Have you ever experienced a performance breakthrough that didn't involve increasing mileage? (Read 182 times)

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Conventional wisdom has usually been that in order to get faster, you should run more, and conventional wisdom has usually been right, at least for me and most of the runners I've personally known.  All my PRs have been set following increases in weekly mileage, either in the training cycle or the base phase (usually both).  Of course, there are occasional anomalies for some people, so I'm curious.  Have you ever had a significant improvement at any distance which wasn't the result of increasing mileage?

Edit: Just remembered that I've also experienced significant improvement dropping 20+ pounds, but that's just sort of obvious.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Conventional wisdom has usually been that in order to get faster, you should run more, and conventional wisdom has usually been right, at least for me and most of the runners I've personally known.  All my PRs have been set following increases in weekly mileage, either in the training cycle or the base phase (usually both).  Of course, there are occasional anomalies for some people, so I'm curious.  Have you ever had a significant improvement at any distance which wasn't the result of increasing mileage?

Edit: Just remembered that I've also experienced significant improvement dropping 20+ pounds, but that's just sort of obvious.

Yes.  I've run much faster marathons on ~60 miles a week than I ever did on 80+.  And I saw a breakthrough when I cut out doubles and just used the extra time to get to bed earlier.

Improvement isn't about maxing stress.  It's about hitting the ultimate balance of stress and recovery.  People who see value from increasing mileage are those who can absorb the benefits - that's not all of us.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Yes.  I've run much faster marathons on ~60 miles a week than I ever did on 80+.  And I saw a breakthrough when I cut out doubles and just used the extra time to get to bed earlier.

Improvement isn't about maxing stress.  It's about hitting the ultimate balance of stress and recovery.  People who see value from increasing mileage are those who can absorb the benefits - that's not all of us.

Very true.  I think it was Jack Daniels (the running coach, not the booze guy) who said your ideal mileage is only as much as you need to reach your goals.  Any more is just risking injury.

So what was different about your shorter mileage training, besides dropping doubles and getting more rest?

Still kicking

I use to faithfully do a 30 minute stretching routine every night. After 35 years of that shit, I stopped. I was sick of it. 4 weeks later, without changing anything else, I shattered my masters 5K PR, completely out of the blue. That was 2 years ago, and I haven't stretched since.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Increasing intensity rather than mileage can bring big improvements.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SMART Approach

Especially for half or full marathon training get 2 rather than one longer run in per week. In that mid week longer run add quality work too. You will see a bump in fitness. Mid week miles are as important as that weekly long run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

It depends on how you define "involve". I tend to think of training as a progression and it's really hard to untangle what specific thing led to a breakthrough--and the most recent thing isn't always the thing.

Runners run

JimR

I've never had issues with my performance.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Mostly it has come down to miles but other factors for me have been:

1) Weight loss

2) increased intensity (specifically lots of lactate stuff for HM distance)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My best year came the year after my biggest mileage year.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

kcam

The variables that most closely 'correlate' to the periods when I ran my best times were 1) mileage and 2) weight.  But not necessarily in the period just before peak performance.  It was always a long period of hi mileage and decreasing weight that led to a period of maintaining or even dropping mileage while racing frequently at many distances.

speedendurance88

I've noticed a breakthrough in running pace over 5k by increasing biking and walking mileage. It was mostly due to the 10 lb I lost, but I also think I was training too high intensity for me, and that the easy cardio got that long term endurance boosted I was lacking, not being able to do a true long run without being in too high of a heart rate range. Note I transitioned from biking>walking> running and the training may not have been as specific to running if not for this order. the biking being closer to running than walking in terms of heart rate, the walking being closer to running in terms of posture.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In what at first appears to be oxymoronic, I once had a breakthrough at the 5K level when I slowed down the pace of my interval workouts by 2-3 seconds per 400m.  I was hitting the faster pace but at a cost of being chronically tired, even on race day after a short taper..

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.