Seeking Fat Acceptance (Read 3395 times)

xor

Sorry, but I disagree (I won't disagree violently) that Biggest Loser shows us much in the way of balance.  The generalized overweight population just doesn't have 8-10 hours a day to workout plus 14-16 hours a day to recover from these workouts for months on end.  Plus, BL is well-known for distorting truth in order to provide drama.  Through the use of frankenedits and other timeline ploys (well known example: they call it a "week", but many times it is more than a week between weigh-ins), what we SEE only bears some resemblance to how it went.

I have lots of big folks in my step-family.  They all watch BL and are amazed.  And they all say "well, I know I can't do that..." and so they don't do much of anything.  I don't blame BL for their inaction, but it surely doesn't seem to promote action in my family.

Plus, of course, BL's production company has been caught at least twice outright lying about what their contestants/performers have accomplished.  We all know that they got Dane to cheat in a marathon last year.  What people don't remember as well is that a couple shows before that one, they claimed that his brother finished a half ironman when, at that point, he had not.

Anyway, I have no doubt that BL is an inspiration for many.  But it has the opposite effect for me.  I believe it is the most manipulative show on television right now.

Slo

In line with this threads title but slightly off the threads direction.........

I get a kick out of the few who find the BMI scale so flawed.......Just because those that are athletic and carry a little extra muscle.....more than the norm.....will tip the scale and fall into the "overweight" column.

That is perfect proof to how being precieved as FAT is accepted.

If the BMI scale lables you as Obese......I can guarantee you one thing.....your Obese !

We are in the process of making our benefit elections for next year. If you are a smoker you will be paying higher premiums for medical. life and disability insurance......I'll bet we see the same when it comes to weight sometime in the not so distant future.

If it inspires people to DO something then it's great.  I suspect it just impresses people, inspires a few to make New Years resolutions.  Most likely they will soon feel like they aren't making any progress.  But nobody is going to watch a show where someone gets out of bed at 5 AM, run/walks for an hour, then goes to work at a normal job, eats relatively smart, and 2 years laters loses 20 pounds.  That's more boring than watching Donald Trump scowl at people.  And that's why I was so dissapointed with the new "V".  If it turned out that the aliens were here only to eat up all the fat people it perhaps could have been the inspirational show we are all looking for.

Imminent Catastrophe

IAnd that's why I was so dissapointed with the new "V".  If it turned out that the aliens were here only to eat up all the fat people it perhaps could have been the inspirational show we are all looking for.

Rule #1: Cardio.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Sorry, but I disagree (I won't disagree violently) that Biggest Loser shows us much in the way of balance.  The generalized overweight population just doesn't have 8-10 hours a day to workout plus 14-16 hours a day to recover from these workouts for months on end.  Plus, BL is well-known for distorting truth in order to provide drama.  Through the use of frankenedits and other timeline ploys (well known example: they call it a "week", but many times it is more than a week between weigh-ins), what we SEE only bears some resemblance to how it went.

I have lots of big folks in my step-family.  They all watch BL and are amazed.  And they all say "well, I know I can't do that..." and so they don't do much of anything.  I don't blame BL for their inaction, but it surely doesn't seem to promote action in my family.

Plus, of course, BL's production company has been caught at least twice outright lying about what their contestants/performers have accomplished.  We all know that they got Dane to cheat in a marathon last year.  What people don't remember as well is that a couple shows before that one, they claimed that his brother finished a half ironman when, at that point, he had not.

Anyway, I have no doubt that BL is an inspiration for many.  But it has the opposite effect for me.  I believe it is the most manipulative show on television right now.

+1

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

In line with this threads title but slightly off the threads direction.........

I get a kick out of the few who find the BMI scale so flawed.......Just because those that are athletic and carry a little extra muscle.....more than the norm.....will tip the scale and fall into the "overweight" column.

That is perfect proof to how being precieved as FAT is accepted.

If the BMI scale lables you as Obese......I can guarantee you one thing.....your Obese !

We are in the process of making our benefit elections for next year. If you are a smoker you will be paying higher premiums for medical. life and disability insurance......I'll bet we see the same when it comes to weight sometime in the not so distant future.

yeah... I'm part of the problem.  I'm one of the 66% of Americans that are overweight. 

That website also offered the defense that big boobs unfairly put women into the overweight and or obese categories.  Though frankly the defense was weak as none of them were shown naked. 

Slo

That website also offered the defense that big boobs unfairly put women into the overweight and or obese categories.  Though frankly the defense was weak as none of them were shown naked. 

I'll bet a guy with big man boobs would have a hard time claiming he was unfairly put him in the overweight column

And I wouldn't need to see him naked.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

yeah... I'm part of the problem.  I'm one of the 66% of Americans that are overweight. 

LOL, of course they have big boobs.  I did, too, when I was overweight.  I went from size D to A when I lost 30 pounds!  Even now, if I'm not  careful and gain back a couple of pounds, it goes straight to my boobs, so it's harder to run.  Good motivation to lose it again.

Lane

The generalized overweight population just doesn't have 8-10 hours a day to workout plus 14-16 hours a day to recover from these workouts for months on end.  

Nobody has any time to work out.  That's why we make time to work out.  Sometimes you have to get up early to work out or somehow find something else that you are going to give up in order to get your work out in.  This is a pet peeve of mine.  I agree that nobody will find 8-10 hours a day, but making 1-2 hours for exercise is definitely possible and more than necessary.

MTA: This isn't a general criticism of what you wrote; I agree with most of it.  I just hate when people use time as an excuse.

xor

Ok.

I wrote that in reference to the previous post that seemed to indicate that BL promotes "balance".  I disagree with the assertion; I wasn't trying to say more than that. 

A Saucy Wench

I agree with srl - BL isnt necessarily motivational for the obese.  Seriously, a marathon?  How many of you who run marathons have friends who think you are insane.  BL kind of promotes this idea that to lose weight you have to do these herculean feats. And really, losing 100 lbs in 6 weeks or whatever.  Not necessarily the best way. 

Although I wouldnt mind a week or two on the ranch.  Even with Dr. Phillian screaming at me.

On the other hand back to Trents very first post that seems to be eyerolling at these articles....The second article in fact promotes exactly what you preach.  Dont "diet"  dont count calories.  Eat good healthy food and move.    I am in total agreement with the second article for a lot of people.  For a lot of people the task of weight loss seems so overwhelming that to start seems futile.  Focusing on eating good foods and getting exercise and letting the scale go is a far better option than crash dieting.   To lose that kind of weight means making it the number one priority in your life for months on end. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

At which article did I roll my eyes?

Why is it sideways?

Aren't there two issues?

There first issue is the facts. Obesity is on the rise. This has social and personal costs. It's a problem. I don't think there are many who disagree with these facts.

The second issue is the social reactions to obesity. This is the ethical issue: what is the relation between social opprobrium towards the fat and solving the problem of obesity? Does ridicule or social isolation work to address the issue of obesity? It doesn't appear to work: there is plenty of social approbation against obesity, and yet obesity is on the rise. In fact, I think you could say that these two things are rising together--they seem to be correlated, not opposed.

I think many people in this thread are confusing these two issues. The fact that obesity is a problem is no justification for a particular reaction to that problem. Especially if that reaction seems to be particularly ineffective at solving the problem of obesity. The only thing it does seem to be effective in doing is punishing the obese. The case has to be made that negative social reactions that produce guilt and shame in the obese actually leads to solution of the problem of obesity. Without showing this sort of causal relation, there is no defense of the behavior.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Third issue: medical costs.  People question whether a business that makes money from withholding care would want to withhold care from those whose cost of care is higher.  Is this good business sense?  Is this discrimination?  Is this mixing issues?  Personally, I do not know the answer cuz I'm just an Assistant Prof. Wink

Why is it sideways?

Third issue: medical costs.  People question whether a business that makes money from withholding care would want to withhold care from those whose cost of care is higher.  Is this good business sense?  Is this discrimination?  Is this mixing issues?  Personally, I do not know the answer cuz I'm just an Assistant Prof. Wink

Didn't you take the Hippocratic Oath? What's all this nonsense about withholding care?

I agree, this is another issue and one that is not easy to resolve.