Marathon, sweating, heart rate and cramping (Read 104 times)

dfk356

I just finished my 5th marathon.  The first two went well and I averaged about 3:45.  The last 3 I have crashed at about mile 20 and slowly made my way in at about 4:30.  I am a heavy sweater when I run, weigh 185, male age 54.  I train at about 9:10 miles on the long runs and ran 3, 21 milers and did all the speed work before this last marathon.  So I felt I was ready.  During the marathon I alternate water and Powerade/Gatorade every 2 miles at the water stops usually 2-3 cups and then a GU every 4 miles.  At mile 16 I took 3 salt tablets.

What usually happens is by mile 20 my heart starts racing to 175 (in training it averages 150) so I walk to get it back down  to about 135 and then can run about a mile or less before it's back up to 175.  At the end of this last race I cramped up which has never happened before.  I was thinking that it might be hydration issues but am now thinking that maybe I tried to take in too much fluids.  When I train I take in about 5 ounces every 2 miles and am usually fine.  Any thoughts?

#artbydmcbride

I have a rule of thumb to do in the marathon, what worked well in training.

Runners run

I Run To Eat :)

I just finished my 5th marathon.  The first two went well and I averaged about 3:45.  The last 3 I have crashed at about mile 20 and slowly made my way in at about 4:30.  I am a heavy sweater when I run, weigh 185, male age 54.  I train at about 9:10 miles on the long runs and ran 3, 21 milers and did all the speed work before this last marathon.  So I felt I was ready.  During the marathon I alternate water and Powerade/Gatorade every 2 miles at the water stops usually 2-3 cups and then a GU every 4 miles.  At mile 16 I took 3 salt tablets.

What usually happens is by mile 20 my heart starts racing to 175 (in training it averages 150) so I walk to get it back down  to about 135 and then can run about a mile or less before it's back up to 175.  At the end of this last race I cramped up which has never happened before.  I was thinking that it might be hydration issues but am now thinking that maybe I tried to take in too much fluids.  When I train I take in about 5 ounces every 2 miles and am usually fine.  Any thoughts?

Have you changed how you eat before the Marathon also ?  Usually issues like these appear because we've changed something, either that week, a week ago, the night before etc.  I hurt my achilles tendon years ago and it was because I changed something (training wise, not food) and created stress in an area that was fine otherwise.

Good luck !

joescott

Why do you slow down when your heart rate goes up?  You're not (probably :-) ) going to die.  It is very common, probably unavoidable in fact, to have cardiac drift taking place late in a marathon.  The cramping is something else.  However, sometimes I find, as I did this weekend, if I do NOT walk I can work through the cramping and keep going.

Also, what the others said:  It's a good idea to race like you train, in terms of hydration, nutrition, even clothing.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.