Help reaching my goal (Read 626 times)

So... as a total beginner (started running in April), I wonder what the folks would suggest as a good way to proceed toward the goal of running a half marathon in September 2009. Of course, I just want to finish but I would prefer if it wasn't a miserable event Smile so I would like to be fairly well prepared. I have tried to find local 5Ks but literally can't find a single one in my area (I'm not in NA). There is a 10k I might be able to get to in June 2009 but that is it for shorter distances, they don't seem too common in this country. I know there is a heap of collective experience on this forum so I look forward to lots of suggestions. Cheers!
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

Gradually build up your easy miles. You've given yourself over 1 year to reach your goal of a half marathon, which is plenty of time as long as you train smart and avoid injury. I'd say you should slowly build up to about 25 to 35 miles per week by May or so of 2009 using the 10% rule as a general guideline to avoid injury, then do some race specific workouts, possibly taper starting about 2 weeks before your race and then go for it! Remember, try not to increase intensity and duration at the same time - especially as a beginner. Either 1 or the other per week. Best of luck to you in achieving your goal!! Smile
        Hi Wee~ It's me again! Smile I would start with maybe the One Hour Runner program, this will get you running for the time element, running for one hour straight, and it's a great base building program. it's about time on your feet, building lots and lots of EASY SLOW miles. I know you will get sick and tired of hearing that, but believe me, it's the only way that you will be able to train withought injury. Once you complete one hour runner, gradually increase your total weekly mileage by no more than 10% as runner92 said. Then I would recommend doing the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice plan. This is a great program that incorporates gradual mileage increase over the long runs, with some strength training and cross training to keep you fresh. Next September is a good goal, and if you follow your training plans, you will ace it for sure! Best, Cheffy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

First off you need to be WAY more consistent. I looked at your log and saw about 3 weeks with no miles and then when you picked it back up, your miles were very very low. Aim for 4 days a week. If you're constrained for time, start with a goal of 30 minutes and then as things start to fall into place better, work up to running x miles per day then start to set weekly mileage goals eventually building up to the weekly mileage of the program you are going to use to train. The more consistent you get, the more miles you put in. That is going to be the key to your goal of finishing.
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09