Everything you've been told about recovery is a lie (Read 227 times)

I listened to the author on Science Friday radio program yesterday. The book sums up the most recent studies on exercise physiology, and is pissing people off. Some of the callers were very upset.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/new-book-tackles-real-science-sports-recovery

But really, you stretch because a long time ago your school coaches told you it prevents injuries, but who told THEM that?

Icing and ice baths? Turns out to not only be complete bunk, but also detrimental to recovery and fitness.

Gobbling protein right after a workout? Not needed, doesn't do anything.

The entire book is blasphemies against our sacred beliefs!

There will probably be book burning parties organized.

Image result for book burning

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not everything.  I was told to take a day off if I was tired and needed the rest.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

But really, you stretch because a long time ago your school coaches told you it prevents injuries, but who told THEM that?

Well not exactly. I stretch because 4 years ago a physical therapist told me to. IDK who told her that. But I have continued to do so, after every single run, mostly out of habit and superstition. At this point, whether it helps or not is irrelevant.

Dave

Seattle prattle

No expert here but something's just not right when we're stressing out over all this recovery advice. I mean, wouldn't that be self-defeating?

I have to say, many times people only hear the sound bites vs. looking into the real data, etc...

I did read the icing/ibuprofen....hurting recovery....negating full gains, but sometimes you need it.

Sometimes I think we're in this alone and have to just figure out what works best for ourselves.

I think it's good to be open minded to facts, evidence, statistics etc... although often I'll have a friend etc... complain about this or than and I'll tell them some info, and it seems to fall on deaf ears, lol.

I once did read how former athletes... are much more open to advice and suggestions, ie. coaching... than many non athletes or such who come to sports/activities later in life.

good luck y'all!

300m- 37 sec.

Village people

Well not exactly. I stretch because 4 years ago a physical therapist told me to. IDK who told her that. But I have continued to do so, after every single run, mostly out of habit and superstition. At this point, whether it helps or not is irrelevant.

This

rmcj001

Haven't read the book yet, but I did listen to the podcast, read the five points and the interview.  I didn't see anything in here that hasn't been mentioned somewhere on RA before - though, it may contradict a majority of the sentiment on the lists here.  I do think it is a good start to countering much of the conventional wisdom that isn't (icing, ibuprofen, stretching).  But, like she says, the placebo effect is real and if you believe it is helping it probably is...

Ray

rlopez

We've known stretching is bullshit for years. A staple of running message boards going back to 2003, at least.

Ice-is-bullshit started coming up about two years ago.

Didn't know about the protein one, but whatevs

if you believe in the placebo effect of cupping, acupuncture, KT tape, Chiropractic adjustments, rolfing, IR saunas or healing crystals, don't read this book. Or any legitimate studies. (insert vigorous defense and anecdotal experience here)

Personally, I believe in the healing and performance power of beer and pizza. Don't blow it for me by telling me anything different.

Seattle prattle

As for the protein powder part, i haven't read the book, but the reason i take protein is not for recovery but for maintaining muscle mass in general. I am quite comfortable with the generally accepted guidelines and the bulk of the studies and articles i've read in this regard.

Protein in relation to recovery has mostly been recommended as a catalyst to for metabolizing the carbs, and often recommended as a 4:1 carbs to protein ratio.

Granted, I have heard some weight lifting sites advocating about 40 grams protein intake immediately following a workout, but i haven't seen that supported with studies.

Personally, i would be more concerned about this if you were doing heavy resistance training and were in a "cutting" phase, but i doubt runners have much to worry about there...

So, in conclusion, I do feel protein is important for athletes in general (esp. masters athletes), though perhaps less so as part of a recovery strategy

T Hound

Slower but happier

I used to do some recover stuff like ice baths, now it all just seems like too much effort.  I don’t have time for it.  I figure upping the miles (with proper rest and easy/recovery runs) will do more.

so did they address what if anything aids recovery consistently?  I feel like easy running or walking does or just keeping active does for myself. Also beer or ice cream...

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

paul2432

so did they address what if anything aids recovery consistently?  I feel like easy running or walking does or just keeping active does for myself. Also beer or ice cream...

Sleeping

rlopez

if you believe in the placebo effect of cupping, acupuncture, KT tape, Chiropractic adjustments, rolfing, IR saunas or healing crystals, don't read this book. Or any legitimate studies. (insert vigorous defense and anecdotal experience here)

Personally, I believe in the healing and performance power of beer and pizza. Don't blow it for me by telling me anything different.

This is all fine, but you posted something like it's new and we've been discussing these things for 15-20 years.

rlopez

As for the protein powder part, i haven't read the book, but the reason i take protein is not for recovery but for maintaining muscle mass in general. I am quite comfortable with the generally accepted guidelines and the bulk of the studies and articles i've read in this regard.

Protein in relation to recovery has mostly been recommended as a catalyst to for metabolizing the carbs, and often recommended as a 4:1 carbs to protein ratio.

Granted, I have heard some weight lifting sites advocating about 40 grams protein intake immediately following a workout, but i haven't seen that supported with studies.

Personally, i would be more concerned about this if you were doing heavy resistance training and were in a "cutting" phase, but i doubt runners have much to worry about there...

So, in conclusion, I do feel protein is important for athletes in general (esp. masters athletes), though perhaps less so as part of a recovery strategy

The thing about protein is that many "athletes" supplement with way too much in too big a quantity at one time... just making for very expensive smelly pee.

regarding the protein: the current mythology is that you MUST have it within 20 minutes of completing your workout. Studies show that you don't, that having protein throughout the day has the same exact function and effect.

On NPR, the author said that anything you BELIEVE (placebo effect) helps you is perfectly fine, because it relaxes you and puts you in a positive state of mind. Not much that is in the current exercise physiology mythology is super harmful, but a lot of it actually restricts or delays recovery. If you want to take an ice bath while getting a wine enema because you BELIEVE that helps you, go for it.

As a lazy person, I find it refreshing that doing NOTHING, not throwing ANY extra effort into it, is the best way to recover and prepare for the next workout. At least according to this current science-based exercise physiology model.