Spontaneity (Read 808 times)

I was wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this. Right now I'm in early training for another marathon and I've realized that being on a schedule gets old after a while. I can't really explain why I like to run, it's just part of who I am almost. My main goal is to be able to run ultras eventually. There are many days I'll wake up and for no reason want to try to go out all run 50 or 100 miles (slow of course) to see where I end up and just to see if I can. In my head I know this is probably one of the worst possible ideas from a physical standpoint but on the other hand training for something like it would take away from the spontaneity. My question is, has anyone else had thoughts like this, or am I just crazy. Has anyone gone through with it and been successful. Not having any sort of concrete reason for why I'm a runner doesn't always go well with being on a solid training regiment.

Giants Fan

I am in the middle of training for a marathon as well, just starting to feel the same way. So, I've decided to start concentrating on it day by day and not look at the big picture. Just wanted you to know you are not alone!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Half Fanatic #846

I've wondered the same kinds of things, that is - what if I just run each day (or not) as far as I want to and how I want to, without paying attention to pre-planned mileage or a schedule. I would still log my runs and keep tabs on mileage. My guess is that I would overtrain (run too much) and become injured at some point, but if I listened to my body closely, just maybe I could "walk the line". I've almost been tempted to try, but to scared to follow thru...I wouldn't try it while training for a race though. Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Giants Fan

No I agree, I need a plan to follow (mostly for the easy days) or I tend to go out and run too hard or too far every day (for my body). BUT there is something lost when you feel you can't just go out and do what you feel like for the day because you are following something. Guess I have to keep reminding myself of long term goal. Enter marathon, run marathon, and finish without dying or hitting the wall! Tongue

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

JimR

I've long since abandoned schedules and plans. My best marathon effort had no schedule, just a simple set of rules of a long run, a mid-long, one or two quality sessions a week and the rest of it easy. When I headed out an a Tuesday morning, maybe I'd run 4 or 5 slow, or maybe I'd run it near tempo pace if I felt like it. I only got picky during taper, cuz you can blow 5 months worth of training in taper if you do it wrong.
              After the first one, I think that is the approach I'll take. The first time, one has to be guided...

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

JakeKnight

You run for joy. If a training schedule is diminishing that joy, why on Earth would you stick to it? Besides, training schedules are ridiculously over-rated. If you're planning to compete in Beijing, yeah, you need to stick to a specific, carefully crafted schedule. But if you're like 99% of runners, you don't even need a schedule. Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes fast. Sometimes on hills. And if you feel like running 50 miles, knock yourself out. Take a nap the next day, and don't get hurt. I can count on one hand the number of people on this site who are at the level where they probably really need to be stressing a schedule to improve. The rest of us just need to run lots. And if you're not having fun, you won't run a lot.
                In my head I know this is probably one of the worst possible ideas from a physical standpoint
                Says who? My current marathon PR came 3 weeks after just such a stupid stunt. If you want to run, go run. Personally, I'm running at 5 am with a beer in my hand tomorrow. Because it'll be fun. And it won't kill me. And I don't have to worry about the Olympics just yet.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Ostrich runner

I think the approaches we take are similar. I don't run on a schedule, I don't wear a watch while I run (and I often don't take note of when I leave), I don't decide how far or fast I'm going to run until I'm a ways into the run. I have (somewhat nebulous) goals that seem to pan out.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

You run for joy.
                    Erm, a little too hippy-dippy for me. I don't run for joy. I run to accomplish my goals. Accomplishing my goals gives me joy. Well, actually accomplishing my goals gives me personal satisfaction, a sense of accomplishment, and pride. Joy? not so much.
                    If a training schedule is diminishing that joy, why on Earth would you stick to it?
                    See above. Sometimes I hate the run that's on the schedule, but I'm smart enough to know that it will get me one step closer to my goals. The schedule is the means the end.
                    Besides, training schedules are ridiculously over-rated. If you're planning to compete in Beijing, yeah, you need to stick to a specific, carefully crafted schedule.
                    Different strokes for different folks. What works for you isn't necessarily right for everyone. In my opinion, generalizations like "training schedules are ridiculously over-rated" aren't very useful; that being said, I've come to expect a fair amount of hyperbole from some posters on this site, so I'll assume you weren't really making a blanket recommendation. Because I'm sure you know that more people safely train to complete their running, fitness and weight-loss goals because they do follow a sound, well-designed schedule than because they don't -- and I think that's true whether their goals are gold in Beijing or simply graduating C25K.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

To some extent, yes. I've never trained by a strict schedule since the first 6 months I ran. My first few years were largely just building time on legs, trying to avoid injury, learning how my body reacts to various stresses (like various sizes and steepnesses of hills), etc. Exploration runs are sometimes an important part of my running. And most long runs usually have some foto fartleks in them. Since I run trails 99% of the time and have been building toward "running / hiking for many hours through the woods and above treeline" (some call this "ultra" for short) and run year round in Alaska, no standard running schedule could even approach providing adequate training. I'll generally have races I want to do and count back from there as to loose goals (total volume, long run length, long run up/down) that I need to achieve by then. This general outline provides some guidelines to keep me on track. If I'm 6 months out from a race, I allow a lot of slack in goal achieving - I've learned not to fight Ma Nature in Alaska winter. But as I get within a few months then a few weeks, I stick closer to what I think I need, being careful not to overdo something. If doing 38 mi by trail with no road intersections, that's a great motivator to get one's butt in gear and build adequate base to support that. As I've gotten more base this year, this is probably the first year that some of what I do seems more like "training" than just "running". (Looking forward to my race in August so I can do more "just running" for a bit.) For my goals, I've found certain trails work better than others. That combined with cost of gas and some other stuff has had me mostly rotating among 3 trails I drive to plus a couple out-my-door trails this year. In past years, but after I retired, I might use 10 trails. When I want to do any easy run without being tempted to go faster, I'll explore new trails - maybe fartleking as the trail varies from easy to follow to "where did the trail go". Enjoy running from the heart!
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog