Bolt blew it (Read 2037 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Obviously, he is going to say that. Otherwise he comes across as a sore loser. So, he's really the last person to look to for an opinion on this. Anyways, I don't really know if a rule change is in order, either, even though I was arguing for it pretty relentlessly.

Oh, I think Bolt's initial anger was at himself, and he's genuinely accepting responsibility for his mistake.  Yeah, it's easier now that he won the 200.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, Jeff, I've noticed.  And that was my effort to end it. ;o) 

I don't think that quoting Bolt's opinion on whether he was to blame is particular relevant to Jeff's points, or really to much (if any) of the discussion on this thread. The debate did not seem to me to be about whether it was Bolt's fault -- not a very interesting issue (IMO) -- but about the more interesting issues of "fairness" in sprint starts, and ultimately, about whether reaction time is (or should be) a fundamental part of the sprint race. And whether sprinters would try to "cheat" the start, if given a chance.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And whether sprinters would try to "cheat" the start, if given a chance.

Professional athletes?  Cheat?  I think not!!

Why is it sideways?

Okay, obviously I was being a little nutty in this thread, but a similar situation just happened this weekend that to me sheds light on the preceding argument.

A high schooler just broke the US 55m indoor record, and it appears that he timed the start perfectly. See this thread for a good set of pictures and videos. It's clear that he anticipated the start from the video and photos, but no one is arguing that he should be disqualified. In fact, one poster talks about how sprinters often study the patterns of starters prior to a meet in order to anticipate the start better; this is part of the race.

I'm not sure what the best system is here.  Under the old rule the first person got a "freebie", but it was charged to the whole field so after that it was the same situation as today.  If you left everyone have a warning you could have half a dozen attempts to start the race.  Hmm.

I have a solution for that, partly in jest, so I know it would never fly. Every time you false start, your starting block moves back 1meter. 
            That takes away the "freebie" mentality.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Or, more simply, a half-second penalty for a false start.