wanted to stay home. So, we politely told my 15 other family members that we were not doing the gift exchange this year and that we'd be staying home. My side of the family never agreed on the polyanna thing and buying gifts for all of my aunts and uncles and cousins and etc. really adds up. We have four children, we spend too much money as it is. So instead we made plans to see different family members on different nights of the holiday season. Dinner with some, game night with others etc. It's so much nicer this year, so far. This will be the first time that I've ever made Christmas dinner! AND... I won't have to hurry all 6 of us with waking up and doing the present thing and then rushing out the door, leaving behind the aftermath of the great unwrapping. As much as I enjoy buying that "perfect" gift for others, I have so far enjoyed what other plans we've made instead.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm not into Christmas presents.

Who needs toenails?

Mississippi, that sounds like a great way to spend the holiday. I remember having to do the mad rush around when I was a kid and even when you're young, you notice the stress and get stressed yourself. I'm sure you and your kids will enjoy this holiday so much more.
                      Scout7

digreen

Our family agreed to not give gifts this year and I agree, it is a relief. I prefer to give gifts to people that I appreciate but don't have the opportunity to tell very often. I got my next door neighbors each a wreath and I will drop off a case of beer at my mechanic's shop and a bottle of wine for my massage therapist. It's way more fun to give to people that impact my life but aren't expecting anything.

this space for rent

I'm lucky in that my "family" is just me and my mom (and a very large, old cat). I don't have the frantic pressure to run out and buy for a million people, or to find that one perfect gift. I have a decent job and treat myself to the things I want throughout the year so when Christmas rolls around, there's hardly ever anything I really, REALLY want. This year I just asked my mom to help me out w/ a bill. I'm thrilled to have one less bill to worry about, and now there won't be anything to exchange/return/find place for in an already crowded closet. Otoh, I LOVE _giving_ gifts. I've got a knack for finding the perfect thing for others, so I delight in that part of the holiday. I'm also slowly switching over to charitable donations for people I know are in my situation - those who have everything they want already. There's a lot more warm fuzzies in a well thought out charity donation than a scratchy, stacticky sweater gift Big grin
                              I was in Dublins main shopping street today to get the last of my list ticked off. I stopped and looked around at all the confused and rushed people. I couldnt help but feel that they all felt compelled to do this, like they were robots, programmed to buy buy buy. The concept of Christmas is good, but its gone too commercial.
                              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.

Runs with ALTITUDE!

I'm not in to Christmas. Period.