Seeking Fat Acceptance (Read 3395 times)

runjanerun

Chances are most of them think no such thing.

I agree, but some certainly do.  You know it when you actually overhear them targeting the bigger chick.   (Even when my body fat gets pretty low, which admittedly it isn't right now, though it's going in the right direction after medical issues resolved, I do not look like the typical runner).  I do take some satisfaction in training hard and crushing most the people I have ever heard make a comment.

Then, it's not normally the people at the very front of the pack worrying about such things (they just want to beat everyone, not some isolated person) so it isn't necessarily a challenge.

I feel like I can see both sides of an issue.  Though people seldom call me lucky.  Normally when people see how much I run and spend enough time with me to see how much I eat (or when I got my metabolism tested with that fancy breathing apparatus), I get sympathy.  That's actually annoying in and of itself, because I feel like I, like everyone, has to deal with the hand dealt, and lord knows it's not the worst thing to deal with of all the possible issues I could have and that other people have had.

I don't lack any acceptance of an overweight (or underweight or whatever) individual though.  It really has nothing to do with me, and everyone deserves basic decency and not to be judged or demeaned for something so trivial.

xor

Zombie thread!  Yes!

dennrunner

Ever see a fat zombie? Unacceptable.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I guess I'm like an ex-smoker, in that I managed to "kick the habit" and now I think if I can do it, anyone can!  I WAS fat, and through a lot of hard work I'm not anymore.  I feel so much better, physically and mentally.  I've kept the weight off for almost two years (November 1, 2007 was when I reached my goal weight).  I know that some people have medical conditions that make it impossible for them to lose weight, but I don't think that means 66% of Americans should be overweight!

As my uncle the smoker said to my father the ex-smoker, "There's no one more sanctimonious than a reformed whore."  Then my father went on to outlive my uncle by 30+ years.

As my uncle the smoker said to my father the ex-smoker, "There's no one more sanctimonious than a reformed whore."  Then my father went on to outlive my uncle by 30+ years.

Felt a bit smug when he was right? :P

I think I'm the worst person in the world for this! I quit smoking, and then got fat. I lost some weight, and started smoking again (but was still fat). Anyway, so I lost my weight, whilst a smoker, and have now quit smoking. So I'm a reformed smoker (recently) and a reformed fatty! (Although it's bloody hard to stop eating as a recent ex-smoker) :P

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

Maggie & Molly

Felt a bit smug when he was right? :P

I think I'm the worst person in the world for this! I quit smoking, and then got fat. I lost some weight, and started smoking again (but was still fat). Anyway, so I lost my weight, whilst a smoker, and have now quit smoking. So I'm a reformed smoker (recently) and a reformed fatty! (Although it's bloody hard to stop eating as a recent ex-smoker) :P

ex smoker here too who totally gained all my weight after I quit.  still working on the losing though......but I am a horrible reformed smoker - zero tolerance for it at all.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

ex smoker here too who totally gained all my weight after I quit.  still working on the losing though......but I am a horrible reformed smoker - zero tolerance for it at all.

I'm one of the weird ones that lost weight after quitting.  I couldn't sit down!  When I did have one of those times when I couldn't stop eating I found that brushing my teeth when I finished my meal worked well for me plus sitting down properly to eat instead of picking at food.  

Even today I sometimes have those "can't stop eating" fazes (emotional + stress + access to salty or sweet junk food) like I had post quitting and I find myself using the brush my teeth trick again. Usually works.

I know that quitting smoking is very difficult and I wish I could help smokers but I know that what worked for me doesn't really work for others.  But I hate being exposed to smoking and avoid anyone smoking around me.  I had cancer since I quit smoking and I get upset at young girls who smoke.  When I was going through chemo I saw a group of young girls smoking and I felt like yanking off my wig and telling them that smoking is glamorous because you get a new hairdo.   

As far as being overweight is concerned I think people have to accept the fact that too much fat is not a healthy thing and that maintaining low body fat percentage is important to prevent problems in the long run.  There is too much evidence to suggest that it should be ignored.  I have many overweight relatives, my Mom was overweight, I was as a kid but I'm not now.  I watch what my relatives eat and they eat and drink empty calories, too much fast food and just plain too much food period. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Ex fatty, and current Fatty

Not morbidly obese, but, at 5' 10" I have been (and currently am) over 200 lbs.  And, I have also been 145 lbs.

I'm also a "victim" of "thin" discrimination.   When I was 145 lbs, I was constantly getting the "You're too thin, it's unhealthy" line.  And yes, mostly from fattys.  And, yeah, I'm calling them fattys, and I am one now.  And there is no one at fault other than me.

Yet, if you look at the BMI charts, I was in the middle.  Not that I have a problem with the BMI charts, but, if I had gone down to the low end of the charts, I would have been all bones.

As it was, I had visible veins all over the place, my iliac (pelvis) was very prominent, my collar bone was sticking out, I did look really thin. 

Anyway, like I mentioned, I've been fat, I've been thin.  I sure as hell felt better about myself when I was thin, and could run a marathon.  it was awesome.  And it was only 5 years ago.

At the moment, I can't run a mile without walking some. 

But, do I "make fun" of fat people?  No. 

Do I look at fat people (including myself) with disdain (to myself, like I would never say anything about it to them)?  Yes. 

Do I think that they themselves are the reason they are fat?  Yes.

I agree, in some cases, and very, very, very, very few cases, it's a genetic issue, yes, it's not their fault, but otherwise...stop putting so much food in your mouth and move more, and you'll lose weight. 

And as for the cost issue.  Baloney.   Can of tuna, $1.50.  Loaf of bread, $3.00.  A pound of apples, what, $3.00?  That supplies you with two lunches (and lots of left over bread for something else).  That's way cheaper than McDonald's.  Bottle of salad dressing and a head of lettuce, maybe a can of beans or crown of broccoli.  Not expensive.

Fat people are fat because of themselves.  And I am no exception.

Love the zombie thread, by the way.

Jeff

I'm also a "victim" of "thin" discrimination.   When I was 145 lbs, I was constantly getting the "You're too thin, it's unhealthy" line.

Isn't it interesting that it's perfectly acceptable in polite company to tell someone they're too skinny--even if they're not--but telling someone they're too fat is strictly taboo in almost all circumstances?

Runners run

And as for the cost issue.  Baloney.   Can of tuna, $1.50.  Loaf of bread, $3.00.  A pound of apples, what, $3.00?  That supplies you with two lunches (and lots of left over bread for something else).  That's way cheaper than McDonald's.  Bottle of salad dressing and a head of lettuce, maybe a can of beans or crown of broccoli.  Not expensive.

Yeah, I've never really understood the cost argument.  Heard it many times, but never really got it.  If you're buying produce, bread, eggs, etc., how is it even remotely possible that eating fast/junk food for every meal is going to be cheaper in the long run?!  I mean sure, 2L of milk costs more than 2L of Coke, but I'm guessing cost isn't the big factor on that one.  Nobody is standing in the grocery store with a bottle of Coke in one hand and a carton of milk in the other, and making the call purely from a budget perspective. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Yeah, I've never really understood the cost argument.  Heard it many times, but never really got it.  If you're buying produce, bread, eggs, etc., how is it even remotely possible that eating fast/junk food for every meal is going to be cheaper in the long run?!  I mean sure, 2L of milk costs more than 2L of Coke, but I'm guessing cost isn't the big factor on that one.  Nobody is standing in the grocery store with a bottle of Coke in one hand and a carton of milk in the other, and making the call purely from a budget perspective. 

I'll give in to ONE of the cost issues.  It really does depend on where you live.

For example, I live near (and not in, thank God), Camden, NJ.  There are NO large grocery stores in the city of Camden.  Unless they travel outside the city, and a lot of the residents do not have cars, they can not get decent groceries.  I do not know if there are any busses that run from Camden to areas near a grocery store.

HOWEVER, that doesn't excuse the fatties that live in my RICH town (although I'm not one of the rich ones, I've lived there 20 years, WAY since before it became fashionable), and all the other well-to-do suburbs around Camden.

Also, another factor, it can take some time to make a proper meal, even with "whole" ingredients.  But, in my mind, that's still no excuse for the average fatty.  Like me.

Jeff

Isn't it interesting that it's perfectly acceptable in polite company to tell someone they're too skinny--even if they're not--but telling someone they're too fat is strictly taboo in almost all circumstances?

Oddly enough, even now that I'm fat, I was talking to a budd the other day, who still, to this day, said I was too thin when I was 145.  Never mind that I could go out and run 10 miles every day.  And, went to the gym to lift and swim 3 times a week.

I was unhealthy. 

Jeff

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tech Tee is right.  I read that in a large area of Oakland, there are NO grocery stores, but there are 40 bars!  Ack.

xor

Tech Tee is right.  I read that in a large area of Oakland, there are NO grocery stores, but there are 40 bars!  Ack.

Downtown Seattle, except it is more like 400 bars. And at least 2 McDonalds, etc etc etc.

Well, they built a grocery store on the edge of downtown a few years back. Whole Foods.  Too rich for my blood.

Downtown Seattle, except it is more like 400 bars. And at least 2 McDonalds, etc etc etc.

Well, they built a grocery store on the edge of downtown a few years back. Whole Foods.  Too rich for my blood.

There are some bargains to be had at Whole Foods.  There is one near me in one of the rich suburbs, and if you do your research, some of the stuff (NOT PRODUCE, however) is cheaper than your average grocery store.

They bank on the fact that you're there, you get the cheap stuff, and you buy more of the expensive stuff.  For example, the meat and fish prices are through the friggin' roof.

yet, I do like to shop there sometimes, and a lot of their stuff is local.

Then again, in NJ, at least in the summer and early fall, it is not hard to shop local at all,at least for produce.  It's called the Garden State for a reason.  And it still is.  Yes, up by Newark, and the airport and the oil refineries, it's pretty awful.  But, most other places, especially down south, there are farms and farms and farms.  And farmer's markets all over the place, and they actually grow the stuff there.

Jeff