Cross country race tomorrow, any tips? (Read 123 times)

Joann Y

I have found myself in the situation that I am running my first cross country race tomorrow, sort of on a whim. I'm approaching it with the idea that it will be a new experience (so decreased expectations) but still, I want to be as competitive as I can. Is there stuff I should know or at least act like I know? Like where to line up at the mass start or whether or not to wear spikes (not that I have any but I do have soccer cleats..prob a dumb idea), etc. I imagine that this will just be a whole lot of fun (as long as I don't completely embarrass myself). The club I'm running with is a club I joined over the summer but then completely neglected to be involved with for whatever logistical and real/made-up reasons. So, I am also seeing this race as an opportunity to get to know some of these people and further my involvement with the club.

mikeymike

Have a blast. That's all I got.

Well, that and: don't wear soccer cleats. Spikes are nice if you have them but not necessary.

Runners run

kcam

Line up at the start with your club members, you're a team in this race.  At the end don't let anyone pass you and try to pass anyone who's close because finishing PLACE (not time) is uber-important in XC races.  I suspect you're gonna have a lot of fun out there!  Oh and no soccer shoes.

C-R

We ran USATF National XC today and it was a blast. Toe the line and run with all you got. Enjoy the pain and the dirt. It was a blast and I can't wait for the next one.

Run hard and enjoy it. That's all I have.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Having only run a couple cross-country races in high school, I can't agree with the "no soccer cleats" advice, because they served me damn well.  I guess it depends if you're a soccer player or not.  I'd take mikey's advice on it, though.

Have a great time and just remember to _race_ -- screw the clock.  (it's actually pretty liberating)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Joann Y

Very cool, thanks guys. Have a blast and RACE(!!)..... got it! And I'll leave the cleats at home.

Member Since 2008

Run, Run real fast.

Joann Y

Well, I didn't break any land speed records but I did have a super fun time. Of course everyone was super cool and laid back. The course was really freaking cold and windy and a little soft in spots but it didn't matter much with it only being 5k. I did think that there could be a chance that I would be dead last but I managed not to be and scored all kinds of points (ha!) for my team. They needed a fourth woman and I guess they took what they could get. Hanging out after was the best part and I will totally be doing this again.