Seeking Fat Acceptance (Read 3395 times)

The one thing I love about being a big runner(6'3" 255lbs currently) is beating the skinny people in the races. They've gotta be thinking did that fat ass just beat me?Smile. When they beat me it's no biggie. They most likely weigh 100lbs less than me.

Plus not too many people are going to try and screw with you in a tightly bunched pack.  it was fun shoving the skinny kids off course or out into lane 3 if they got in my way in college

No...! Glad to read someone else gets it though! Candice, where are you?!

Howdy.

I boycott waterparks. Nice to meet you!

Scout7

The one thing I love about being a big runner(6'3" 255lbs currently) is beating the skinny people in the races. They've gotta be thinking did that fat ass just beat me?Smile. When they beat me it's no biggie. They most likely weigh 100lbs less than me.

Chances are most of them think no such thing.

under a rock

Chances are most of them think no such thing.

So true!

i hate threads where the replies are longer than 2 lines. I have a severe case of ADD today.

but this thread is slowly improving.

A Saucy Wench

i hate threads where the replies are longer than 2 lines. I have a severe case of ADD today.

This should serve you well in med school

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My college roommate was a nursing major, but she decided to go to med school when she was 30 (she got tired of being bossed around by doctors who didn't follow the rules).  I wondered how she would do, because she definitely had dyslexia.  She was always getting phone numbers reversed when she left me messages.  Sure enough, the first year was a nightmare for her, and she didn't pass.  The school let her retake the classes, and she made it!  Now she's an ob/gyn, practicing medicine at a hospital on an Indian reservation in Oklahoma.  She really loves what she does.

an amazing likeness

What are the odds...?

http://www.bookofodds.com/Health-Illness/Diet-Fitness/Odds/The-odds-an-adult-is-obese-are-1-in-3.91-US-2007

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

heh

true dat

jpnairn

straw man

And of course I get the "you are so lucky...." from the same people who tell me that I run too much

Yeah, I've heard that, too. I suppose it follows that if it's not your fault if you're fat, then if you're not fat, you're just lucky.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

under a rock

Yeah, I've heard that, too. I suppose it follows that if it's not your fault if you're fat, then if you're not fat, you're just lucky.

I love it when people say to me, "I bet you can eat as much as you want." My response is, "Yes, I could. But I'd end up fat."

Feeling the growl again

I have little sympathy or tolerance for people who will not take personal responsibility.  I have no sympathy for people who didn't read their subprime mortgage or bought more than they could afford and ran up tens of thousands in credit card bills.

Likewise, I have little sympathy for people who can't control their weight then get all pissy when they are treated differently than skinny people.  If you want to be treated skinny...well...get skinny.

There IS a variance in how hard it is for some people to lose weight.  My 60+ year-old mother in law can eat me under the table, to the point that she is almost insulted when we go to an all-you-can-eat buffet when they are paying ( "he just doesn't know how to eat buffett!  What a waste!").  Yet she weights 110 lbs and it has taken me all summer to fight off 6 lbs because I'm only running 30mpw now instead of 70+ and practically starving myself most days.

But it's all about personal responsibility.  I was a fat teenager, I didn't like it, so I sucked it up and worked myself down and intermittently do corrections.

I'm tired of being singled out for being skinny.  My car seats are designed for 250lb people and are uncomfortable for skinny people.  I'm tired of jealous idiots yelling Run Forrest Run (though the frequency is thankfully decreasing) while lounging in their obeseness on the porch.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Too funny about your MIL, spaniel!

I really think I won't bite my tongue anymore when someone tells me, "Oh, I can't run because XYZ."  Nonsense, 99% of the time.  Maybe they don't WANT to run, but in most cases, they COULD.'

jpnairn

straw man

"I can't run because XYZ" always makes me think of Sarah Reinertsen on the cover of Runners World.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Imminent Catastrophe

Or change the current subsidies that promkote overproduction of corn and soy.

Or do they? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016