Mile time (Read 106 times)

Barely

Hi people, I'm new to this website (and running) and I have a few questions... First of all, I live a couple block from a track and I've been visiting it regularly to kinda keep in shape for when I start rowing again in the fall. The thing is, I've been doing it for about a month now, and I can't seem to get my time below a pathetic 10 minutes. I go in the morning without eating anything and ususally just get there, stretch out a little, and get right to it, having to push myself through the last lap and then collapsing on the grass to see that I still havent gotten any better. I will admit, I have dropped a minute or so since I began, as I was jogging lazily rather that picking my knees up.

Anyways, sorry for the article, but I just want to know if I'm missing something...

So you go to the track and try to run a mile as fast as you can, then collapse, and you do this over and over again?

1) You need to build up your endurance by running more. If this means you have to slow down a lot and even walk in order to run longer so be it.  Build up to where you can comfortably run 2-3 miles continuously, the pace does not matter.  In fact for these runs you might even leave the watch at home

2) If you insist on running the fastest mile you can right now, you need to warm up more thoroughly. For a mile, jog one lap, take a water break, Run the straights and walk the turns for another lap or two.  Maybe get up on your toes (i.e. run strides where you accelerate for 10-20 seconds, hold for 10-20 sec and decelerate) during those running portions.  take a 2-3 min break.   Stretching is not needed until you are done with the run.  Then go time your mile.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

3) After the run don't just plop down and get in your car.  Try to cool down by jogging/walking another lap or two, with some form exercises thrown in.

4) Report back in a month

Exactly what Happyfeet said.  Slow down to run longer.  It may seem counter-intuitive, but "speed" is probably not your limiter but rather "endurance".

DoppleBock

It would be like trying to max out weightlifting every time you lift ... maxing or racing is the test to see your improvement

I would run a mile time trial once a month ... if you really want to every other week

Let's say you are willing to invest 5 days a week

*  One a week day run longer ... Start with 12 laps jogging and keep adding a little more distance each week (maybe 1-2 more laps a week)

*  One day a week do 4 laps warm up slow - Then do 4 laps where you jog or walk the turns and then run the straights hard (4 laps = 8 straights hard ... not all out but 95% of all out effort)

*  One day a week run 2 lap warm up and then run 400 meters hard (95% of possible 1 lap speed) - then jog or walk 200 meters than run 400 meters hard then jog 200 - run 400 hard then walk a cool down lap.

*  2 days just jog for 8-12 laps.

Purpose of slow miles = Build endurance.  Purpose of running straights hard = Work on leg turnover and running efficiency.  Purpose of running the 400's hard = endurance at speed and lactic acid clearing.

Exactly what Happyfeet said.  Slow down to run longer.  It may seem counter-intuitive, but "speed" is probably not your limiter but rather "endurance".

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !