Marathon to 5k (Read 176 times)

Chris Pinney

I have been running for about 4 years now. Focusing mainly on one half and one full per year. Maybe run a 5k or two for fun. I've begun to realize I might be more cut out for the shorter stuff. Just looking for any tips on the transition. I'd peak at about 45-50 mpw in marathon training 3:44 pr. Any advice appreciated.

npaden

I really like this article on the 5k by Pete Magill.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-the-5k-puzzle

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Chris Pinney

Wow,thanks npaden. Great stuff

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe you need to find a M25K plan on the web.

JanaLamb

I think there was a 5k thread before. I just forgot what it's called. They had pretty good links there.

Anyway, this one's cool, too! I like this one.

I really like this article on the 5k by Pete Magill.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-the-5k-puzzle

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Lane

I'd peak at about 45-50 mpw in marathon training 3:44 pr. Any advice appreciated.

If you peak at about 45-50 mpw in marathon training, you should peak at about 45-50 mpw in 5k training.  Training for both is basically the same (with some small tweaks) about 90% of the time.  No need to reduce mileage/training time just because the race is shorter - just spread the mileage around a little bit differently.

mikeymike

If you peak at about 45-50 mpw in marathon training, you should peak at about 45-50 mpw in 5k training.  Training for both is basically the same (with some small tweaks) about 90% of the time.  No need to reduce mileage/training time just because the race is shorter - just spread the mileage around a little bit differently.

I agree with this. The reason many of us run 5k PRs off marathon training is that our marathon training more closely resembles ideal 5k training than ideal marathon training.

Runners run

Chris Pinney

Funny

Maybe you need to find a M25K plan on the web.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I went from focusing on doing some marathons (not for time, just for fun with a friend) to training to be competitive at the 5K and I agree, I probably ran close to the same amount of mileage.  The difference was that my long run was shorter (up to 12-14 miles for 5K training) and I would do a tempo run and a track workout on two other days of the week.  The rest of my runs were easy miles, but the regular, everyday run days were a bit longer to make up the difference in mileage from cutting down the long run a little bit.  I am no expert, but as a female, it allowed me to consistently run under 21:00 and break 20:00 once, which is decently competitive in my area.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

#artbydmcbride

I think there was a 5k thread before. I just forgot what it's called. They had pretty good links there.

Anyway, this one's cool, too! I like this one.

It's almost like you are really there!

Runners run

kilkee

runktrun

Ooh, where!?  I'm lost...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Ooh, where!?  I'm lost...

I think ileneforward was referring to the fact that "janalamb" sounds a lot like one of those artificial intelligence programs you can have a "conversation" with.

As for the 5k, my best 5ks have definitely been off of training for a much longer race. If you have a good aerobic base, it should only take a few weeks of 5k specific training and sharpening to get ready for a pr.